Options

If you had to do all over again

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
If you had to do all over again would you change your career path at all?

***Forgive me if there has been a post about this, I am sure that it has, but I wanted to discuss this today.

Personally for me I would of focused on finance or accounting as my BS. Then I would of immediately tried to get into a business analyst role or some lower level analyst position.

At that point I would of tried to leverage that postion into a business / IT hybrid postion. Supporting financial applications and coming up with end user solutions. Even high level reporting would of been a job function I would of been really interested in and potentially data mining large datasets.

Anyway that's my reversal in time. (BTW I am still trying to get there).

I plan on finishing up some loose ends and then enrolling into a data analytics / data mining certificate from one of the many graduate schools around the area. Also looking into the continuing education in business warehousing and business intelligence. I don't have the time for all of these, but I do plan on taking SQL business developer 70-433 coming up and then focusing more on statistical analysis and business intelligence.

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh sheesh, the things I would do different, but then again I'm 39 and just now trying to get into the game.

I think the biggest thing I'd change though would be 8-9 years ago when I first started studying to get into IT. Found out I had a daughter on the way and got a mailroom job with a big corporation (with lots of room for advancement). Took the job and stopped studying. Now I'm not working (after 9 years with only 2 promotions (both within the first 1.5 years)) and I think where I'd be if I'd've continued studying and applied for IT jobs while still working at the mailroom/data entry.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I wouldn't have gone to school for programming, which I didn't finish. That's student loan debt that I just didn't need and it hasn't done me a lick of good. I would have been better off just finding some job somewhere and working instead. Other than that i'm fairly happy with how everything else has turned out so far. I've still got a few more decades I can screw up and learn from. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I would have gone into Law Enforcement instead. I would have then tried to get into the Forensic side of things. This would have given me the opportunity to relocate easier to the areas I want to go to.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd have been Hugh Hefner :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would have started school a half a year earlier and I would have also managed my money better. Although, I'm pretty good with my money such as resisting temptations to buy a ton of computer stuff.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    If you had to do all over again would you change your career path at all?

***Forgive me if there has been a post about this, I am sure that it has, but I wanted to discuss this today.

Personally for me I would of focused on finance or accounting as my BS. Then I would of immediately tried to get into a business analyst role or some lower level analyst position.

At that point I would of tried to leverage that postion into a business / IT hybrid postion. Supporting financial applications and coming up with end user solutions. Even high level reporting would of been a job function I would of been really interested in and potentially data mining large datasets.

Anyway that's my reversal in time. (BTW I am still trying to get there).

I plan on finishing up some loose ends and then enrolling into a data analytics / data mining certificate from the many graduate schools around the area. Also looking into the continuing education in business warehousing and business intelligence. I don't have the time for all of these, but I do plan on taking SQL business developer 70-433 coming up andthen focusing more on statistical analysis and business intelligence.

I would have got my Associates in my early 20’s and that’s about it. I took classes here and there, but I failed a few and got academic suspension. Dropping out or going for an incomplete is way better than getting an “F”.
    If I had my associates, I would probably have my Bachelors of art of master degree by now. Personally, I don’t think I would be the same person today if I changed any aspect of my life. I probably wouldn’t have met my wonderful girlfriend, which I love very much. I believe everything happens for a reason.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I would have skipped A+/Net+

I would have started my college earlier instead of taking a 2 year break from high school to college. (AND DO ONLINE COLLEGE! I so wish I did online college icon_sad.gif )

I would have attempted to get into a more security centric role faster. Although I did it rather quickly.

I also wish I started gunning for certifications all the while through college FT/working FT instead of just at the end of college.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I for certain would have start in on the certification paths earlier. I didn't take it seriously. I didn't "get it" when I was younger. If I had done that I might be much better off right now. A lot of opportunities have been handed to me and I couldn't handle because I wasn't ready.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I for certain would have start in on the certification paths earlier.
    +1
    I would have pushed for the certs instead of taking a 5 year hiatus :) from studying. I got way too comfortable at my first IT role. During my 3 years there I would have done my MCSE and CCNA and maybe a Masters like my parents suggested. But the money was still well spent, I got married and went on two Caribbean cruises :) life is still good!
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    ::sigh:: Don't get me started. . .

I would've finished college sooner, and pushed to earn big certs like MCSE/MCNE/CCNP sooner rather than chasing some of the "little" ones (e.g. Linux+).

