Options

Use old linux+ and LPIC material to study for new Linux+?

quakebumquakebum Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know that new Linux+ will allow you to get the LPIC level 1.

Can I use training vids from the old Linux+ and LPIC to study for the new Linux+?

Will that sufficient or should I get the new vids?

Comments

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say save your money, get Roderick smiths new Linux + book, get a virtual machine environment setup or some old hardware and get tinkering, Work through the book do the labs and really get hands on with it.

That's what I am going to do anyways, Ive also bought myself the Linux and Unix administrators handbook 4th edition to further add some more advanced knowledge once I get Linux savvy.

Break it fix it and have fun best way to learn, no GUI aswell do it all through the command line and log and write down everything you learn for future reference.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you happen to have a link to Roderick Smith's "new" book? I have been looking for materials as well and almost everything I have found is from 4-10 years ago - nothing that I would consider recent enough to really cover what's on the LPIC tests. I'm using a handful of books that I have found such as the one everyone complains about from the Mike Meyers series, and an older book by Smith, but it's all mostly dry and seems a little dated.

Also to the OP - what videos are you referring to? I haven't been able to find ANY video training for linux at all. Would appreciate links :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    If you are used to study with videos, then I'd say you need to switch to books. Souljacker, there are several great guides on LPIC-1 with O'Reilly's being my favorite and Sybex having decent following as well.
    Still, no single guide covers all bases and you need to lab it up and read man pages of commands listed in the objectives, no matter which guide you choose.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Souljacker wrote: »
    Do you happen to have a link to Roderick Smith's "new" book? I have been looking for materials as well and almost everything I have found is from 4-10 years ago - nothing that I would consider recent enough to really cover what's on the LPIC tests. I'm using a handful of books that I have found such as the one everyone complains about from the Mike Meyers series, and an older book by Smith, but it's all mostly dry and seems a little dated.

Also to the OP - what videos are you referring to? I haven't been able to find ANY video training for linux at all. Would appreciate links :)

Thanks!

These look promising, pricy unless you are a student:

Linux Training, Open Source Training, LinuxCBT | UnixCBT | GNU/Linux | Unix | Computer Based Training Solutions
  • Options
    CertzCertz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know exam cram has got a book.
  • Options
    I find that the linux courseware is incredibly dry - I don't understand the love affair with the command line and the alphabet soup that most linux folks seem to just have a knack for, so I was hoping someone had some links to stuff that is truly meant for those of us who have more of a learning curve. I understand why he might be looking for videos and someone to actually explain what's going on.

It's easy to say "go read a man page" - it's a little more complex to be able to look at it and really understand what is being presented, and that's the point I am at with the Linux method of doing things.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check out the Reilly book and see if that's any better than this Smith book I have (looks like a Sybex).
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find that the linux courseware is incredibly dry - I don't understand the love affair with the command line and the alphabet soup that most linux folks seem to just have a knack for, so I was hoping someone had some links to stuff that is truly meant for those of us who have more of a learning curve.
    For most Linux administration, there is simply no GUI available, hence the emphasis on CLI. The other problem is that there is no standard GUI for Linux. The two main graphical environments are Gnome and KDE, followed by tons of less popular ones, and each have completely different graphical administration tools.

Furthermore, the graphical tools differ across versions and distributions. For example, administering a Ubuntu Linux server with Gnome will be different than administering a CentOS Linux server with Gnome. It would be much more work to try to learn the many GUI tools compared to CLI tools which are mostly standardized across all systems. But again, in most cases, Linux servers will have no GUI at all, so CLI is the only way.

The other concern is that in reality, you will have multiple Linux servers to manage. If you have to do something on one machine, you will probably have to do it on all of them, and if you have do something once, you will probably have to do it more than once. In either scenario, you will need to use use scripting and automation, which require CLI knowledge.
    It's easy to say "go read a man page" - it's a little more complex to be able to look at it and really understand what is being presented, and that's the point I am at with the Linux method of doing things.
    It just takes time. Build some Linux machines with no GUI, and try to do things with them. Over time, you will get used to getting things done with the CLI and reading man pages.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I find that the linux courseware is incredibly dry - I don't understand the love affair with the command line and the alphabet soup that most linux folks seem to just have a knack for, so I was hoping someone had some links to stuff that is truly meant for those of us who have more of a learning curve. I understand why he might be looking for videos and someone to actually explain what's going on.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check out the Reilly book and see if that's any better than this Smith book I have (looks like a Sybex).
    I mentioned man pages for a reason: this is how you pass the test. I am no fan of man pages either, I'd rather rename them into arbiter pages but no question on the test can go in detail further than the explanation in man.
    Love affair with CLI- Linux admins are more likely to encounter a terminal- only access to the system than win admins, hence sharpening CLI skills. It isn't love affair but simple statistics.
    Learning curve: try to use Linux more daily for both consuming content and administration. No empire was built in a day.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I received my copy of Roderick Smiths new book, Starting reading it the other day initial thoughts? wow this book is awful read the first chapter and your see what I mean there is no explanation of why commands are used and no real introduction it just dives straight into regular expressions, environment variables and all sorts of jargon I am finding it to be a very dry read at the moment, there has to be a better resource then this. This book is actually putting me off lol
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    ally_uk wrote: »
    I received my copy of Roderick Smiths new book, Starting reading it the other day initial thoughts? wow this book is awful read the first chapter and your see what I mean there is no explanation of why commands are used and no real introduction it just dives straight into regular expressions, environment variables and all sorts of jargon I am finding it to be a very dry read at the moment, there has to be a better resource then this. This book is actually putting me off lol

I completely understand what you mean. Those books are awful. I spent two weeks researching books and chose to watch old CBT Nugget videos instead. The format in which the material is delivered is much easier to understand. Try that route.

This is also a good starters guide for those interested in reading up on the CLI.

http://www.linuxcommand.org
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    I've been flirting with Linux for a long time and decided to go with Linux From Scratch. I found that this really explains everything well, and I'm having a lot of fun so far! Eventually I will read one of the many Linux+ books in order to get certified, but for now I am just trying to enjoy the process ;)

EDIT: Link: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
  • Options
    That's what I am talking about - there is something just..... Different about how Linux folks approach things. I have read books on DOS and BASIC that weren't anywhere near the level of dry that some of these books are.

I'm really trying to get through them but it's rough. I am looking at some of the content on Apex Web Media's sites which will hopefully shed some light on these books. If they are any good I'll let you guys know.