Options

Passed CCENT, trying to break into IT field

Brass KnucklesBrass Knuckles Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

Well, I just passed the CCENT yesterday. Now, I'm going to study for my CCNA and hope to pass that in a couple of months. However, I come from the financial investments world and am trying to break into the IT field. I've been a technology junkie since the days of my Commodore VIC-20, C=64, AMIGA, and now PC's. Secretly, I always wanted to work in IT.

Do you guys have any advice on how to break into the field just to get the practical experience I need and to help me pass the CCNA? Even though I have years of professional work experience, I am willing to come in at ANY level just to get my feet wet. I live in the DC area and no company here seems to want to talk to you unless you have DoD experience, some kind of secret clearance, and Federal experience. How do I get those things without ALREADY having those things. I'm stuck in a Layer 2 loop. :)

I mean, I'm not a dumb guy. I have a BS in Finance from a decent school and am very analytical. I just don't know where to begin. I'm willing to move if I have to just to get my foot in the door!

Thanks in advance,
Phillip

Comments

• Options
    iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i would say keep pushing. i am in a similar position (electrical engineering) with the ccent looking to get into hardcore networking. finish and get the ccna and i think things will look brighter.
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    iyare wrote: »
    i would say keep pushing. i am in a similar position (electrical engineering) with the ccent looking to get into hardcore networking. finish and get the ccna and i think things will look brighter.

I hope so. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I aim to get that CCNA in April. My friend also suggested learning VisualBasic because that programming skill coupled with my financial background seems to be gaining traction. But, I really like the Networking side and was looking to get into IT security later on.

Still, good luck to you as well. Let's hope good things for all of us.
  • Options
    iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dude, forget visual basic. learn a programming language that will help with your networking career. go to dice.com and look at the skills they ask for. then get those skills!! i would say perl, python and tkl would be of more benefit for folks like us.
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    Well, I know there's a crop of new positions called "Financial Engineers/Programmers" that were asking for VisualBasic and SQL skills. If I knew how to program SQL, I probably would not have been laid off from my old company in 2009. You won't find those jobs on dice.com. They will be jobs on Wall street and advertised at finance job sites (glocap, analytic recruiting, etc.). But, I hear what you're saying.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi folks,

Well, I just passed the CCENT yesterday. Now, I'm going to study for my CCNA and hope to pass that in a couple of months. However, I come from the financial investments world and am trying to break into the IT field. I've been a technology junkie since the days of my Commodore VIC-20, C=64, AMIGA, and now PC's. Secretly, I always wanted to work in IT.

Do you guys have any advice on how to break into the field just to get the practical experience I need and to help me pass the CCNA? Even though I have years of professional work experience, I am willing to come in at ANY level just to get my feet wet. I live in the DC area and no company here seems to want to talk to you unless you have DoD experience, some kind of secret clearance, and Federal experience. How do I get those things without ALREADY having those things. I'm stuck in a Layer 2 loop. :)

I mean, I'm not a dumb guy. I have a BS in Finance from a decent school and am very analytical. I just don't know where to begin. I'm willing to move if I have to just to get my foot in the door!

Thanks in advance,
    Phillip

You have financial experience so I would contact banks and companies developing software trading instruments for banks. I was IT Manager for a foreign exchange trading app development house in 2001. Consider a move as I hear DC is government and military complex type work.
  • Options
    Believe me, I know all about this tough DC market. My wife and I are willing and prepared to move wherever we need to go. But, it would be nice to get a start in our hometown.
  • Options
    AvidNetworkerAvidNetworker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately it just seems to take a lot of work. I have 12+ years in IT, including light network experience in the course of my job duties, and want to get into a direct network job, and it is still a battle. I live in a pretty hot market here in DFW Texas, but the truth is, CCNA's are pretty common, much less CCENT, so you really need something that sets you apart. As others have suggested, a programming language that is often requested wouldn't hurt.

I think the key though is human networking. I have much more faith that I will eventually find the job I am looking for through a professional connection / friend, than I ever will spamming monster/careerbuilder/dice. I have a pretty good IT resume and track record, have my CCNA, programming experience is in C++ which seems to be mostly dead, but yeah, you just have to keep pushing.

Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a bummer you don't have a clearance/DoD/Military experience. With a degree and a clearance, you are pretty much guaranteed an IT job around here. To be honest, I would get your certs, you already have 'a' degree, and start applying. Heck they may start you off at the layer 1 level somewhere. Can always work your way up internally after that.

Tons of IT jobs around here, but most require a clearance like I said.
  • Options
    Dave88LX wrote: »
    It's a bummer you don't have a clearance/DoD/Military experience. With a degree and a clearance, you are pretty much guaranteed an IT job around here. To be honest, I would get your certs, you already have 'a' degree, and start applying. Heck they may start you off at the layer 1 level somewhere. Can always work your way up internally after that.

Tons of IT jobs around here, but most require a clearance like I said.

