Options

Determining your interests

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
I couldn't think up a good title.

The wife wants to get into IT, but has next to 0 non-user computer experience. She's been struggling with the books I have (what I used for my CCENT/CCNA). I've pointed out to her that she needs to decide what area of IT she's interested in before beating herself against material that she may not even be interested in, but neither of us really knows how to figure out what area that might be! I'm not even sure how I ever decided; I guess just having all these years of exposure gave me enough of an idea what was what, but we don't have 15 years to get her that exposure.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is find a list that describes the different common 'areas' in detail so she can review and see if any of them sound really interesting, but I've not been able to locate anything like that.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My suggestion would be to take a couple of classes at a local community college. She will get the introduction to IT in some of the 100-level classes and then she can take Cisco/MS/Programming/Whatever classes to find her niche.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since she's a beginner you may want to start her out studying A+ material. I'm not recommending actually getting the A+ but just the exposure to the material may be good for her.
    Another good thing for her may be to get the study material for the CIW Foundations which is actually a very good introduction to IT as it covers a lot of material but just not very deep. A lot of us WGU students have the books (most are barely used) and would probably sell them for just the postage required to mail them to you. I think they may have updated the books since I got mine 2 years ago but if you want them you can PM me.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Make sure she gets some gradual exposure to RDBMs. I have pointed this out before: the number of female MS MVPs for SQL Server is well above the number for other technologies.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Packets aren't for everyone. I agree with the classes at community college, but a faster approach might be to have her touch some stuff and see what she likes....stand up a VMware ESXi server and install a few flavors of OS's Linux, M$ server/host, etc and see what she likes doing.

If she doesn't like cisco/networking stuff. Ask her WHY she wants to work in IT? Its a very challenging field that will require non-stop learning to move up/be successful....if you don't love it and know why you love it I don't see that person being successful.

We have also forgotten that there are TONS of functional IT positions focusing around SDLC/Systems Development. This pays very well and I see a lot of females in these roles, but they typically require a 4year degree in MIS/IS/something related.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure she gets some gradual exposure to RDBMs. I have pointed this out before: the number of female MS MVPs for SQL Server is well above the number for other technologies.

I remember you saying that, and have suggested she look into it. She works with/is learning access where she works and really enjoys it. Of course comparing access to sql is blasphemy, but... I don't know. I'm worried she doesn't really want into IT, but sees me enjoying my studies and labbing and is trying to get on board.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I remember you saying that, and have suggested she look into it. She works with/is learning access where she works and really enjoys it. Of course comparing access to sql is blasphemy, but... I don't know. I'm worried she doesn't really want into IT, but sees me enjoying my studies and labbing and is trying to get on board.

Why don't you let her spend a whole day watching you while studying/labbing so that she really have a closer look. If you did I'm sure she will either walk away really quick or love it more and you will know she's ready.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why does she want to get into IT in the first place?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    I'm worried she doesn't really want into IT, but sees me enjoying my studies and labbing and is trying to get on board.

Maybe she is looking for something intellectual that the two of you can do and enjoy together which is also a career. Just be thankful that you are not a mob hit man, then you would really have to worry or watch your back. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ITIL, Project+ and HDI certs seem to appeal to women at first better. Not sure why.
    -Daniel