Lately, I'm thinking I should have stashed more money away sooner. Money can make nicer landings out of hard falls. :)

Let me get on a soapbox for a moment. . . to the "younger" TE followers: get your degree(s) BEFORE you get hitched and have kids if at all possible. Doing a school program and chasing little ones around can be QUITE draining.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Retrospectively the only thing I think I would change for certain would be avoid going to college. I found it a complete waste of time and $$$.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Stayed at the telephone company where I worked. Even though they were working us to death, they didn't complain about us being 20 min late or decided to work from home when we felt like it, had a 20 million dollar lab for about 20 engineers to break fix work solutions and we had awesome hosted VOIP platform that we were rolling out that I was a part of. I left for greener pastures which only stayed green for a few months.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    In my family, I was raised to think education was priority. Although it is important, I now think work experience trumps all when it comes someones career (well a mixture of exp/edu/certs does but anyway..).

I got my A+ cert the summer before college. I started off majoring in Computer Engineering. During my first semester of college I got offered a job as a video game tester at Midway that I turned down. A year later I changed my major to Business IS despite what 9/11 did to the IT industry. Then a year later I got offered a full time job at Belkin but that would require me to delay school and move from San Diego to LA (I didn't even apply or have an interview). Got offered another job at the University computer lab, but turned it down because I didn't want to give up my vacation plans for the summer.

Then comes after graduation, for months I had the hardest time finding a decent job which I blame mainly because of my lack of work experience. I settled working for a small business doing half IT and half office tasks even though I knew from the start it was rather less than decent gig. What reeled me in was that they were wanting to upgrade their ancient Unix server to a Windows Server. 5 years later to now it never happened.

So there's a lot I wish I could do different. Back then I only wanted balance between school / social / family life. I would've taken all those job offers even tho it would take 5-6 years to get a Bachelor degree. Those job offers were basically handed to me on a silver platter! I later found that my colleague who took that video game testing job ended up with Sony upon graduation. Maybe even sticking with Computer Engineering, with determination I could've passed all those math/science classes, but nooo i wussed out. My loyalness to where I am working at now, I was hoping it would turn out better but no improvement what so ever. Buying a condo 4 years ago also screwed me up.

I also abandoned the whole certification thing, I started off young and early at 18 with A+. I could have easily done any CompTIA certs during college. Now here I am wanting all these certs, sometimes I feel like I'm in panic mode.

Oh well, the story of my life, lol. I'm about to turn 30 soon, some people say I'm still "young" but I certainly would've been more well off at this point if I paid more attention and made the right decisions to prepare for a career.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would have finished a BS before I moved to SC. That is probably the major change I would have made. I also wish I had started working IT years sooner.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1) Gone to Seton Hall University.

2) Studied either Pre-Law or History.

3) Gone to Law School (either Rutgers or Seton Hall)

4) Had a decent practice.

5) Call one of you guys for my IT issues instead of learning/doing it myself. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Instead....I...

1) Did the bare minimum in high school and got in a third-tier public school.

2) Pledged a fraternity my first semester and partied like it was no tomorrow and forgot about going to class.

3) Got a full time job doing IT work.

4) I now go to school online for a BS degree in IT...15 years later. (Better late than never, right? icon_cool.gif )

5) Will apply for the same school I wanted to go to for my BS to earn my Masters.

Mind you, I have a number of options Post-WGU...including getting a Graduate Certificate in CyberSecurity, which would be paid for. But as of now, I'm considering SHU as one of my top three-four.
  • Options
    IPDirectIPDirect Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually did 5 years of pre-med, took a year off to study for MCATs, and then spent 2 years in medical school. I never once cared for bio, medicine, health care, but I did it because my parents basically told me I had to, and they paid for it. All my family and parent's friends think I've lost my mind, blah blah.

I'm 27 now, just barely finished up my CCNA, getting into CCNA Voice, and then CCNP Voice. I see these people who started their certifications and training at 18-21yo and envy them. I feel as though I'm playing catch up and part of me wants to try and move really really fast so I can. Not sure why I care so much, but I do.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    1) Finish a CS degree and go the programming route.

2) Go to medical school and become a Pathologist.

I work in a hospital and see the kind of money that Dr.s bring in, but I don't have the personality to deal with patients all day. I've worked in the Pathology lab, though, and really found it interesting.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Given the wealth of life experience I now have (hahaha) there is plenty I would have done different. I suggest any members we have that are in high school, truly read the posts in this thread. I never realized how little you are prepared to make those big life decisions. You turn 18 and it's "Have fun you're an adult now." I graduated with a vague idea of what I thought I wanted to do, 6 major changes later I am on a path that I can deal with. So here's what I would have done:

1. Take a year off after high school - there are a lot of programs now that allow you to travel and gain experience through volunteering all over the world.

