Options

Lvl 1/2 Network Engineers

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm looking to make a jump from sys admin to network admin but I need more info about what I'm jumping into.

What are the typical duties of a level 1 net admin? Same with a level 2.

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    it varies greatly from company to company

some will be handling NOC duties, others will make configuration changes, others will be running cable and racking hardware, some will do all of the above. there's no hard and fast definition, so your best bet is to check the job description of the company you're looking to do the work for
  • Options
    At the moment, there is no job description; they are looking for a range of n/w engineers from turkeys to project managers. Just trying to find what level suits me the best. Hopefully a more technical turkey than cable runner.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    At the moment, there is no job description; they are looking for a range of n/w engineers from turkeys to project managers. Just trying to find what level suits me the best. Hopefully a more technical turkey than cable runner.

Who is they? The nature of the work can vary depending on the kind of company doing the hiring. If its a large shop or service provider you can expect a NOC doing the monitoring, operations supporting and doing change control and a project team doing design work for customers or improving the infrastructure.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Who is they? The nature of the work can vary depending on the kind of company doing the hiring. If its a large shop or service provider you can expect a NOC doing the monitoring, operations supporting and doing change control and a project team doing design work for customers or improving the infrastructure.

It's a huge mining/resource company. So probably what you just mentioned. I'll see if an interview comes up.

EDIT: So from what I've read on this forum, this is fairly naff work, yeah?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    It's a huge mining/resource company. So probably what you just mentioned. I'll see if an interview comes up.

EDIT: So from what I've read on this forum, this is fairly naff work, yeah?

Yeah it can suck balls. Move on up!