Options

2 job offers today

I think I know which way I'm leaning towards but always good to hear from the more seasoned vets here. Both companies/recruiters have been very nice and reasonable and are going to give me the next 4-5 days to make my decision.

Job 1
+20 minute commute each way
+up to 5k more in salary
+Willing to train me
+Temp to Perm possibilities
+Room for growth but more on the networking end
+ Job really liked me. Offered job after only 1 phone interview
-A lot of hardware support. I was never a hardware guy growing up and longterm want to deal with systems not infrastructure.
-occasionally driving 1+ hour each way to facility in nearby state
-Providing local support

Job 2
+Temp to Perm possibilities
+Prefer remote support over local
+Lot of room for growth. Only the growth for this company would be more with desktop engineering/systems administration (This is my long term goal)
+Company is well known in industry
+After 1 month of doing phone support job will be switched to handling only ticket requests with no phone queue.
-Slightly Less money
-45 minute commute each way
-No initial training. Given my experience and the shape the company is in they want me to start right away.

Comments

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Depends on a lot of stuff. How much experience do you have right now with systems? Would you mind doing any networking? Like have you tried it and you just don't like it that much? The general rule of thumb I found in IT is not to take a job with "room for growth" if you have other opportunities with better experience right now. It's all about getting the experience right now so you can add that to your resume.

Reason being is who knows how long that next level job would open up. It could be 6 months but it also could be 5 years. Whereas most IT people move lateral or up to get experience and a year or two later move onto the next job.

So from that perspective which would give you the best experience for what you want to end up doing right now? Also that 45 minute commute would be killer.