best training material opinion?

NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
So I am starting to study for Sec+. Currently I am using Testout's labsim. I would like to supplement this with some other resource. What would you recommend? I am thinking about Gibson's book. The Testout program has been great but would just feel better if I had something else to study along with the program. Thanks for your input! Appreciate everybody on these forums!

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Gibson's book is the right move. You don't need anything else.
  • NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like I can get the digital copy for my kindle app on my PC for $10. Pretty nice!
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep - it's an excellent book. Read it cover to cover and do all the questions and you should be golden. I'd recommend checking out at least some other test engines, but most of us here passed using Darril's book and nothing else, including me.
    Well, with Labsim it does has a nice question database. I think it has around 700 questions. Im looking to take the exam either late this month or early next month.
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    NickDog wrote: »
    Well, with Labsim it does has a nice question database. I think it has around 700 questions. Im looking to take the exam either late this month or early next month.

You're in good hands with Mr Gibson.. most of the actual test questions aren't as straightforward as Gibson's, so the LabSim will be a good change of pace for practice questions.. seems like you're all set!
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • swimbikerunDCswimbikerunDC Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I have just finished school and am looking to study up for the Security +. I know this is a broad question, but can anyone give me some insight on what study materials I should be using to prepare for this test?

Advanced thanks,
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to the forum, swimbikerunDC. The answer to your question is in the above posts.
  • shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    Hello, I have just finished school and am looking to study up for the Security +. I know this is a broad question, but can anyone give me some insight on what study materials I should be using to prepare for this test?

Advanced thanks,

Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
  • swimbikerunDCswimbikerunDC Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum, swimbikerunDC. The answer to your question is in the above posts.

Thank you, for such a quick response. I look forward to getting started and eventually finding some work.
    Swimbiker,
    Amazon has gibsons book for $10. Im looking at snatching it up soon. Good luck!

To everybody else thanks for the honest feedback!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It may seem a little strange.

I found all the official Security+ material to be
    1) Insufficient for the test
    2) Impractical for real life
    3) Too boring, there was no hands on piece to really commit it to memory

There are some MUCH better materials out there that will really spin you up for Security+ and get you some real world skills.

CBTNuggets's CCNA:Security package. Couple this with a Cisco 2950 switch and 2611xm router you have a perfect pratical test bed for layer 2 and 3 playing around. Secondly you can setup VPNs, firewalls and IDS on it! You can build that for less than $200. Videos will take you about 10 hours.

TCP/IP Packet Analysis. On vtc.com you can really learn how it works.

MasterClass! - Understanding Encryption, really explains it! vtc.com

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (70-29icon_cool.gif Tutorials - this covers some windows 2003 Security you NEED to know

Ubuntu Desktop/Unix System Administration Essentials, if you are new to Linux.
    Linux Security on vtc.com, you are going to need this. Understand security.

Not excessive it at, if anything this is what will help you get through it and actually have a couple real world skills.
    -Daniel
    Daniel,
    Testout has some simulation excersies, but mostly from a Windows admin perspective. I have never heard of vtc.com so I will check it out. I would also imagine the Cisco switches would come in handy for the CCNA (which I plan on studying for over the summer) and I do have CBT nuggets available through work.

Thanks!