Options

After CCNA

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
So I passed my CCNA today wooooo!! It's my second time after failing last Friday. Now my decision is whether to go for CCNP or CCNA : Security or CCNA Wireless... I really dont know where to go from here. Or if to go some Microsoft although Ill be taking microsoft classes this semester and in the summer at the college for my associates.

Comments

• Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Darian929 wrote: »
    passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    Now my decision is whether to go for CCNP or CCNA : Security or CCNA Wireless...
    Do the CCNA:Security while you try to decide between committing to the CCNP or CCNA:Wireless :D

It's always good to know Security. And studying for the CCNA:Security will keep you in "study mode" while almost counting as a "study break" after the CCNA. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Hey Mike thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking CCNA:S myself but wasn't sure. Anyways how much study time you think the CCNA:S takes? Is it a lot of material and new concepts? What books do you recommend?
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    So I passed my CCNA today wooooo!! It's my second time after failing last Friday. Now my decision is whether to go for CCNP or CCNA : Security or CCNA Wireless... I really dont know where to go from here. Or if to go some Microsoft although Ill be taking microsoft classes this semester and in the summer at the college for my associates.

Its up to you, are you working on networks right now?
    Small business or enterprise?
    What kind of devices are you touching? router? switches? ids/ips? wireless?
    I recommend you pursue the certs that will help you with what your working on OR pursue the certs that you REALLY like whether its security ,voice or wireless. Goodluck!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job on the pass.

Given that CCNA: Security won't cost you much in terms of equipment that is a great route. CCNA: Wireless unfortunately requires a VERY heavy investment. CCNP will also be somewhat more of investment.

I have to CCNA: Security was the most practical Cisco cert I have done. Well, I know the CCNA is the foundation there. But the CCNA: Security showed me how to really setup a switch and troubleshoot a VPN. Really good stuff.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You could always read through Network Warrior while you're trying to decide. . . :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I mean right now I am doing network administrator type of task and in the future I really want to be heavy on networking and virtualization... but the thing is I only have hands on microsoft experience and not too much to begin with so do you think it's fine to leave the microsoft for school classes that I'll take now in spring and the summer and keep doing networking with CCNA:Security and then CCNP? I know employers like rounded people that's what I am afraid of. But I will definitely do CCNA:S
  • Options
    IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Once I complete my CCNA, I'll be moving on to the CCNA: Security. In my mind, it just fits like a puzzle piece for the next stage in the evolutionary chain of packet enlightenment.
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You could always read through Network Warrior while you're trying to decide. . . :D

+1 on the Network Warrior Book!!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think I'd go for Microsoft certs if you are already taking courses for them... I mean you could go to school during the day for one thing and study another at night but why not go all the way to a mastery level and get a cert for something you are studying all day anyways...

I guess it depends how fast you want to get everything done... Also you are asking about Microsoft certs in the Cisco forum so I'll be waiting to get flamed for my blasphemous suggestions ..... ;)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    My only issue with the CCNA: Wireless material, is it doesn't really cover much about 802.11 and RF, it's more so focused on Cisco AP's and controllers.

If you plan on working with wireless I would really recommend CWTS/CWNA material, and then go for the CCNA: Wireless material.

Reading some Security+ material prior to jumping into the CCNA: Security might be useful as well, just to get some more background material on the various protocols. Of course the expensive exam might not be worth taking.

(you just don't want to get too many Cisco certs without having the experience to back it up. All my opinion of course..)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah Network Warrior is probably the most practical IT book I have ever read. It gives you a brief glimpse into all the screwy things that can go wrong with a network that you've never even dreamed of. The sections on troubleshooting are first rate. It will be on my bookshelf forever.

I'm gonna dissent from everyone and say to go ahead and start your CCNP. It's a ton of work, but it will be worth it. I was at the same crossroads last year after I passed my CCNA and I gave serious thought to the CCNA:Sec. I decided that I wanted to pursue the security track once i'd passed the CCNP. It largely depends on what you need for your job and what you would like to have on your resume (in that order). I work on the service provider side, so it made sense for me to go after the advanced routing and switching found in the CCNP. I also feel I'll have a much better grasp of the security side of things after I master NP level routing and switching.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Mississippi I understand what your saying and I'd also like to do the CCNP but I can't afford a lab equipment and I am not sure if The packet tracer will give me enough for that... I am working right now for a small service provider and I think also the CCNP will help out a lot. Besides I want to go heavy on networking because it's what I like.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    What extra lab equipment should you have for the ccnp? I know you need a layer 3 switch, but you can pick one of those up for around 150 can't you? Would you need more than one?
  • Options
    Greenmet I know I need at least one router with IOS 12.4 which a 2600XM will do and for switches I am unsure if I need 2 layer 3 switches or just one.