Options

How Valuable the experience as network admin

Hi!

How you guys doing?
Didnt found a proper place for this so decided to make my own thread.

I've seen in the network field the jobs arent usually permanent position. In this post when I say network field, I dont mean system admin as a guy who opens accounts in college and troubleshoot why computer A in room 302 cant connect to the internet. I mean like telecomunications between sites, vpn's, the routes, vlans, Point to Point connections, optimization of bandwith etc etc
Usually are more like months projects, maybe a year or two. But usually never a permanent position.

I just got offered a 6 months position with a multinational company, hundred thousands of user.
We deal with what is stated above + SMPP and SMTP and others. Means servers to servers, we dont really deal with customers directly but with what interconnects everything.

How valuable would 6 moths of this be?

Note* Dont take this as, you just got a job and you're getting ahead of yourself.
I'm excited and really happy! Is a great place and great crew so far for what I've met.
But here in PR these kind of positions are very rare, so I dont know much about how this kind of position adds to your experience.
I've always wanted to move to US but without experience Ive always thought it would be hard. So this makes me wonder even more how much this would add to my resume.

PS. add much or not, im taking it :)
lol from tech support to this = hella good! (specially since my favorite I.T. area is networking)

Thank you and sorry for long wall of text.
meh

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Experience is experience. Congrats on the new job!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Thanks man

Do you think other employers see well like proyect periods completed?
    You know, 6 months proyect, you did it, the end.

Finally ill have $$$ to pay for some certs.
    I wanted to get back to cisco but it was too expensive, lol MS are 40 bucks (student) (most) so is kewl
    meh
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on getting the new job and the experience is great to add onto resume!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63