microsoft fundamental exams

darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
i guess network fundamentals = Network+
Security fundamentals = security +

i can't see the point of doing the new microsoft exam if i have Comptia N+ & S+

Am i right????

Comments

• Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I have the Sec+ and Net+ certs and I can definitely say that the Microsoft exams are MUCH tougher and test your knowledge in a great deal more detail than Sec+ or Net+. If I were hiring someone I would put a lot more weight with a Microsoft MCSE or MCITP:EA cert than I would Sec+ or Net+. The Microsoft certs just show you know the material in more detail and you would more than likely be better prepared for an IT support or installation position. This is, of course all IMHO.
  • darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your response

I have A+, N+, Server+, Security+, MCP Win2000, MCDST.
    Currently studying MCT Win7.
    I dont have any Specific Server Exams

The Microsoft road map for entry level network/ server Adminstrator suggests
    MTA Server 2008 fundamentals, Security Fundamentals, Networking Fundamentals and MCT Network Infrastructure

I thought if i have N+ and Security+ all i would need is MTA Server and MCT Network Infrastructure. And maybe throw in Exchange Server for good luck and CWTS ( just to keep up with lastest wireless stuff since i did my N+).

I'm not in the industry, do it as a hobby. Maybe looking in the future as employment.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    how did the MCDST compare to A+/N+ in terms of difficulty?
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    found MCDST not thta much harder really
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I have the Sec+ and Net+ certs and I can definitely say that the Microsoft exams are MUCH tougher and test your knowledge in a great deal more detail than Sec+ or Net+. If I were hiring someone I would put a lot more weight with a Microsoft MCSE or MCITP:EA cert than I would Sec+ or Net+. The Microsoft certs just show you know the material in more detail and you would more than likely be better prepared for an IT support or installation position. This is, of course all IMHO.

You're talking about different exams than the OP. The MS fundamental exams-though I have not taken any-are not on the same level as the exams for MCSE or MCITP. Just look at the networking one Networking Fundamentals
    I seriously doubt these exams are any tougher than the CompTIA exams.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I've read, the MTA exams (which is what OP is asking about) are significantly easier than their Comptia equivalents. They also have absolutely no market value. They are only for students -- in fact, I don't think you can take them if you aren't enrolled at a specific school that uses them as part of its curriculum.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340