1a. Join the military - I came very close to joining the National Guard, but my parents talked me out of it.

Point of 1 and 1a - Get some life experience and truly find out what you want to do. Once the bills start coming in you will take any job that will cover those bills.

2. Go to college - Do community college first, to again work on finding out what you really want to do. The first two years you are taking fundamentals that almost every major requires. I also found that most schools will count courses for general requirements so that you don't fall behind when you go for the 4 year degree

2a. On a personal note I would have done one of the following: Software Engineering, Computer Science, History, or Philosophy. Would have went to a state school for any of these.

3. Keep an eye on my finances so that I didn't become a slave to my debtors.

That's what I would have done...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have gone the military route after high school. Back in those days I didn't have as strong of a feeling about how sacred our freedoms are. I would love the opportunity to serve this country, and have given it strong thought at my current age (turning 30 in March) but the present situation with shared placement and custody of my son would be jeopardized if I opted to serve.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are several things I'd have done earlier, but I don't know about differently.
    • Finished up my transfer-requirements at the community college while I was still living at home with my parents.
    • Done A+ and Network+ when I first started learning about IT certs at the tail end of high school and beginning of college, not assumed I wasn't knowledgable enough to study for and pass them then.
    • Doing the CompTIA certs would have led me to the MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003, CCNA, CCNP, and eventually all the way to the MCITP: EA and possibly even CCIE now; the only reason I didn't begin looking into those certs earlier was because I didn't think I was "advanced enough" to be able to study for them.
    • Spent a little bit of time working in IT, rather than in retail, worked up some experience with certs and a transfer-degree in my back pocket so I could have saved up money for my university-trip.
    • Transfer to UC Berkeley in 2004 or 2005, instead of potentially doing it in 2012 and go for an EECS Bachelor's degree.
    • Be working on my Ph.D now, instead of scrambling to finish it before I'm 40.
    • Spend my late twenties working, enjoying my accomplishments, and paying off my student loans, instead of looking forward to doing that in my late 30's.

All in all, I wish I'd been less lazy and simply gotten off my ass when I was 18 instead of now when I'm 28. It's by no means too late for me do to the things I want to do, and I'm working on accomplishing all of what I set out to do, but it'd feel much better being further along on this journey and not still working on the degree and certs I've been "meaning to do" for the last 10 years.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I wouldnt have lend those collectors edition movies to my ex
    (braveheart and schindler's list, want em back icon_sad.gif )

I would have chosen a different university

I would have majores in Computer or Electrical engenieering instead of comp programming

I would have gotten a few comptia certs before graduating

I would have dedicated more time to my ccna exam

I would have gone to that interview instead of calling it off because "someone told me to wait" (either they give you t he job or they dont, if they ask you to wait say no)

Thats about it, I'm very happy with the M.S. I'm doing, I could be doing ccnp right now too if I didnt procrastinate as much with my ccna studies.
    meh
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I could get time to roll back about 6 years, I'd :

1. Start in IT sooner.
    2. Not do an MS, wasted time and sh!tloads of money.
    3. Buy land in 2005-06 prices.
    4. Work on my certs sooner.
    5. Have NO credit cards.

If I had done even 1 on these things back then, I'd have been MUCH better off than I am now. It's not too late though...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I'm 26 and making headway in the industry (or at least I'm already in it and forcing my way up it), I've got good experience, I've got good certs that are relevant, and I can double up as Linux sysadmin. When I think about what I've done so far and what I can do, I don't really regret a thing.

The only regrets I have are the amount of money I've wasted on women in the past (not women of the night, just being with girlfriends who liked my wallet) could have gone towards more productive endeavours, a better car, more towards the house I moved into etc. However, I'm doing well so I'm not too bothered.

My one real regret? I wish I'd stuck with playing guitar at 10 rather than quitting it after 3 months then getting obsessed with it from the age of 16 onwards. Those 6 years of no true deadlines (I was good at school so never had to worry about work being done or how to do it) could have gotten me further along than I am...
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would have started searching for that clue stick a lot earlier. Maybe bought a map or something.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mistake #1 - I would have gone to Rutgers (Mason Gross) University on scholarship and wrestled for the Scarlet Knights instead of chickening out of college and wasting 2 years doing nothing before enlisting in the Army.

Mistake #2 - Never marry a girl from basic training.....

Mistake #3 - Should have gotten certs and/or gone to school while in the Army.

