Options

My choice

FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
Hi Guys,

I have made a good start on my CCNA and was looking around at work for redundant kit. I was wondering if you think any of it is suitable for a CCNA Lab set up? Hope you can help. If the Kit is no use then let me know.

I have:

8x 1760s all have ISDN cards
8x 800 Series 877
4x 3550 Inline Power
4x 3550 without inline power.
5x WIC T1 Cards

I really want to do the lab that Jeremy does on Nuggets where he connects three routers together.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I know jeremy uses one 3500 series layer 3 switch... i'm not 100% sure that it's a 3550 but I think it is. I also know that he uses a 2950 switch. I would imagine that two of them are 2950s. You could probably use the 877 routers, but they aren't the ones that jeremy uses and I don't think those have any serial ports on them.
  • Options
    No serials icon_sad.gif they just have 4 ethernet ports and 1 wan port. Wonder if I can connect the wan ports back to back with a crossover?

I just want to simulate a wan link with two routers really and maybe connect one of the 800's to my broadband at some point.

Thanks
  • Options
    The reason I say that I would imagine that 2 of them are 2950s is because he doesn't do anything that you can't do on a 2950 switch on two of them. And the one that he does use for layer3 switching, he clearly states that it is a CCNP topic but just wants to show it to us so that we get hungry for more info icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    Futura, can you turn on your private messages?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's definitely suitable for the CCNA and even beyond. Its actually enough equipment for at least 3 CCNA labs. icon_mrgreen.gif

I would try to find a few more WIC-1T's for when you start on Frame Relay, but beyond that you should be good assuming that the routers all have a recent enough IOS (or have enough RAM and flash to be upgraded).
  • Options
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Futura, can you turn on your private messages?

IIRC, you need to have a minimum number of posts (I want to say 10 but don't quote me on that) or a mod/admin can enable it.
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    IIRC, you need to have a minimum number of posts or have a mod/admin enable it.

Sorry, I'm in work and sneekly getting on here when no ones looking..!

I have been searching the net and thought that the 1760's were too old for practice! as they did not have a new enough IOS?
  • Options
    Futura wrote: »

I have been searching the net and thought that the 1760's were too old for practice! as they did not have a new enough IOS?

Haha... the network admins might just be watching what you're doing right now!

The 1760s are pretty outdated, but I think they might be usable for some of the stuff. I'm not too sure.
  • Options

The 1760 is a great platform for the CCNA. I'm told that IOS 12.2 will do most of what you need for the CCNA (though I haven't really done the research to back this up myself), and the 1760 can run 12.4.

A lot of people (myself included) use labs with 2500 and 2600 series routers which can only run up to 12.3.
  • Options
    The 1760 is a great platform for the CCNA. I'm told that IOS 12.2 will do most of what you need for the CCNA (though I haven't really done the research to back this up myself), and the 1760 can run 12.4.

A lot of people (myself included) use labs with 2500 and 2600 series routers which can only run up to 12.3.

Really appreciate this info, Exactly what i've been searching the net for about 3 hours trying to find.

So, Correct me if i'm wrong, I can install a WIC T1 card in two of the 1760's and that will be a simulated WAN link? Just need to suss the cable now!!.

Thanks
  • Options

I have these too, but I have a 2610xm that has 12.4 on it. It's slow booting though.
  • Options
    Really appreciate this info, Exactly what i've been searching the net for about 3 hours trying to find.

So, Correct me if i'm wrong, I can install a WIC T1 card in two of the 1760's and that will be a simulated WAN link? Just need to suss the cable now!!.

Thanks

Assuming that you have the correct cables, yes. T1 crossover cables can be bought or you can make your own.

How to Make a T1 Cross Over Cable.  T1 Cross over Cables.
  • Options
    Assuming that you have the correct cables, yes. T1 crossover cables can be bought or you can make your own.

How to Make a T1 Cross Over Cable.* T1 Cross over Cables.

Hmmm... Wish I would have known that before I spent $10 a piece on back to back cables haha. It's just a standard crossover cable, right?
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    No it's not. T1 uses pins 1245 and Ethernet uses pins 1236. I don't know what an rj45 crimper costs but I would suggest buying one. RJ45 ends are cheap and by the time I figure out how many custom cables I've made for pennies it has easily covered its cost.

On the 1760's if you have enough flash and ram you can get 12.4 installed. With some wic t1 cards you have yourself a decent network. Also the 1760's are good CME routers if you are leaning towards voice.
  • Options
    tha_dub wrote: »
    No it's not. T1 uses pins 1245 and Ethernet uses pins 1236. I don't know what an rj45 crimper costs but I would suggest buying one. RJ45 ends are cheap and by the time I figure out how many custom cables I've made for pennies it has easily covered its cost.

