Options

what's the dealio with law firm support?

dangtran09dangtran09 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
why do most if not all law firm support requires that the candidate have law firm experience?

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dangtran09 wrote: »
    why do most if not all law firm support requires that the candidate have law firm experience?

most do...but i think thats stupid then. I've had a few law firm interviews, and those were the few that didnt require law firm experience. but i will say this about law firm support, the IT dudes there have to get problems solved RIGHT AWAY...not even asap...you got lawyers who are billing per minute, so they have to be working for their clients. but yeah, if most law firms are requiring LF exp, then it makes the pool of candidates smaller, and how is one supposed to gain experience...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783

Because lawyers are evil
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Same thing happens with the financial/trading industry. They only understand now, right Now and supernaturally fast.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

Couple reasons:
    1. Many run software specific to legal industry shops, e.g. case management applications, WordPerfect. You probably won't get much exposure to this stuff outside legal firms, so it's important you get your feet wet with one before moving into another.
    2. There are probably specific legal requirements (mostly set by case precedent) for data retention within law firms. In fact, there's probably certain data they WON'T want to keep for various reasons and will have rules (formal or informal) for that.
    3. Law firms tend to be very aggressive, demanding environments. I've done outsourced support for lawyers and trust me, they can be a pain to work with. If you're not used to those sorts of environments, a law firm may do you in pretty quickly with the stress.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A few law firms I've applied to in the past tend to list being a current law student as a requirement. How's a law student supposed to have time for that?
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Law firms are definitely an aggressive environment. I worked in a fairly large law firm which had offices in multiple states. Lawyers typically are work-a-holics so in turn you will be a work-a-holic; this included late nights, early mornings, holidays and weekends. You will be 24/7 support.

Also lawyers are naturally argumentative. So when you are proposing that additional 10 TB of EMC storage for legal retention of case work, be prepared to become a pseudo-lawyer yourself. This was the hardest technology budget I have ever had to submit.

*Even after getting the proposal approved they still could not figure out why I could not purchase this from Best Buy or Radio Shack.*
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)