Managed Services NOC or Data Center

gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
Guys,

I am currently working in a NOC for a Managed Services Company. I just got a job offer on a Data Center. I currently have my CCNP but not much experience. In my current position i feel like I am never going to get the experience I need since most of the time I am just baby sitting clients network and calling out carrier issues. The Data Center job has a better schedule and much better benefits although the pay is the same. Not much worry about the pay. I want a position where I can truly get hands on.

QUESTION

What is better for hands on? NOC or Data Center. I have never worked on a Data Center before so I dont know what to expect. In the NOC I deal with lots of different things aside from Cisco.
‎"If you spend too much time thinking about a thing,
you'll never get it done"

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What are you going to be doing at the Data Center? It might be a lot of the same thing if you are in the NOC for the DC.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • gaby_978gaby_978 Member Posts: 222
    They said its mostly Layer2 issues. The job description says: configure, install, troubleshoot, and maintain data circuits/equipment for clients
    I just feel in the NOC I am just wasting my time. I work nights so there is nothing going on. The Data Center is Mon-Fri 9-5.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Sounds like you will just be troubleshooting circuit there also. I would find out if there is any exposure to any other technologies there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Well here in the NOC I am lucky if I get to log into a network device once a week. Most of the issues are handle by Engineers dedicated to the clients. My job is basically to escalate alerts. We also get help desk calls which I dont like at all. I just feel that in the NOC I am never going to get any real exposure for I have been studying all this time.

Anybody here work or has work in a Data Center??? Can someone tell me what to expect? This is an international company with Data Centers all over the world.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gaby_978 wrote: »
    Well here in the NOC I am lucky if I get to log into a network device once a week. Most of the issues are handle by Engineers dedicated to the clients. My job is basically to escalate alerts. We also get help desk calls which I dont like at all. I just feel that in the NOC I am never going to get any real exposure for I have been studying all this time.

Anybody here work or has work in a Data Center??? Can someone tell me what to expect? This is an international company with Data Centers all over the world.

Yes, we have quit a few DCs where I work. What you will be doing depends on what your job role is. Reading the job description it sounds like you will be doing customer install/support. You will probably have turn up templates to work from and work customer trouble tickets. Sounds to be a fair bit more hands on then you do now. Probably would be a good idea to ask them to be sure though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take the Data Center position.

1. Same pay, with potential raise.
    2. Data Center experience is much better on the resume.
    3. You will learn more with hands on.
    4. The hours are better 9-5, you can live life the way it was meant to be.
    5. Because of number 4, you will be happier in life.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone wrote: »
    I would take the Data Center position.

1. Same pay, with potential raise.
    2. Data Center experience is much better on the resume.
    3. You will learn more with hands on.
    4. The hours are better 9-5, you can live life the way it was meant to be.
    5. Because of number 4, you will be happier in life.

Completely agree with you. Even though the pay is the same the benefits are great. Also working nights its not as easy as it sounds.

Thanks for the input.