My first Cisco device

agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Oh i am so happy that i could find one man which was selling Cisco device in my country... it looks like mision imposible to get one for cheap price... new 2611XM cost almost 2.5k $ its to much for me, and when i check on ebay i am just dreaming that one day we will have such prices... I got my first Cisco product and i got it like for 200$ it's Cisco 2600 with upgraded ram/flash to maximum i am now fully ready for my CCNA studies icon_cheers.gif not fully but almost i can't get my hands on Cisco switch, so i think i will be good for now with simulation. My Lab is quite primitive but it's better than nothing.

Lab:

Main router - Tplink WR741N
Second Router - Cisco 2600
Host 1 - Redhat Fedora, learning to make servers connected to Cisco router.
Host 2 - Laptop Windows 7 connected via wireless.

Network:

61557555.png

Sorry for my poor drawing skills.

R1: WAN IP
Switch port 1 to R2

R2: E0/0: DHCP Reservated address: 192.168.1.2
E0/1: Static address: 192.168.10.1
PC1: Static address: 192.168.10.2
PC2: DHCP Reserved address: 192.168.1.5

I started with easy configurations, like NAT, a little bit of ACL's and Static routing. Now i am reading as you see at signature, god bless me i will need some luck, i just started with fundamentals and going on further. What i could to change ? i don't want to connect R2 to WAN becouse it only suports 10BaseT it's quite slow yeha.. but maybe i will if it somehow changes my practice plans. what you think ? ;] What about You mates ? what was Your first Cisco device and how it changed Your life ? ;D
Currently working on:
- CCNA
Future plans:
- CCNA Security
- CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
Currently watching:
- CBTnuggets Cisco 640-822 Jeremy Cioara

2011 10k challenge
Pages read: 137

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    You spent 200 litas on a 2600 series router? You should be able to get them for 60 or 70, easy...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GNS3 and the IOS from your 2611 will become handy quickly... icon_wink.gif

http://www.gns3.net/

You will have yourself as big a network to play with you want.
  • agpltagplt Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    You spent 200 litas on a 2600 series router? You should be able to get them for 60 or 70, easy...

i spent 500 litas on this router it coasted near 200bucks. it was bad decision ? icon_rolleyes.gif btw it's very hard to get cheap cisco router in our country, i can't buy via ebay because nobody sends it other atlanta.
    GNS3 and the IOS from 2611 your will become handy quickly...

Sorry i can't catch your mind. Can you be more accurate ? or just formulate it in different way ;]
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

- Todd Lammle “CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801)
    Currently watching:

2011 10k challenge
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    agplt wrote: »
    i spent 500 litas on this router it coasted near 200bucks. it was bad decision ? icon_rolleyes.gif

Was it new? If you are studying, I would buy used Cisco gear off ebay. You can get a used 2611xm for 50 to 60 USD off ebay.

GNS3 is emulation software that requires Cisco IOS to run. It is a very good tool if you already have a copy of a Cisco IOS image.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i spent 500 litas on this router it coasted near 200bucks. it was bad decision ? icon_rolleyes.gif btw it's very hard to get cheap cisco router in our country, i can't buy via ebay because nobody sends it other atlanta.

Sorry i can't catch your mind. Can you be more accurate ? or just formulate it in different way ;]

Sorry about that. I modified my thread to display the hyperlink for GNS3.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    btw it's very hard to get cheap cisco router in our country, i can't buy via ebay because nobody sends it other atlanta.
    You should try eBay.co.uk I find it hard to get Cisco stuff off the Irish eBay website. For sellers that say they only ship to the UK, you can usually send them a message to ask if they will ship to Ireland or Lithuania in your case. They go find out how much it will cost or they won't do it all. Most will send it with the extra shipping costs and a tracking number.

But I would agree with using GNS3 as much as possible and just get Cisco 2950s or 3550s which can't be simulated.

EDIT: Check out this video on this site to give you an idea about GNS3.
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Was it new? If you are studying, I would buy used Cisco gear off ebay. You can get a used 2611xm for 50 to 60 USD off ebay.

GNS3 is emulation software that requires Cisco IOS to run. It is a very good tool if you already have a copy of a Cisco IOS image.

icon_study.gifRead what i have wrote i am form Lithuania and from ebay guys don't send Cisco gear to EU, they can send some other components but not all router/switch. All Cisco stuff only sent to US. If it were possible to do it ceaper i really would do that but now. ;/
    GNS3 and the IOS from your 2611 will become handy quickly...

GNS3 | Graphical Network Simulator

You will have yourself as big a network to play with you want.

Yeah i know this simulation stuff etc, but i think real gear is more comfortable, now i have feeling of real thing, connecting it directly to Serial port, configuring, can open it and look what king of stuff is in it and how it looks, change cables physically and much more, yeah it maybe sounds freaky but i just love this stuff. it's really nice, also yeah i could install GNS3, probably i will for switch part and some more complex topologies. Yeah maybe i droped money to swamp for now i am happy what i have ;] icon_cheers.gif
    You should try eBay.co.uk I find it hard to get Cisco stuff off the Irish eBay website. For sellers that say they only ship to the UK, you can usually send them a message to ask if they will ship to Ireland or Lithuania in your case. They go find out how much it will cost or they won't do it all. Most will send it with the extra shipping costs and a tracking number.

But I would agree with using GNS3 as much as possible and just get Cisco 2950s or 3550s which can't be simulated.

EDIT: Check out this video on this site to give you an idea about GNS3.

