Taking the plunge

dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm about to take the test...the ICND1. I've been studying a lot. I got an 820 on the Boson Practice exam that comes with the Cisco Press book. Most of my incorrect answers are due to oversight -not reading the question or answers fully.

Any advice? I take it in 1 week.

thanks in advance

edit: I'm super nervous.

Comments

• ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    dirtyharry wrote: »
    I'm about to take the test...the ICND1. I've been studying a lot. I got an 820 on the Boson Practice exam that comes with the Cisco Press book. Most of my incorrect answers are due to oversight -not reading the question or answers fully.

thanks in advance

Know subnetting like the back of your hand. I was able to subnet quickly in my head before going for the exam....it really helped because even though question might not be FULLY about subnetting...you must subnet to answer the question. Having subnetting down removes a lot of stress from the exam.

Good luck! Remember its just an exam and you'll do fine.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Time Management. And practice your subnetting at subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

Here's a couple of "greatest hits pre-exam advice posts" I've made in the past with more specific suggestions and advice:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/61129-wish-me-luck.html#post480794
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/57032-640-802-tomorrow-8-13-10-a.html#post438730
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget to check the official exam topics if you haven't already done so. Make you have a solid understanding of every topic listed.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccent/icnd1?view=overview
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I got an 820 on the cisco press boson questions the night before I took my exam and scored 899 in the exam. Know your subnetting, obviously and just relax. Take your time when you first get there... the exam I took let you take like 45 minutes before the exam just going through the practice questions and stuff. I didn't take all the time, but I probably took 20-30 minutes just trying to calm my nerves icon_smile.gif
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Just relax the day of the exam maybe do some subnetting practice but don't cram and tire yourself out. Also what helped me for ICND1 was to use the, "free" time during the tutorial to write out subnet charts so I could do my calculations faster.

Good Luck!
  • dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I decided to take it Friday. wish me luck! icon_thumright.gif
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    I got an 820 on the cisco press boson questions the night before I took my exam and scored 899 in the exam. Know your subnetting, obviously and just relax. Take your time when you first get there... the exam I took let you take like 45 minutes before the exam just going through the practice questions and stuff. I didn't take all the time, but I probably took 20-30 minutes just trying to calm my nerves icon_smile.gif

I got an 820 after a 2-3 takes. Did you get that on the first go? I mean, there are 156 questions and I set it to 50-60 so there's enough to vary it but I want to compare notes...
  • dangtran09dangtran09 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□

thanks in advance

I'm taking network fundamentals and using cisco press book. where is the boson practice exam?

btw, good luck to u. where in VA?
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dangtran09 wrote: »
    I'm taking network fundamentals and using cisco press book. where is the boson practice exam?

There is none with the Academy books. It's this Cisco Press book:

Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201837): Wendell Odom: Books
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I've never bothered with test mode on the practice exams. I check each answer as I give it and see if it's right and if I'm wrong I stop and read the explanation and possibly do more research then move on. If you get it wrong just leave it wrong on the test and you still get a "real" score. Honestly I'd keep going through the practice questions until you are getting in the 90's. I know you will just memorize some of the answers but especially for the knowledge questions that isn't really a bad thing.

D
    I went out last night with a friend trying to relax and take it easy. Drank some beer (I know, I know. Pre-celebration...) and ate some good food. I ended up drinking way too much and hugged my buddy's toilet for about an hour until I felt well enough to stumble home.

I woke up this morning with a splitting headache and disgusting stomach pain. Clearly, drinking that much was a bad idea but at the time it seemed smart: drink a little and become relaxed. As I look back on it, I was probably so nervous about today I sought comfort in being drunk.

Anyway, I ate a good breakfast of cheesy eggs, greek yogurt and apple juice. I reviewed some stuff about RIP and went to the testing center...

I passed! icon_cheers.gif

50 questions

Score: 950

describe the operation of data networks: 93%
    implement a small switched network: 100%
    Implement an IP addressing Scheme and...etc: 100%
    Implement a small routed network: 80%
    Explain and select the appropriate admin tasks required for WLAN: 100%
    Identify security threats and describe general methods to mitigate: 100%
    Implement and verify WAN links: 100%

Thanks for the words of encouragement. On to the ICND2. I'll probably take it in 2 months or so. :)
    dangtran09 wrote: »

I'm in Richmond.
  • jdfriesenjdfriesen Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats in the pass. I am actually planning to take the CCENT as soon as I figure out how I could travel to the testing center.....seems like no one is willing to give me a ride there.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, nice score too. Maybe the drinking you did was good luck drinking? icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.