Query..!!

saur2903saur2903 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

i want to get COMPTIA SECURITY+ certification within next 2 months.But i am really confused whether to do it or not.

I have done CCNA ,CCNA (SECURITY) and have 2.5 years of Networking experience.

I have worked on Cisco ASA,PIX,concentrators,IPSEC VPN.
woild this cert be really helpful for me.shall i go for it or not.are there enough jobs for this in India.?

Please suggest.

Comments

• michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    I believe that CERTs will not hurt you. They may or may not help you, but they won't hurt you.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sec+ is a a vendor Neutral exam and i found it very helpful in learning the basic of Security

Given that you have CCNA : S i would give it a miss ( as the Cert is no more a lifetime cert after the 31st Dec 10)..
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Sec+ is a good broad entry level cert covering the basics of crypto, PKI and network vulnerbilities and network tools.

If you have CCNA:S you more than likely wont find it difficult, but CCNA:S is much more focused primarily on CISCO gear, where as Sec+ is a vendor neutral and does not specify on configuration of equipment, more what is out there in the form of network protection.

Certainly can't hurt having it, but would be overlooked next to a CCNA:S i would believe.

As for jobs in India, you would have to some research in that job market in the field you wish to be employed within.. Have a look around on job finding websites and the like for that area.
  • saur2903saur2903 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank u all for the reply.. so a SSCP can help me.. becoz i am inclined towards SSCP if Security+ falls short in front of CCNA security..

I want to make career in security but not of that great technical level as that of CCIE.. I want to be in management line with a technical bend of mind.. so SSCP n then CISSP wil probably help me,. wat u say guys..

Waiting for ur valuable reply..!!

cisco_nerd wrote: »
    Sec+ is a good broad entry level cert covering the basics of crypto, PKI and network vulnerbilities and network tools.

If you have CCNA:S you more than likely wont find it difficult, but CCNA:S is much more focused primarily on CISCO gear, where as Sec+ is a vendor neutral and does not specify on configuration of equipment, more what is out there in the form of network protection.

Certainly can't hurt having it, but would be overlooked next to a CCNA:S i would believe.

As for jobs in India, you would have to some research in that job market in the field you wish to be employed within.. Have a look around on job finding websites and the like for that area.
  • cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    If you are more inclined towards the management side of the house, then working towards a CISSP would be the better move.

There is a number of awesome posts on this forum about the paths to the CISSP, have a serch through the SSCP/CISSP pages, there is alot of information in this forum, i'm sure there will be alot in there that can help you out.

Keep in mind that you need at the very least 5 years+ experience in the field, and it has to be within at least 2 of the CISSP CBK. You also need to be endorsed by an (ISC)2 certified member as well in order to obtain the full certification - that is true across all of the certs offered by (ISC)2 as far as I have seen.

Enjoy.
  • saur2903saur2903 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANKS BRO..!! I will go thru those posts and will revert to you if have any questions....!!

thanks for ur great help/./!!

cisco_nerd wrote: »
    If you are more inclined towards the management side of the house, then working towards a CISSP would be the better move.

There is a number of awesome posts on this forum about the paths to the CISSP, have a serch through the SSCP/CISSP pages, there is alot of information in this forum, i'm sure there will be alot in there that can help you out.

Keep in mind that you need at the very least 5 years+ experience in the field, and it has to be within at least 2 of the CISSP CBK. You also need to be endorsed by an (ISC)2 certified member as well in order to obtain the full certification - that is true across all of the certs offered by (ISC)2 as far as I have seen.

Enjoy.