Options

Help Please!!!!

EdwardNigmaEdwardNigma Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Batman has captured me and imprisioned me in Arkham Asylum, help!!!!!!

No seriously, I need some help. I was laid off from a job at the end of last year, a job having nothing to do with IT. This job was paying me well and so I wasn't going to school or anything, but working alot of overtime. Been doing this for a couple of years now actually, so it's not like I'm not a hard worker or have been partying and slacking off. Since I am not working, I've been rethinking my career path, and realize I've put off being in IT for too long (which might hurt me, in comparasion to those here who have years of doing it)

I have some college, I'm not completely stupid when it comes to computers, however I have no cerftifications, no computer degree, so I'm just brand new. (You're probably laughing at me right about now LOL!) I've been reading at this site about how the best place to start is help desk, and A+ certification. I would like some direction as to how do I figure out which area of IT to go towards. For example:

1. Does every area of IT need to have an A+ certification, or some certifications are just for one area (hardware vs software/programing)? I wouldn't wan to get an A+ certification, and then decide i want to do networking and it be useless for that area, i rather get the ones necesary for the area I decide in

2. Is there a site that you know of that explains clearly the difference between the many IT areas? (I've been searching online myself, for example at:

Find Jobs: Search millions of jobs now | Monster.com

but still a bit confused. I would like to be able to see for example: Computer Programer, entails doing a,b,c etc. You would need certs a,b, and c, etc.

3. Most important question I've been wondering is, how do I determine how good is the IT job market in an area? For example, I'm in the Tampa, FL area, how do I know if IT is/will be a good field here, or will I have to relocate eventually? I realize nobody is a mind reader but would like to at least have an idea, or at least HOW to find this out

Thanks for any help and info you can provide. Even if I don't get a job in IT, I still will be interested even before my now researching jobs, I've been reading to learn HTML, JAVA, CSS, and am enjoying learning about those

Comments

• Options
    IUgrad505IUgrad505 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat, but maybe a tiny bit further along. I got laid off too, but I do have some IT background. I just posted a similar question and one person answered telling me to get an A+ certification as a foundation for IT jobs. If you're completely open to the type of IT job you want, check this out - it's a list of hot IT skills for 2011 and you can pick amongst these jobs, which are all in demand. There are several different lists but many of them have the same types of skills and positions in common.

11 hot skills for 2011 - Computerworld
  • Options
    tech5621tech5621 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. Does every area of IT need to have an A+ certification, or some certifications are just for one area (hardware vs software/programing)? I wouldn't wan to get an A+ certification, and then decide i want to do networking and it be useless for that area, i rather get the ones necesary for the area I decide in

It's all relative. Does it help to know networking when your setting up a server? Does it help to know hardware when your setting up a couple switches? A+ and Network+ provide foundations for an IT career and I believe they both are important. I personally have the trifecta A+/Net+/Sec+ and am currently working on ITIL to complete a very solid foundation for myself. I then plan on working towards my CCNA/CCNA:Security to start to break into my wanted career path, Infosec. I was unemployed for nearly a year and my A+/Net+ landed me a job working network outages & monitoring making reasonable pay. Just something to think about.