Mistake #4 - Leaving a DoD job months before my TS was finalized for a job I though would be better then what it is.

Choices make us who we are and hind sight is 20/20. Even though these were some of the dumb things I've done with out them I wouldn't have my wife of 10 years or my 2 kids. My life didn't turn out the way I wanted but all I can do now is point others to my mistakes so that they don't repeat them.

Rules I now live by "Fear of failure means you already have", "Things happen for a reason", "Things always get better but sometimes they need a push to start".
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, I guess I'll buck the trend here a little bit. I think all of us can make use of hindsight to look back at what we might have done to better position ourselves professionally / financially.

For me, I think if I could have a conversation with my 18 year old self, I would tell him to remember that at the end of your life, if you have the opportunity to reflect on what you've done and how you've lived your life, what will matter to you most are the people and the relationships and whether you've tried to stay faithful to yourself and your beliefs. You won't look back from your death bed and wish for more certifications or that you'd put in more hours at work. You will think about how you'll be remembered after you're gone and whether you were someone's friend, mentor, or family member and how you might have done a better job in each of those roles.

I guess a hard life lesson I have learned is that none of us are promised tomorrow. I lost a very good friend to senseless violence and this was a guy that had everything--money, prestige, had made the right career choices, etc. He told me one time when we were talking and I was opening up to him about the regrets I had in starting a family too soon and not positioning myself better professionally, yada yada, and he replied with something that has haunted me ever since he was killed. He told me, "you come home every night to a family that loves you and I come home to a dog. Some days I'd trade everything I have to be in your shoes." After he was killed, I would think about that sometimes. All his money--gone, given to whoever he had it willed to or family, etc. All his accomplishments--meaningless in the sense that he never really got to enjoy the real fruit of them.

Anyway, that's not to say one can't have an ambitious career if you have those close personal relationships (be it family or true friendships), but I see a lot of folks sacrifice those relationships on the altar of career, and it bothers me. It's perfectly natural (and healthy) to live life as though we're never going to die, but I think sometimes we would benefit from considering our lives in light of the inevitable day we're gone.

I know that wasn't what the thread was intended to be about, so my apologies. I would only add that I wouldn't go back and change anything about my life. I've come to believe that we're all shaped by the mistakes we've made and I wouldn't know what I do now without those hard lessons.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    0: I would have saved way more money

1: In High School I would have kept up my grades, did PSEO and graduated from HS with an AAS as well.

2: I would have utilized the program I was in to further my career, I would have networked more and learned more about software development

3: I would have worked at Geek Squad when I was 16, and gotten my A+ N+ S+ and MCSE while there

4: I would have went to Ohio State University for a BSCS
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    Thinking aobut what you should have done is one of those things that we all do that really only ends up making you depressed and pissed off. It's like thinking about what you would do if you won the lottery....but sometimes it's fun to do anyway..

If I could go back and give my 18 to 20 year old self some advice (I'm 36 now). It would be this...If you work/study your ass off now, you won't have to struggle so very hard later in life.
    If I have any regrets it would be these two...

1) I was offered a job working on a cruise line playing guitar...I should have taken it. Looking back now it seems obvious and I feel stupid for not trying to make more of it. I was in my early twenties and thought that playing "The Girl from Ipanema" would suck....I didn't even see the forest for the trees (THEY WERE GONNA PAY ME MONEY TO TRAVEL AND DO SOMETHING THAT I LOVED TO DO!!!!) Instead I kept giving lessons at my local music store (still good money) but never taking any more chances with music. Then of course came my family....which I wouldn't trade for anything. But wish I could support by doing something that I had a real passion for instead...

2) I should have gone to school to be an optometrist....(left field??) yes..lol. But I have done ALOT of thinking about this...and I just can't think of a better job. There is a freakin' machine that READS the Rx that the eye needs. If you find any problems you refer to a specialist. And you NEVER really have to touch the patient. You see them for 10-15 min. tops and charge them out the wazoo for soemthing that really improves/changes their lives. I would think it would feel awesome when someone that had difficulty seeing put on a pair of glasses and everything LITERALLY came into focus. I've known a few guys that went this route and it seems to me to be one of the best gigs ever....

You twenty-year olds <shakes cane and drools> work hard NOW and you won't have to kill yourself later!!!

It's never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I could I probably would have tried to get into it sooner like when I was 18-19 rather than 23. I was working with my highschools IT admin and working on the schools webpage during highschool and thought I'd like to get into technology. If I could do it all over I would not take other peoples advice and just do what I felt was right and try to get into IT back 9 years ago.