Options

Technical Interview Thoughts

jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I had a technical phone interview today (lasted about an hour), for a Windows sys admin position. There were a couple questions where I just didn't know the answer and have had no experience with, so naturally I just told the interviewer the truth. Maybe I was just out of my league in applying for this position but I felt like I did well on pretty much everything else. Anyway, I guess my question is, how much will that hurt my chances?

Do interviewers typically throw ridiculous curve ball technical questions out there just to see how you react or what your responses are, or was I just in over my head?

I'm sorta curious to see what other peoples experience's have been with situations like this, and what they have done in response or how they handled them.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    When I had the technical interview for my current job I knew maybe half the answers. By the end of the call I was thinking I didn't have a chance but I tried to stay positive. I just let them know I didn't know the answer but tried to show that I was very interested and willing to learn. At the end of the call they asked me to come in for a face to face and it worked out great.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Managers and Directors want someone with skills that is also not a BS artist.

I had never touched Sonicwalls or HP Switches before my technical interview at the job I have now. My interview was to configure both etc... and well I got through it but I didnt feel like I aced it. They hired me because I knew the core concepts, was pleasant, customer oriented etc.....
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I've heard some interviewers are pricks

But thankfully Ive never encountered one.
    Just answer directly and truthfully. You know it? Say so, explain.
    You dont? Say so, ask what it is, maybe you can relate to it or you just forgot the damn acronym (it happens a lot, specially in this field).

About the second thing I just said
    for example in an interview of mine he asked me if I knew SMPP, I said I didnt, when he explained I said oh it reminds me of SMTP and he noded and said exactly!
    And we just began talking about it
    I responded to things like cool, so it included voice mails? (I really think is cool, im a geek).

Also maybe you dont know how to setup err...SSH lets say
    But you go around with him with the explanation and talk
    and you answer key answers about how to perform configuration in the router
    So he knows you know your stuff, you may not know SSH exactly but you are not some empty guy. Sorry if the example is not clear

One thing I personally think is that I'm having a great interview if they are talking a lot.
    I get nervous if I'm the one doing all the talking so I always ask and make them talk.
    meh
  • Options
    jennyfdjennyfd Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jmreicha wrote: »
    So I had a technical phone interview today (lasted about an hour), for a Windows sys admin position. There were a couple questions where I just didn't know the answer and have had no experience with, so naturally I just told the interviewer the truth. Maybe I was just out of my league in applying for this position but I felt like I did well on pretty much everything else. Anyway, I guess my question is, how much will that hurt my chances?

Do interviewers typically throw ridiculous curve ball technical questions out there just to see how you react or what your responses are, or was I just in over my head?

I'm sorta curious to see what other peoples experience's have been with situations like this, and what they have done in response or how they handled them.

Don't worry about it. What you should do now is prepare for your next interview or other technical interview. The questions can be found at our same topic http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/56254-tech-support-helpdesk-interview-questions-friday.html
    Good luck!