Help with router reload lab

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is from the CCNA Simulator, ICND 1, Skill Builder --> Migrating to a new IOS image.

The lab went fine, I copied a new IOS file from a tftp server to the router.

I then go to global config mode and type:

boot system flash c2800nm-avipservicesk9-mz.124-21.bin

Copy running-config startup-config

Reload

The router should than reload the new IOS file instead of the first one it has (It has a total of 2 files saved in flash)

but it loads the last file and the lab tells me I didn't do it right.

icon_sad.gif
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Do "no boot system" first. You need to get rid of any existing boot system line in the configuration.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2URGSE wrote: »

It will help if you spell the image name correctly;

needs to be
    boot system flash c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-21.bin
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • hasitha257hasitha257 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like mgeorge said you need to get the boot statement straightened.

If thats corrected already and you still see same results, probably the other IOS is a newer/higher one and thats why router is booting into newer IOS.

cheers
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    if the boot statement is incorrect, the router will just boot from the first ios image it finds in flash...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hasitha257 wrote: »
    If thats corrected already and you still see same results, probably the other IOS is a newer/higher one and thats why router is booting into newer IOS.
    ROMMON doesn't check for version numbers.
  • hasitha257hasitha257 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You are correct, if the image in boot statement is valid then router will boot from there and not from image with higher version ( if there was one on flash)

but I should have stated if no boot statement and there are two images in the flash then router will boot from image with higher version ....is this is a correct statement?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    hasitha257 wrote: »
    You are correct, if the image in boot statement is valid then router will boot from there and not from image with higher version ( if there was one on flash)

but I should have stated if no boot statement and there are two images in the flash then router will boot from image with higher version ....is this is a correct statement?

If there are two it will boot the first image it comes across. Do a show flash and you can see the order they are listed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.