Enhanced Remote SPAN

burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
Hey all,

Hope your CCIE studies are going well. I know mine are not. I recently moved and am just now setting up my study area, I hope to finish up this MPLS book and crank out the BGP+MPLS composite.

Anyways, in the interim, I have been asked to come up with some sort of remote switch port mirroring. I know all about ERSPAN but I'm not sure exactly which models support it. So far I can only seem to confirm that the 6500 and the new Nexus switches support it.

If that's the case I don't have either of those models, I need some sort of mirroring that works over L3 boundaries, any ideas?

-Burbankmarc

Comments

• vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if you could hairpin the traffic to another port and use an L2 mpls xconnect to extend L2 across your L3 core to a port that is near enough to you to plug a device in that has wireshark or tcpdump. Dunno if this will work and it's probably gonna chew up a significant amount of bandwidth.

Do you have the option of deploying a linux box local to the site that you could plug up to the SPAN port? Then you have all kinds of options...
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I can put a linux box in there, and that is something that i've thought about. But this isn't for packet analysis it's for call recording. We have a telstrat idvr that records using a mirror port. So this stuff needs to be pretty enterprise stable.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can put a linux box in there, and that is something that i've thought about. But this isn't for packet analysis it's for call recording. We have a telstrat idvr that records using a mirror port. So this stuff needs to be pretty enterprise stable.

How much traffic is going to the mirror port?
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    probably not a lot, it's only for local calls at that facility, which I don't think they get too many. But what they do get needs to be 100% recorded.