Options

What certification is useful for RAN engineer?

VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been seeing job opening for RAN engineers near my town but I have no idea what they do and what qualifications. Does anyone know what certification is useful for this position?

Required Qualifications
Associates degree in Engineering, Math or Sciences.
3-5 years of progressive successful development as an engineer.
Strong knowledge of and the ability to solve complex issues in the areas of RF engineering principles (RF communications theory, design principles, network optimization, propagation modeling and prediction, etc.) and vendor capability assessment, Network architecture (3GPP Air interface, standards, technology and evolution, etc.), Vendor capability assessment and Wireless engineering principles (cell site/tower design, attributes and specifications, and RAN design, spectrum/frequency planning, etc.).
Fully proficient with Hardware (Cell ite equipment layout, network infrastructures), Performance Management (System KPIs and metrics, etc.), and Software (Parameter definition, etc).
Desired Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Math or Sciences

Comments

• Options
    symplycyussymplycyus Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,i know this is a pretty old thread but was wondering if you got an answer at that time or later on in private or other way ? as i am in the same situation but i have some material documentation that help but would be useful to have a course so i can back up the gaps so i understand fully much easier the documentation i have and the question that are alreayd responde for the test that will follow.Hope you can help ,thanks in advance and help much appreciate
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    If you click his name you'll see his last post was on " 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM ".
    So it is very unlikely he will reply to you.

What is a RAN engineer

http://www.ieee-wcet.org/
    meh
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well if RAN means Radio Access Network then why not try some Cisco Networking/Wireless/Voice certs?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    not a lot of certs for this type of work. Telecommunications, probably for a mobile company. Telecom is a whole world of it's own
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    symplycyus wrote: »
    Hello,i know this is a pretty old thread but was wondering if you got an answer at that time or later on in private or other way ? as i am in the same situation but i have some material documentation that help but would be useful to have a course so i can back up the gaps so i understand fully much easier the documentation i have and the question that are alreayd responde for the test that will follow.Hope you can help ,thanks in advance and help much appreciate

You will be working(i guess) a lot on site implementations, so some PM knowledge can help you.
    CCNA, is always good to have basic networking knowledge.
    I'm not sure how useful cisco wireless certs are for a RAN eng, as the wireless concepts are differents.

Vendor specific certs are more useful, ericsson, huawei, alcatel o whatever you will be using.