Options

Resume suggestions

tonytonesssstonytonessss Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone give me some feed back on my resume? I'm looking to apply for an entry level desktop support role or help desk role.

Comments

• Options
    mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the summary, skills and certifications sections, and the way you've placed them in that order.

You might want to space the CV out more, make it fit 2 pages.

A problem I've ran in to before when writing CVs is concentrating too much on the technical installation, without relating what I did back to measurable business goals and stating what the benefit was. So for example, instead of:

I installed a Cisco ACS and configured 100 routers to authenticate via TACACS at logon

Describe more what the benefit was to the business and make it:

Identified security problems in the network, implemented a standardised device security policy and installed a Cisco Secure ACS appliance

Here's another example

OK: Configured OSPF and HSRP on Cisco routers and Layer 3 switches throughout the company network

BETTER: Increased network uptime and resilience by identifying and eliminating single points of failure using dynamic routing protocols and redundant connections

So for your CV, something like: Operated as the first point of contact for all technical issues serving to diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve issues via email, telephone, or in person

Try: Quickly resolved staff IT problems by providing helpful advice and support via phone, email and in person.

Another might be: Helped to increase the skills the IT team by providing training sessions and sharing my technical knowledge through instructional guides
  • Options
    mfieldhousemfieldhouse Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another idea I just had. Because you're wanting a help desk position where the number 1 soft skill is dealing with people and communication, you want to make your work history descriptions with lots of keywords such as:

helpful, helping people, efficiently, quickly, enabled staff to, provided help and advice on, solved staff problems by, showed new users how to...

The hiring company will want to know that you're helpful and can quickly solve problems.