Cables for a Lab

videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read many threads here and elsewhere for advice on putting a lab together for my CCNA. Here is what I have so far

2650XM
2950T - Enhanced Image
3550 - w/ EMI
2621 w/ 1 WIC-1T
2610xm
2509 console server
1 Octal cable to connect it
1 WIC - 2T
NM - 4A/S

I am planning to get 1 more 2950T, and I think that will give me all the hardware I need or did I miss something?
I have read I should have serial cards for all the routers, should I go with what I have or get another WIC-2T?
What cables will I need to connect it all up?
Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration
Summa Cum Laude - April 2011

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.

Comments

• ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    videguy wrote: »
    I read many threads here and elsewhere for advice on putting a lab together for my CCNA. Here is what I have so far

2650XM
    2950T - Enhanced Image
    3550 - w/ EMI
    2621 w/ 1 WIC-1T
    2610xm
    2509 console server
    1 Octal cable to connect it
    1 WIC - 2T
    NM - 4A/S

I am planning to get 1 more 2950T, and I think that will give me all the hardware I need or did I miss something?
    I have read I should have serial cards for all the routers, should I go with what I have or get another WIC-2T?
    What cables will I need to connect it all up?

I am not sure why no one answered your question here; as really this board is usually good for getting a fast accurate answer, so I am going to take a shot at this one, someone correct me if I am wrong.

You will need a WIC-1T to WIC-2T Crossover cable

cab-6026x=.jpg

Same thing to go from your NM-4A/S to the WIC-2T but not to the 2621 you have with the WIC-1T that would be a WIC-1T to WIC-1T Crossover cable.

I personally stayed away from the WIC-1T (not that there is anything wrong with them) because the cable cost more, the WIC-2T and the WIC-2A/S cables are cheap and easier to work with. But you have that nice NM-4A/S so you better start looking for cable to match that.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You need console cables for your equipment. Not sure if what you are buying/have bought came with them or not. They're DB9 to RJ45 connectors. They look like this: Amazon.com: Cisco Console Cable RJ45-to-DB9: Electronics

I'd buy them on ebay, though. They're like $2 on ebay.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    You need console cables for your equipment. Not sure if what you are buying/have bought came with them or not. They're DB9 to RJ45 connectors. They look like this: Amazon.com: Cisco Console Cable RJ45-to-DB9: Electronics

I'd buy them on ebay, though. They're like $2 on ebay.

He has a console server and an octal cable; so no need for more than one console cable, and thats just to have lying around.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    chmorin wrote: »
    He has a console server and an octal cable; so no need for more than one console cable, and thats just to have lying around.

My bad, failed to grasp the purpose of octal cables. Learned something new!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your help. Now I have another question. Would it be better to get WIC-2t cards for all 3 routers and 2 for one of them to be able to do frame relay, or just get one more WIC-2T card for the one router that needs one. I would rather do the lab correctly even it means replacing some equipment.
    I just bought a couple of old Dell servers, a 2850 and 750 to use for part of the lab. I can not believe how cheap they are now.
    Bachelors of Science in Information Technology - Database Administration Concentration

The only difference between brilliance and stupidity is that brilliance has limits.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for your help. Now I have another question. Would it be better to get WIC-2t cards for all 3 routers and 2 for one of them to be able to do frame relay, or just get one more WIC-2T card for the one router that needs one. I would rather do the lab correctly even it means replacing some equipment.
    I just bought a couple of old Dell servers, a 2850 and 750 to use for part of the lab. I can not believe how cheap they are now.

Another WIC-1t or WIC-2t should be good.

If you already have a NM-4A/S for one of the routers then that one should have enough ports to act as a frame relay switch. You want at least 4 ports on the router that's going to act as your frame relay switch, and at least 2 ports on every other router.
  • videguyvideguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to use the 2621 as the frame relay switch. Does it make a difference which one I use?
    Thanks to everyone for their help with my questions. Getting equipment is an education in itself.

• ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    Now I have another question. Would it be better to get WIC-2t cards for all 3 routers and 2 for one of them to be able to do frame relay, or just get one more WIC-2T card for the one router that needs one. I would rather do the lab correctly even it means replacing some equipment.

Thats what I did, I have all WIC-2A/S in my Routers, (the 2T is better, but some of the units I bought already had 2A/S).

So in my opinion (and you know what they say about thoseicon_silent.gif) I would do one of two things;

Possibility #1 - **** the NM-4A/S and the WIC-1T, and with that money buy at least 3 more WIC-2Ts, and then just a bunch of Smart Serial Cable(s). This will give you 4 Smart Serial ports on one Router and two serial ports on each of the other 2.

o24j7hOsr3_SS_SSLow_list.jpg

Or

Possibility #2 - **** the WIC-1T, and get 2 more WIC-2T's and several (at least 4) DB60 to SS cables.

F8qMynd7g9_DB60ss_list.jpg

I think in the end your cost will be about the same Option #1 you save on the cable, option #2, less work in getting parts but cables cost MORE.

I personally set mine up with all Smart Serial Cables for ease of use and price.

CCNA_Rack_6_thumb.jpg Click image to see Routers w/ WIC-2A/S

I have changed a couple things in the rack, and will have new photos soon, but you get the idea. c0op3r.com
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am planning to use the 2621 as the frame relay switch. Does it make a difference which one I use?
    Thanks to everyone for their help with my questions. Getting equipment is an education in itself.

It probably doesn't matter, but I would use the 2621 also since it's the oldest one. The 2600XM's can do more so I'd keep them as the routers in the topology.