Options

Net+ and Sec+ CE

RichAsskikrRichAsskikr Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I currently hold a 'Certified for Life' Network+ cert. and I am currently studying for Sec+.

Am I right in thinking that when I pass Sec+ CE, my Net+ cert. automatically becomes CE as well?

If not, are there any advantages to me re-doing my Net+ cert to become Net+ CE.
(other than refreshing knowledge. I also dont and never will work for DoD)

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think the Net+ will go automatically unless you register it for the CE program. Then when you pass the Sec+ it will renew the Net+. Still not sure about the whole when the 3 years starts. If you get a cert then take another a few months later and it renews the 1st what is the 1st certs renew date type thing.
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    those who pass A+, Network+, or Security+ after January 1, 2011 are automatically enrolled in CompTIA CE program. After earning a higher level certification, lower level ones will gain CE status, after paying the enrollment fee.

So, to answer your question, yes.

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    michaelcox wrote: »
    those who pass A+, Network+, or Security+ after January 1, 2011 are automatically enrolled in CompTIA CE program. After earning a higher level certification, lower level ones will gain CE status, after paying the enrollment fee.

So, to answer your question, yes.

+1. If you end up working for a DoD agency or contractor (never say never!), your employer will most likely reimburse you or pay for the continuing education annual fee.

Your Security+CE will force your Net+ into CE but you will only need to "renew" the Sec+ to keep them both in check.
  • Options
    RichAsskikrRichAsskikr Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahhh great stuff.

So you dont have to formally enroll on the CE program. If you do one of the exams, your automatically enrolled?
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ahhh great stuff.

So you dont have to formally enroll on the CE program. If you do one of the exams, your automatically enrolled?

Indeed. Since you're taking Sec+ after the "lifetime" date, the only program type available is CE. If you end up saying "screw it" and decide to stop doing your CEUs, paying your fee etc., your Network+ will default back to lifetime status but you'll lose your Security+ and the only way to regain your Sec+ is to take the exam again (essentially re-enrolling).