Options

Old technology

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
To those of you actively looking for jobs, what is the oldest technology you've seen listed? I stumbled across the following today.

"3-4 years experience in a PC/LAN operating environment that includes: DOS (all versions), Windows (3.1, 95, 98 and NT) and Novell (3.11, 3.12, 4.11), Microsoft (Access, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word), Lotus (cc:Mail and Organizer)."

Amazing.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's probably just something they post every time they are looking for someone. The oldest stuff I have seen is W2K, and 2000 server. Then again, I haven't been in IT nearly as long as some out there icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    I got a job offer that I turned down that was looking for someone with strong Windows NT4 experience. And it was not a joke! They had 200 NT4 servers from 12 years ago they never upgraded.

Lotus notes, I've had many clients that still run Lotus alongside with Exchange. Weird I know. Lotus is in decline but not dead yet. Novell is pretty much dead, but a lot of the school systems in California use Novell 4/5
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    millworx wrote: »
    I got a job offer that I turned down that was looking for someone with strong Windows NT4 experience. And it was not a joke! They had 200 NT4 servers from 12 years ago they never upgraded.

Lotus notes, I've had many clients that still run Lotus alongside with Exchange. Weird I know. Lotus is in decline but not dead yet. Novell is pretty much dead, but a lot of the school systems in California use Novell4/5

You make me cringe... icon_sad.gif

We are a Notes shop and I don't see that ending any time soon...
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    millworx wrote: »

Lotus notes, I've had many clients that still run Lotus alongside with Exchange. Weird I know. Lotus is in decline but not dead yet. Novell is pretty much dead, but a lot of the school systems in California use Novell 4/5

Egad I know. Currently working with notes and exchange together. They only keep notes around for the databases. Regularly using AS/400 and mainframes up here. Makes me want to cry.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't used Novell Netware or DOS for so many years icon_lol.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Lets see what some of my clients have that scares me, skimming docs for 70 clients here...

1) a Cisco Hub
    2) Cisco 2501
    3) PIX501
    4) Cisco 2924xl
    5) NT4 terminal server
    6) NT4 domain
    7) SQL server 6.5
    icon_cool.gif Exchange 2000
    9) a Windows 98 machine being used for some scanner app
    10) MacOS 9 for some crazy tax app
    11) CallManaged 4.2 (I think they are on 8 now?!)
    12) A bunch of pentium 3 laptops
    13) Citrix Metaframe 3.something
    14) ESX3.5
    -Daniel
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    If you deal with medical companies then you with all sorts of old hardware. For instance the one I worked at contained NT servers, AIX, SCO and a few Windows 98 machines (drivers were never upgraded by the manufacturer of the scanning hardware). It's completely terrifying what you can find in some companies.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    I have seen a bank ask for X.25
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    6 mo. ago I saw cobol and jcl. This was for a PC tech job.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    phantasm wrote: »
    If you deal with medical companies then you with all sorts of old hardware. For instance the one I worked at contained NT servers, AIX, SCO and a few Windows 98 machines (drivers were never upgraded by the manufacturer of the scanning hardware). It's completely terrifying what you can find in some companies.

You see this stuff in any field requiring specialized automation software/hardware. I used to work for a utility company that had mission-critical delivery applications running on. . . OS/2 Warp 3. And that was only a handful of years ago. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    While cleaning out one of our district offices we came across some an Windows for Workgroup laptop.. It was pretty sweet not in production just some old forgotten piece of tech.

Found a hub or two a few years ago and some all 10 MB switches but that's about all I got.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    6 mo. ago I saw cobol and jcl. This was for a PC tech job.

COBOL and JCL are very big, however, it doesn't make sense that those would be requirements for a PC tech job...

MS
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    COBOL and JCL are very big, however, it doesn't make sense that those would be requirements for a PC tech job...

MS

MS

My mother is a JCL / COBOL / DB2 IT professional.

She is consistently getting tagged for jobs that pay over 6 figures a year. I guess all the good ones are starting to die off. I mean she is old school, she has been doing it for 30 years.

And the PC JOB tech doesn't make a bit of sense. That is so far from apart from each other it's not even funny.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    eMeS wrote: »

MS

Yeah I know they're big. They're also old. The smithsonian has a display up right now about COBOL's 50th birthday.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah I know they're big. They're also old. The smithsonian has a display up right now about COBOL's 50th birthday.

Yep, old stuff that companies have a ton invested in...

Still, I can't understand why someone would want those skills in a pc tech...

MS
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Cobol and DB2 have not gone anywhere in a number of PeopleSoft shops. One of my tasks is compiling delivered COBOL for the HR/Student Admin/Financials applications. PeopleSoft heavily uses COBOL, and I have to run stored statements against the database whenever COBOL is compiled. I will admit though, that is the suckiest part of being (an) erpadmin....

Trust me, COBOL isn't going anywhere....PeopleSoft/Oracle always promised that Application Engine would replace COBOL.....this was more than 8 years back.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    petedude wrote: »
    You see this stuff in any field requiring specialized automation software/hardware. I used to work for a utility company that had mission-critical delivery applications running on. . . OS/2 Warp 3. And that was only a handful of years ago. . .
    I know of OS/2 machines out there in production. They just keep going, and while they keep going, don't touch it...