Options

Wow talk about going low! Geeesh!

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    N2IT wrote: »

Targeting people who wont benefit from education is a stupid statement to make in that article. At the same time Im curious how many people who find themselves in shelters actually do have an education. A fair amount I should imagine.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Targeting people who wont benefit from education is a stupid statement to make in that article. At the same time Im curious how many people who find themselves in shelters actually do have an education. A fair amount I should imagine.

I am all for the stricter policies personally. Obviously I will have to wait and see how these actual policies turn out.

If done right this can be a good thing. As a tax payer I don't want to see my money thrown away on scams like this.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since state and federal government give people a lot of money (loans, grants) to attend a college these schools prey on those who wouldn't know better. In NJ it is far to easy to get money for college if your poor regardless of your ability to finish. I've seen people on welfare/unemployment go to school on tax payer money only to drop the classes and take the refund. It doesn't surprise me that some of these for-profit colleges would ***** homeless shelters or unemployment offices.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    eansdad wrote: »
    Since state and federal government give people a lot of money (loans, grants) to attend a college these schools prey on those who wouldn't know better. In NJ it is far to easy to get money for college if your poor regardless of your ability to finish. I've seen people on welfare/unemployment go to school on tax payer money only to drop the classes and take the refund. It doesn't surprise me that some of these for-profit colleges would ***** homeless shelters or unemployment offices.

And NJ is broke.......... icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing with "poor people" taking classes and dropping them to get the refund is usually reduced a bit by rules in schools that require you to wait a certain amount of time after classes begin if you are a first time borrower.

Not sure what rules schools or the government can implement without discriminating against people. Besides the last decade or so, so many people are just defaulting on student loans and I feel confident saying most are not poor.

I know I was dirt poor when I was going to school. I was a plasma selling, macaroni eating, paycheck to paycheck student when I first started lol.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    So they have no savings, probably no real education thus far, a marginal chance of graduating, and are getting BS'd by an admissions rep to sign up?

Sounds just like all the other college freshmen.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I worked at a tech school many years ago, they strategically put it between the methadone clinic and the employment dev center in east LA.

they made 40 million profit a year for getting people stafford subsidized loans....its a racket
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    they made 40 million profit a year for getting people stafford subsidized loans....its a racket

Not to mention the alumni donations, research/teaching grants, investment income, and private loans. Most schools also raise tuition every year and hit you with more student fees.

There's a huge bubble in education right now, and it's going to pop soon.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked at an adult education center. I only taught there one semester. Some students should have been going to regular community college. I had to fill out absent forms for each hour. Sometimes, I'd have 60 absences. If I had a student absent 3 hours, I had to fill out 3 forms. One time,I didn't sign some forms and they were returned to me, with reason the forms were being denied since I didn't sign them. So students were counted as being there. I really wondered after that if any of my absent forms were being documented. While I wasn't privy to what was going on, I suspected something wasn't right. I tried to do my best at the job and learn as much as possible and get the heck out. About a month after the semester ended, it hit the news big time that the school was doing a lot of dishonest stuff. One of these was getting homeless people signed up as students. The students probably got small cash hands outs, while the students added to the student enrollment and this more money for school. A major instigation had been going on probably before I even started teaching there. I also heard conveniently right at end of semester the computer system crashed and all data was lost. So, I'm guessing their class attendance went way up!!!! I'm thinking they knew they were being investigated to and were trying to hide tracks. I'm hoping Phoenix is not doing this.