Options

What to do after MCSE?

MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just completed my MCSE and I am unsure which direction to take next. I have always planned to move on to the upgrade exams to achieve an MCITP:EA but am wondering if I should hold off for a bit and pursue another technology like CCNA or an MCDBA. I have poked around a bit with T-SQL and I really like working with it. The only problem I have there is that I am afraid that the 2003 MCSE may get retired soon and I won't have the option to upgrade to 2008. Does any one have any thoughts on this or have you been in the same positition?
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you work in IT? Try finding a gig.

Cert wise, it depends on what you want to do. What is your end goal?
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    even though the exams for MCSE get retired, you will still be able to upgrade to MCITP: EA.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MattMcNabb wrote: »
    I just completed my MCSE and I am unsure which direction to take next. I have always planned to move on to the upgrade exams to achieve an MCITP:EA but am wondering if I should hold off for a bit and pursue another technology like CCNA or an MCDBA. I have poked around a bit with T-SQL and I really like working with it. The only problem I have there is that I am afraid that the 2003 MCSE may get retired soon and I won't have the option to upgrade to 2008. Does any one have any thoughts on this or have you been in the same positition?

If you don't work in IT, find a job. If you do specialize in something that is pointed towards your career.

Honestly MCSE is a great culmination of MS exams. I would be proud of that and start focusing on work or advancement.
  • Options
    MattMcNabbMattMcNabb Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I do currently work in a Deskside/BreakFix role and am really looking into what my direction will be beyond that. I am leaning towards learning database a bit more just because I feel that I would be good at it and it is really valuable from the job postings I see in my area. At the same time if you look at a list of most valuable certs Cisco is at or near the top every time.
    “It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    MattMcNabb wrote: »
    I am leaning towards learning database a bit more just because I feel that I would be good at it and it is really valuable from the job postings I see in my area.

Do it. Having dba skills are invaluable and you can branch off to other areas too. I love working with t-sql, ms sql server 2005, and .net reporting services. If you're interested in a good source for sql training cbt's pm me.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why not snag TS: SQL 2008, Configuring and CCENT. Get a taste for networking and SQL. Then decide. Neither of those certs takes much of an investment in money or time and will certainly give you a feel for the market.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another option would be to start working on your MCITP Enterprise Administrator. If you aren't ready to completely focus on it, at least you could consider the upgrade exam so you have it out of the way.

I consider MCDBA back in the day because I started off as a developer anyhow. While I never pursued it, my experience with databases and SQL have helped out in many cases. I did some Oracle stuff in my undergrad, too.

About ten years ago, folks would get the MCSE and then work on the CCNA. Then, it was an easy $10k/year raise. It isn't so much like that now, however. Job-wise, if you get a job as an admin in a small shop, it may make a lot of sense to get CCNA, plus you will get tons of diverse experience; after doing that, you will want to move into a larger shop as quickly as possible.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro