Options

2/4 port NIC for linux (need recommendations)

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
Can anyone please suggest models of 2 or 4 port PCI network cards that work under linux? I need 802.1q support...not sure if you get that in the OS, or the NIC.

I don't want to spend more than $30 per card. This is for dynamips. I'd like to set up multiple bridged connections to different vlans and/or other hardware.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    I've been looking, and have found some quad port PCI nics for around $45. Seems a little pricey. In fact, I can buy a Catalyst 2950 (24 port) for about that same price, give or take a couple of dollars.

Is there any reason to not just use a switch connected to one trunk port NIC on a dynamips box? Would there be limitations to this?

If I'm understanding correctly, you can have 23 ports available on a 24 port 2950 for the same price you'd pay for a quad port network card.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would always go for Intel ET / PT adapter (come in 2 or 4 port flavours) - they are a lot more than $45 though .. But do support 802.1q .. we are using them fine on RHEL server on 802.1q ports and also port channels using balance-rr

But yea - those are enterprise cards hence the price .. don't know any cheaper ones unfortunately ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    ehnde wrote: »
    I've been looking, and have found some quad port PCI nics for around $45. Seems a little pricey. In fact, I can buy a Catalyst 2950 (24 port) for about that same price, give or take a couple of dollars.

Is there any reason to not just use a switch connected to one trunk port NIC on a dynamips box? Would there be limitations to this?

If I'm understanding correctly, you can have 23 ports available on a 24 port 2950 for the same price you'd pay for a quad port network card.

A lot of functions require configuring on ports, not subinterfaces, so you'll have a lot more flexibility that way.

It can be done using the VLAN'ing off method, but personally I prefer a direct connection so that theres nothing in the way that could influence the network.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    A lot of functions require configuring on ports, not subinterfaces, so you'll have a lot more flexibility that way.

It can be done using the VLAN'ing off method, but personally I prefer a direct connection so that theres nothing in the way that could influence the network.

Sorry I'm a little confused. A breakout switch provides MORE flexibility? Or did you mean having multiple NICs would be more flexibile. Also, when you factor in MPLS and VLAN tags, would there be an issue passing frames through a breakout switch? From what I understand, you can set the MTU to whatever you want pretty much on a PC NIC, but my 12 port 2950 only supports an MTU of 1500, so I'm not sure how this would pan out. Reference: Jumbo/Giant Frame Support on Catalyst Switches Configuration Example - Cisco Systems

The MTU is not even adjustable on my potential breakout switch.

So here is what I'm looking at:
    Dynamips box (MTU 9000) > Breakout switch (MTU 1500) > Catalyst 3524 (MTU 2000?) and other routers

Won't work, will it?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    From what I understand, you can set the MTU to whatever you want pretty much on a PC NIC

Not true. It all depends on the chipset.

For example, when I was building my NAS, I tried to build everything with jumbo frames support, since it would be an iscsi target for my esxi hosts. The broadcomm nic's on my esxi hosts support an MTU of 9000. The netgear NIC that I put in the box initially had a realtek chipset which only supported a max MTU of 7422. The Intel NIC that I replaced the netgear with runs an MTU of 9000 just fine.

Dynamips box (MTU 9000) > Breakout switch (MTU 1500) > Catalyst 3524 (MTU 2000?) and other routers

Won't work, will it?

Well you're probably a little too hung up on cost. For example, if you were willing to look at things other than Cisco, you might find some force10 switches that support jumbo frames on ebay for a reasonable price.

You are correct in that jumbo frames support is essentially useless if it's not supported end to end.

the intel 4 port NIC's are the only ones I trust, so if you end up going with an internal NIC, I'd use them.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Sorry I'm a little confused. A breakout switch provides MORE flexibility? Or did you mean having multiple NICs would be more flexibile. Also, when you factor in MPLS and VLAN tags, would there be an issue passing frames through a breakout switch? From what I understand, you can set the MTU to whatever you want pretty much on a PC NIC, but my 12 port 2950 only supports an MTU of 1500, so I'm not sure how this would pan out. Reference: Jumbo/Giant Frame Support on Catalyst Switches Configuration Example - Cisco Systems

Won't work, will it?

Wrong way round :), I meant using a physical card rather than into a switch is a preferred option, hence whey I used the term VLAN'ing off, as that is what you would have to do with a switch, and would have to do subinterfaces in Dynamips or messing around with the switch functionality in dynamips.

The idea being with this, some functions can only work on physical interfaces, so you couldn't really emulate them going to a switch if you are using subinterfaces and trunking down to a physical switch.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What Gomjaba and Forsaken_GA said. Intel NICs all the way if you're building a server. I've had good experiences with the PCI-X and PCIe Intel NICs. Never had any problems and they've always performed well without any weird issues unlike some other brands.

There are cheap multiport NICs out there made out of multiple VIA or Realtek chips and I wouldn't go near those with a 20 foot barge pole.
  • Options
    I broke down and did the right thing - 4 dual port Intel NICs are on their way. The reason I'm posting is in the event someone else is looking for multiport NICs in the future and runs across this thread. I still think the Adaptec 4 port network cards would be an acceptable choice if you can find them for under $40.

The model I purchased was the Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port network card. I got 4 of them for $50. They seem to go for $25 or less on ebay and are reported to work well on Linux and Windows.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    anything that can make use of the e1000 drivers will give you rock solid performance in pretty much any modern unix or windows install
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I broke down and did the right thing - 4 dual port Intel NICs are on their way. The reason I'm posting is in the event someone else is looking for multiport NICs in the future and runs across this thread. I still think the Adaptec 4 port network cards would be an acceptable choice if you can find them for under $40.

The model I purchased was the Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual Port network card. I got 4 of them for $50. They seem to go for $25 or less on ebay and are reported to work well on Linux and Windows.

Good choice - at least on the Intel part :p I prefer the ETs but you can't go wrong, even with the MTs ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p