Options

Project Mgmt Tools/Software Development Methodologies

XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was just wondering what current methodologies are you all currently using or will implement in the future at your cuurent places where you work....also, what project management tools do you use as a result of your companys methodology

Software Development Methodlogoies such as....Agile Development, Waterfall Development, Unified Process Development, Rapid Application Development, etc...

Project Management Tools such as...TargetProcess, VersionOne, Rally, Pivotal Tracker, Assembla, etc...
LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start coding and let the guy who comes behind you find your errors? Is that a methodology? If we actually had a methodology we would use SharePoint to track/manage the project. I am about to read Amazon.com: Professional Application Lifecycle Management with Visual Studio 2010 (Wrox Programmer to Programmer) (9780470484265): Mickey Gousset, Brian Keller, Ajoy Krishnamoorthy, Martin Woodward: Books this weekend as I feel our team needs a dose of this sort of stuff. Our fisrt LOB application is turning into a headache for me because we did not start the project properly.... Do you have any suggestions for reading on methodology?
  • Options
    My company prior to me getting hired was strictly Waterfall. After I was hired, my Applications Development Manager began the shift from Waterfall to Agile which is the phase we are in now. These methodologies are typically used in terms of software development but are useful in other realms of IT. From my research it seems that most companies have switched or already have implemented a software methodology....which in most cases has been the Agile Methodology.

Basically from reading and researching a few places, Agile it is framework that promotes development iterations throughout the life-cycle of a project. It minimizes risk by developing software in short amounts of time. Developments accomplished in one unit of time (generally up to four weeks icon_surprised.gif ) is called an iteration. Each iteration is a project with analysis, design, coding, testing and also documentation icon_surprised.gif All the required functionality may not be covered in one iteration for releasing the project. But it will be covered in multiple iterations. The idea is to have a defect free release available at the end of each iteration.

Here are a few links I have used to gain knowledge about the Agile Methodology and other SDLC methodologies

Software Development Methodologies

What is Agile

Agile Methodology

Questions about Agile

• Options
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    My company prior to me getting hired was strictly Waterfall. After I was hired, my Applications Development Manager began the shift from Waterfall to Agile which is the phase we are in now. These methodologies are typically used in terms of software development but are useful in other realms of IT. From my research it seems that most companies have switched or already have implemented a software methodology....which in most cases has been the Agile Methodology.

Basically from reading and researching a few places, Agile it is framework that promotes development iterations throughout the life-cycle of a project. It minimizes risk by developing software in short amounts of time. Developments accomplished in one unit of time (generally up to four weeks icon_surprised.gif ) is called an iteration. Each iteration is a project with analysis, design, coding, testing and also documentation icon_surprised.gif All the required functionality may not be covered in one iteration for releasing the project. But it will be covered in multiple iterations. The idea is to have a defect free release available at the end of each iteration.

Here are a few links I have used to gain knowledge about the Agile Methodology and other SDLC methodologies

Software Development Methodologies

What is Agile

Agile Methodology

Questions about Agile

Thanks for the links. I have read a little on the Agile methodology. I think it is what would fit our team best being that we are small, dynamic, and have to fill several roles including net/sys admin.

I have been meaning to ask you regarding this thread and a few of your other threads. Why are you getting your CCNA when it seems you have been sucked into the dark, I mean dev, side?
  • Options
    Thanks for the links. I have read a little on the Agile methodology. I think it is what would fit our team best being that we are small, dynamic, and have to fill several roles including net/sys admin.

I have been meaning to ask you regarding this thread and a few of your other threads. Why are you getting your CCNA when it seems you have been sucked into the dark, I mean dev, side?

No problem, yes, it would be a good fit. We are also going to start shortly using VersionOne for our project managment tool. I can't wait to play with that icon_cheers.gif

Well, I was interested in learning more about infrastructure and the network side of things...but everytime I take one step forward, I go 3 step back towards dev...lol. My manager just informed me the other day that my name came up in regards to help with Silverlight development and Sharepoint dev/admin/support..icon_cheers.gif..soo, may be a bust for the CCNA icon_cry.gif....ah well, as long as I am learning and not boredicon_lol.gif, thats all that matters icon_study.gif

• Options
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    No problem, yes, it would be a good fit. We are also going to start shortly using VersionOne for our project managment tool. I can't wait to play with that icon_cheers.gif

Well, I was interested in learning more about infrastructure and the network side of things...but everytime I take one step forward, I go 3 step back towards dev...lol. My manager just informed me the other day that my name came up in regards to help with Silverlight development and Sharepoint dev/admin/support..icon_cheers.gif..soo, may be a bust for the CCNA icon_cry.gif....ah well, as long as I am learning and not boredicon_lol.gif, thats all that matters icon_study.gif

That's exactly what I do. SQL Server + SharePoint + Silverlight. We are building a LOB app right now that is going to integrate through Silverlight, SharePoint's BCS, and SQL Server Reporting Services. We really should have sat down and worked things out first - but instead plowed ahead and now I am having to rewrite schema in the DB all day. Eh, but we are learning.
  • Options
    That's exactly what I do. SQL Server + SharePoint + Silverlight. We are building a LOB app right now that is going to integrate through Silverlight, SharePoint's BCS, and SQL Server Reporting Services. We really should have sat down and worked things out first - but instead plowed ahead and now I am having to rewrite schema in the DB all day. Eh, but we are learning.

Thats great, I will definitely be staying in contact with you when I need some assistance. He stated they wanted to have someone one-site who does support/admin work on Sharepoint so I'm excited my name came up. I'll let you know further what it will actually entell...I remember he mentioning building sites on Sharepoint but thats about all I can recall. I'm sure you can in telling about any certs I can embark upon if this becomes a daily routine for me

• Options
    Any other developers or engineers on the board use a certain methodology....