On the 1760's if you have enough flash and ram you can get 12.4 installed. With some wic t1 cards you have yourself a decent network. Also the 1760's are good CME routers if you are leaning towards voice.

Ahh... I don't know what I was thinking just now. I make cables all the time. Crimpers are well worth the 20 bucks or so that they cost. Thanks!
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Ahh... I don't know what I was thinking just now. I make cables all the time. Crimpers are well worth the 20 bucks or so that they cost. Thanks!

Yeah not a standard Ethernet crossover cable, since its a T1 port, placing them back to back would the same as connecting PABX's together.. and T1 uses the RJ48 signaling instead of the RJ45 signal patterns.

And technically speaking its not called an "RJ45 crimper", as RJ45 is not the connector just the electrical standard used. So its just a crimping tool that supports the use of 8P8C, 8P6C etc... People at work are constantly getting confused about that for some reason...
  • Options
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    Yeah not a standard Ethernet crossover cable, since its a T1 port, placing them back to back would the same as connecting PABX's together.. and T1 uses the RJ48 signaling instead of the RJ45 signal patterns.

And technically speaking its not called an "RJ45 crimper", as RJ45 is not the connector just the electrical standard used. So its just a crimping tool that supports the use of 8P8C, 8P6C etc... People at work are constantly getting confused about that for some reason...

Maybe because "crimping tool that supports the use of 8P8C, 8P6C etc..." doesn't exactly roll off your tongue. icon_cool.gif

And a copy machine isn't really a Xerox, but when I say Xerox, you know what I mean right?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's 24 devices, why so many?
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »

why stop when you're on a roll.
    ...was looking around at work for redundant kit...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    why stop when you're on a roll.

Yeah but eight 1760's??
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Grab 3 or 4 of the 1760s and 3 of the 3550s for your CCNA Lab. And all the WICs. You'll still need to figure out a Frame Relay cloud solution -- but a couple of WIC-2T interface cards in that 4th 1760 should let it act as your frame relay switch for the other 3 1760 (if you had WIC-1T or WIC-2T interface cards for them).
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Since he did say that this was redundant work hardware, I'd guess either old spares or leftovers from an upgrade -- or a combination of both.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    The kit has been pulled out of sites that have been closed down, we emptied the cabs and put all the kit on the redundant kit shelf, So i'm going to resurect some of it;

Ok, the WIC T1's I pulled out of some 1600's that were also in the scrap bin.

Did I mean to say 1T? because:

The WIC's have a serial connector and not a ethernet connector! Does this make them useless? they have loads of pins on them.

Like these:

http://www.ixustrade.nl/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Ixustrade/4D3C/4A63/A67E/D3BB/2365/515D/32EB/2371/Cisco_WIC-1T.jpg

Just want to create that wan link!

Have plenty of these also

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/7960/vic-2bri-st-te.gif

These are in the 1760's already. Will these go back to back...

Many thanks
  • Options
    Those serial connectors are fine... you just need a back to back serial cable. You can get them off ebay for < 10.00. I've gotten some and they work fine with the wic1t... good luck!!
  • Options
    Maybe because "crimping tool that supports the use of 8P8C, 8P6C etc..." doesn't exactly roll off your tongue. icon_cool.gif

And a copy machine isn't really a Xerox, but when I say Xerox, you know what I mean right?

Touché icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    The kit has been pulled out of sites that have been closed down, we emptied the cabs and put all the kit on the redundant kit shelf, So i'm going to resurect some of it;

Ok, the WIC T1's I pulled out of some 1600's that were also in the scrap bin.

Did I mean to say 1T? because:

The WIC's have a serial connector and not a ethernet connector! Does this make them useless? they have loads of pins on them.

Like these:

http://www.ixustrade.nl/WebRoot/Store/Shops/Ixustrade/4D3C/4A63/A67E/D3BB/2365/515D/32EB/2371/Cisco_WIC-1T.jpg

Just want to create that wan link!

Have plenty of these also

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/7960/vic-2bri-st-te.gif

These are in the 1760's already. Will these go back to back...

Many thanks

The 'DB60' style connectors are cheap as chips these days, and work fine (i use them in my labs), the newer WIC2T is just a small form factor connector.. does the same thing, just allows more connections per device.

the 2BRI is your BRI ISDN WICs.. so supporting the use of normal RJ11/12 style connector with a 2B+D 144kbs payload... (2x 64kbs bearer (B) channel) and 1x Q.931 or X.25 signalling (D Channel).. i dont know a great deal about the implementation since its a dieing technology, but frame relay is still used to some extent.

good luck..