I know. That's the frustrating part. I'll do ANYTHING just to get in the door. I will answer phones, be a grunt, whatever! I just need to get an opportunity. Hell, I've been a computer junky since the 80s starting with my trusty Commodore VIC-20. I know how to troubleshoot. Been doing it all my life. My brother, who barely graduated high school, moved into IT from being a construction worker about 6 years ago with ZERO computing experience and now makes six figures. Even now, I know more about fixing computers than he does. What am I doing wrong? I was a friggin' straight A student. It's killing me.
  • Options
    Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, you need to just keep pushing, but be patient. Also, make sure your resume highlights your strengths in relation to networking. The best way I found to get my resume fixed up was have a recruiter tear it apart for me, they know what catches employers eyes. If pay and exact job aren't the major priorities for you right now, I would definitely hook up with a couple of recruiters, and see if they can find you something. Main thing is start making connections with people in the industry, or people connected to it.
  • Options
    Yep, I hear you. Right now, I'm focusing on getting at least the CCNA and then I was going to approach some industry recruiters. I've already started to reconfigure my "finance" resume to highlight more of the tech-centric skills that I've developed over the years. But, I at least want to have the CCNA so the recruiter will know I am serious. I plan on getting the CCNA by April and then test the waters.

I sure appreciate being able to come here and vent a little and get some encouragement. One day, I hope to be in a position to do the same for another upstart newbie to the playing field.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I know. That's the frustrating part. I'll do ANYTHING just to get in the door. I will answer phones, be a grunt, whatever! I just need to get an opportunity. Hell, I've been a computer junky since the 80s starting with my trusty Commodore VIC-20. I know how to troubleshoot. Been doing it all my life. My brother, who barely graduated high school, moved into IT from being a construction worker about 6 years ago with ZERO computing experience and now makes six figures. Even now, I know more about fixing computers than he does. What am I doing wrong? I was a friggin' straight A student. It's killing me.

Lots of people working in IT have been playing with computers since the 80's. One of the problems is lack of mobility within the ranks as many people have plateaued in the midrange and are not going anywhere fast so we have a lot of people stuck in the lower level areas. I would say try the solutions providers, partners and service providers in your area. These typically have plenty of work to do and overtime give the amount of outsourcing going on. They may give you a start. It's good you are prepared to do grunt work because that is most likely waiting for you, but you can move on from that if you are determined. The IT industry lit up like a Christmas tree in the late nineties so back then you would have had an easier time of it breaking in, but it can still be done. Good luck!
  • Options
    Good point. When I broke into the tech sector in the 90's, my job interview was at a fortune 500 company, and basically the only question was "do you know how to fix modems?" By fix, they meant they simply didn't know how to configure them to dial out. That is how big the divide was between the then current management, and kids like me who could make those modems sing. I had a nice office and a decent paycheck for then knowing what is comparable to maybe understanding how to connect a wifi router today. Of course I knew plenty more than just how to configure modems, but the point is, that one skill got me a job that ended up providing me with skills for a lifetime as technology grew.

Bottom line is those scenarios really don't really exist anymore. As technology has become more pervasive in everyday life, most people working have a basic understanding of the technology they are using, so it is much harder to offer something to the average company. Also, as said, the people in our age group who grew up loving computers are now a dime a dozen, and most of them are mid-career by now, and in reality are dinosaurs, because the kids coming out of college and in their mid 20's have never really known a world without computers being pervasive in their life.
  • Options
    Yep, another reason I am seriously considering adding VisualBasic programming to my repertoire. I KNOW there is demand for finance guys who can code. When I was working in NYC and LA, there were programmers and there were financial guys. But, never the twain shall meet. That was always the Holy Grail. Programmers could never pinpoint exactly what we finance guys were looking for in terms of investment tools. On the other hand, the finance guys were always wishing they had the expertise to make programs to enhance their investment strategies. We're starting to see more programmers go back and take business and finance courses or get MBA's to try to cash in on all those Wall Street bonuses. I'm kind of coming from the other end.

My thing is that I understand how those Wall Street firms work from both an operational view and investment view. From my days in venture capital, I know how businesses in general operate and have experience with startups. I know all about budgeting, deliverables, assembling teams, raising capital, process improvement, etc. If I can add the technical depth of IT and couple that with my expert business acumen, I'm hoping that will be attractive to IT consulting firms whose clients have the technical expertise, but not necessarily the business expertise (or vice versa), to make their companies thrive.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,
    Phillip

You might be able to get a help desk job in the banking industry. I have seen a few banks that are looking for someone with a banking or financial experience/background. You could use your financial background in your favor. Other than that, I suggest posting your resume here for reveiw, and then update it. After you update your resume post it on career builder, monster .com , and Dice. You should look for jobs on craigs list and jobs indeed. Try appling for these jobs too.. Also, try volunteering at companies to gain experience. Good Luck!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Good point. When I broke into the tech sector in the 90's, my job interview was at a fortune 500 company, and basically the only question was "do you know how to fix modems?" By fix, they meant they simply didn't know how to configure them to dial out. That is how big the divide was between the then current management, and kids like me who could make those modems sing. I had a nice office and a decent paycheck for then knowing what is comparable to maybe understanding how to connect a wifi router today. Of course I knew plenty more than just how to configure modems, but the point is, that one skill got me a job that ended up providing me with skills for a lifetime as technology grew.

Bottom line is those scenarios really don't really exist anymore. As technology has become more pervasive in everyday life, most people working have a basic understanding of the technology they are using, so it is much harder to offer something to the average company. Also, as said, the people in our age group who grew up loving computers are now a dime a dozen, and most of them are mid-career by now, and in reality are dinosaurs, because the kids coming out of college and in their mid 20's have never really known a world without computers being pervasive in their life.

Yeah thats right. No one is impressed that you 'are really good with computers these days'. You cant write your own ticket today. Those that got in 10+ years ago are either still advancing, dropped out of IT completely, or hogging the medium salary jobs. I moved on up helping myself and making space for the youngsters. I feel sorry for the kids coming through today in that respect.