Yeah i have checked stuff in co.uk it's same thing or it's very expensive or i can't find anything what i need. man it's unfortunate... i could get for same price all lab on ebay.uk Cisco 2600 CCNA Lab 2x 2610, 2500 & 2924XL Switch on eBay (end time 25-Feb-11 13:44:32 GMT) , and newer stuff... oh ;} what a shame ;]

Sorry guys for cold response or wharever i am just kinda mad on myself because i needed to lend money to buy this stuff and now i find out that i could buy all lab for same price it just annoys me how stupid sometimes i can be ;]
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

Currently watching:

2011 10k challenge
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you ever tried a "skybox" service? Basically what it does is they give you a address in USA/UK and whenever you are buying your stuff, you tell the seller to ship to the address provided by the "skybox" service. When it reaches the USA/UK address, the company would ship it to you for a fee. Note that if Lithuania charges custom/taxes for routers/switches, you would also have to pay those fees too.

For example, I bought some 1721 routers from Ebay and this was the breakdown for ONE of them ( all prices in USD.)

Total cost to buy the 1721 router and ship it to anywhere in the US from Ebay seller : $27
    The skybox service I used charged : $ 20 to ship it down to where I live.
    Finally when it arrived customs charged : $18
    Total : $65

For the 2950/3550 switches I bought I had to pay $38-48 a piece for the shipping (NOT including the custom charges) cuz they are bigger and heavier than the 1721's
    icon_study.gifRead what i have wrote i am form Lithuania and from ebay guys don't send Cisco gear to EU, they can send some other components but not all router/switch. All Cisco stuff only sent to US. If it were possible to do it ceaper i really would do that but now. ;/

Yeah i have checked stuff in co.uk it's same thing or it's very expensive or i can't find anything what i need. man it's unfortunate... i could get for same price all lab on ebay.uk Cisco 2600 CCNA Lab 2x 2610, 2500 & 2924XL Switch on eBay (end time 25-Feb-11 13:44:32 GMT) , and newer stuff... oh ;} what a shame ;]

1.)Dont buy the All in One lab kits. They are still outdated and in most cases they are overpriced although it is better than pay $200 for 1 2610/11 router.

2.)So apparently a 2610/11 costs £29-£35 shipped. Now thats something to QQ for.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-2610-ROUTER-2600-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-19-00-INC-VAT-/250768059720pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item3a62f0ed48#ht_2457wt_834
  • Paper TigerPaper Tiger Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man! You must be kidding ... you can get cisco stuff from anywhere in EU. Go to German ebay.de, british sites, etc, etc. There are plenty of good deals and most sellers ship within EU & you don't have to incur import tariff being from a EU-member country. My bro lives in Estonia and has been getting all his Cisco equipment hustle free from the UK and Ger.

You can get most Cisco routers at relatively decent prices even from SPB, Russia, but must do a due diligence choosing a trusted seller. The only extra you have to keep in mind when ordering from non-EU countries are import duties applied to parcels coming outside the EU.

Also, IMPZ gave a good advice using "skybox" or alike services, which will buy things on their name and forward packages to you. They charge a small commission, but it's still much cheaper than being rip-offed by locals.

Finally, if you are so desperate of getting Cisco lab gear, just make a post here in a forum, if moderators won't mind. It seems there are plenty of euro members, who upgrading/selling their equipment and you guys might work out a deal.
    impz wrote: »
    Have you ever tried a "skybox" service? Basically what it does is they give you a address in USA/UK and whenever you are buying your stuff, you tell the seller to ship to the address provided by the "skybox" service. When it reaches the USA/UK address, the company would ship it to you for a fee. Note that if Lithuania charges custom/taxes for routers/switches, you would also have to pay those fees too.

For example, I bought some 1721 routers from Ebay and this was the breakdown for ONE of them ( all prices in USD.)

Total cost to buy the 1721 router and ship it to anywhere in the US from Ebay seller : $27
    The skybox service I used charged : $ 20 to ship it down to where I live.
    Finally when it arrived customs charged : $18
    Total : $65

For the 2950/3550 switches I bought I had to pay $38-48 a piece for the shipping (NOT including the custom charges) cuz they are bigger and heavier than the 1721's

1.)Dont buy the All in One lab kits. They are still outdated and in most cases they are overpriced although it is better than pay $200 for 1 2610/11 router.

2.)So apparently a 2610/11 costs £29-£35 shipped. Now thats something to QQ for.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CISCO-2610-ROUTER-2600-CCNA-CCNP-LAB-19-00-INC-VAT-/250768059720pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item3a62f0ed48#ht_2457wt_834

Thank You for your advice about skybox, it's woth to know ;] But just for now i think i won't buy anything i will prepare byself in fast pace spending a lot, lot hours studying.
    Man! You must be kidding ... you can get cisco stuff from anywhere in EU. Go to German ebay.de, british sites, etc, etc. There are plenty of good deals and most sellers ship within EU & you don't have to incur import tariff being from a EU-member country. My bro lives in Estonia and has been getting all his Cisco equipment hustle free from the UK and Ger.

You can get most Cisco routers at relatively decent prices even from SPB, Russia, but must do a due diligence choosing a trusted seller. The only extra you have to keep in mind when ordering from non-EU countries are import duties applied to parcels coming outside the EU.

Also, IMPZ gave a good advice using "skybox" or alike services, which will buy things on their name and forward packages to you. They charge a small commission, but it's still much cheaper than being rip-offed by locals.

Finally, if you are so desperate of getting Cisco lab gear, just make a post here in a forum, if moderators won't mind. It seems there are plenty of euro members, who upgrading/selling their equipment and you guys might work out a deal.

Thank You all for Your advices it is good lesson for me, that if i want to do something firstly i need to make good research on it, not going like crazy and buying old stuff with happy face ;]]] and thinking "what a good deal, man i am so lucky"... yeah right... ;]
    Currently working on:
    - CCNA
    Future plans:
    - CCNA Security
    - CCNA Voice

Currently reading:

Currently watching:

2011 10k challenge