Options

IT recruiters asking personal information

dangtran09dangtran09 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
such as last 4 digits of SSN, DOB, etc.

Why do they need these personal information before submitting your CV to their client?

Comments

• Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    dangtran09 wrote: »

Why do they need these personal information before submitting your CV to their client?

I cannot answer your question directly but here in New Zealand privacy laws are clear about what personal information can or cannot be asked about and used as criteria for selection of employment candidates. Breaking privacy laws here means the courts take a dim view of offenders.

The only reason I can see for them to want some personal information like SSN etc is to run a security check. But as I understand it the type of personal information you list are requested only if the candidate is in serious contention to be offered the job for doing security checks etc (at least that what's happens in NZ).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□

They shouldn't, the only time you would give that info to them, SSN at least, is when you're face to face filling out the background check info. DOB usually never comes up, as far as I know in the US, I don't believe they legally can ask that.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I know a few companies that require SSN to even apply. I've never been asked for DOB though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Far as I'm concerned, they don't. I would politely ask why they need that information, making it clear that I'm hesitant to give it.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Some companies like AT&T, typically require the SSN before they will accept your application. However, I have never been able to get an acceptable answer, why.

They should not ask your DOB, because that could lead to potentrial age discrimination. As we know, all companies never discriminate by age (he said, tongue firmly implanted in cheek) icon_smile.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Some companies do credit checks to determine whether or not you're a responsible individual. This may be what the SSN request is after.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps, but they still need written permission from the candidate to do so. This would not be done at the start of the application process, anyway.
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    People change addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc. Your name and the LAST 4 of your social security number or the DAY of your birth can be used to help differentiate you from all the other John Smiths who have worked for the company and been fired and aren't eligible to work for the company again. Telling someone you were born on Feb 29th doesn't tell them how old your are. And telling someone the last 4 of your SSN doesn't give them your entire Social Security Number (as long as you don't tell them where you were born -- in which case they can make a good good guess of your SSN).

And as someone else pointed out in a previous thread, some companies did buyouts of employees -- and hiring them back as more expensive contractors through staffing agencies kind of makes the original "right sizing" (and expenses) pointless. And offering a former employee a contract position -- and then resending the offer once the company has their SSN makes that hiring process a waste of time and could have other ramifications.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!