Options

A+ today! and Intro

RPMar52RPMar52 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon all,

I wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for the advice that they may or may not have realized they were giving, but that I certainly benefited from! I'm new to the forums and to the IT field. I've been tinkering with computers for about 15 years and am pretty computer savvy, but nothing along the lines of official IT work. I just separated from the Army and am looking to get into the IT field. My short term plan is to get the CompTIA trio in order get my foot in the door, preferably in a network or systems admin job but anything that will allow me to get real experience while pursuing some higher level and vendor-specific certifications. Longer term I'm planning on a MS in INFOSEC or Information Assurance and to work in that field. Any advice about this path would be greatly appreciated.

I passed my 701 yesterday and 702 today and got my A+ cert, also my first IT cert! I've been reading this forum but haven't yet posted. All of the advice has been very helpful.

My regimen: Skillsoft Computer Based Training, Professor Messer's videos, Myers' AIO and Passport. Got the PP first so I read that, but I'd recommend the AIO. I probably could've passed using just the AIO, but I was more concerned with mastering the material then answering 200 questions on it.

Anyways...thanks for the advice and see you all around...off to the Network+ forum and studies!
Studying for: Linux+; C|EH

Comments

• Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats and welcome to TE!
    I too felt that the AIO would have been sufficient.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    FeedyFeedy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on getting that passing grade. I am scheduled to take my A+ test next Tuesday. I have the Myers AIO book and I am currently using the Professor Messer videos as a study guide as well.

Was the questions on the exam similar to the ones in the AIO book? I was looking at some comments on Amazon about the book and someone said the questions on the exam are much harder than the ones he provides in his book.

Once again congrats on your passing score and thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    RPMar52RPMar52 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Feedy wrote: »
    Was the questions on the exam similar to the ones in the AIO book? I was looking at some comments on Amazon about the book and someone said the questions on the exam are much harder than the ones he provides in his book.

Feedy,

I felt like the AIO/Totaltester questions were very similar to the questions I saw on 701, a few even verbatim. I felt like the 702 was a little different animal though. I only saw a handful of questions that I felt completely unprepared for on either test, but the 702 seemed like there were at least 2 good answers for the tough questions, making it more difficult IMO. Perhaps I struggled more on the Practical Applications because of my relative lack of experience, but if you understand the concepts and information that the 702 practice tests are testing then you'll be fine.

I also think that "harder" is a subjective term...the same categories/objectives that I struggled with on the practice tests were where I was weakest on the cert tests. I would recommend that you pay attention to the breakdown by category at the end of the practice tests and brush up on the areas you're consistently struggling with.

Hope that helps and best of luck! You'll do great!
    Studying for: Linux+; C|EH
  • Options
    Andy GriffinAndy Griffin Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations. I too am trying to break into the IT field (I separated from the Army back in 1992) and your success further inspires me.