Options

Asking the boss for more $$$!?!?

BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
What's up everyone!?!?!?

Well, here is my question (if you don't know by now by reading the title of this topic). I just received my A+ this past Friday. I currently work as a Systems Support Analyst with almost 6 years of experience for a major healthcare company and a lot of my co-workers are telling that since I am now certified I should approach my boss and ask them (him & her) for an increase in salary.

Now...I make pretty good money (I'm not complaining) but who wouldn't mind making more!?!? My question is...can I talk to my boss about an increase in my salary when my department just got our yearly raises (even though I'm not happy about the raises) last week? And if I can, how do I approach him & her about this? I know the increase (should I miraculously get one) is going to be anything enormous but anything would help out.

Has anyone out there done this in where they've asked for a raise once they got a certification? If so, did you get it?

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!?!?!?! icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't ask for a raise in this situation...having just gotten annual raises and the fact that it's only the A+ cert...

BTW, I'm not saying that your A+ is worthless, it most certainly isn't. I just don't think that it alone warrants asking for a raise, but then again, I don't suppose it could hurt to ask.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    bigo1120 wrote:
    .....My question is...can I talk to my boss about an increase in my salary when my department just got our yearly raises (even though I'm not happy about the raises) last week? And if I can, how do I approach him & her about this? I know the increase (should I miraculously get one) is going to be anything enormous but anything would help out.

Has anyone out there done this in where they've asked for a raise once they got a certification? If so, did you get it?

First, Congratulations on your certification!

Second, I agree with /usr 100%. I wouldn't think this warrants a raise, though it is worth mentioning and/or providing a copy of your certificate because it will validate your current skill-set.

Here is what I'd consider (let me preface my comments with; I'm a bit conservative on the job end and really think the employee needs to prove actual worth and justify income contribution to a company's bottom line).

First, this will help you if not today, but down the road. I view a job like the stock market. Sometimes the investment is for the long-haul and the payoff will be worth it.

By achieving your A+ you have provided your employer a way to back up what they may already know about your skill. Give them more confidence and between you and another equal candidate may give you an edge.

Your certificate, if not mandatory to stay employed there, shows you have the desire to learn, continue to learn, and improve their investment in you. Once folks achieve the A+, they generally look at a NET+ which is also a good certification to hold.

If you are in a position to grow within your company, you'll be in their minds should something open up. Many times companies need a person who can do a job that requires someone with experience, but they are unable to pay for a fully experienced person, but may wish to further invest into an employee who shows initiative.

Don't hound, be persistent, and show them your goals. What did you hope to achieve by gaining an A+? If it isn't a requirement of your position/company, will they view it as a threat and think you will be leaving them?

In the long term, you may need to acquire all the knowledge you can from your current situation and eventually trade up to a new company.

If you can show you are able to provide more value in your current position (dollars in vs. dollars out) they may be able to justify a pay increase. If your certification at this point just means you are able to do the current job - it's a good investment for you further down the road.

Either way, you will benefit. It may not be a financial benefit today is all.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I wouldn't ask for a raise b/c its only A+. I would work hard on my MCSA & let them "bosses" know your working hard on it. Ask for a raise after MCSA. I have never asked for a raise after a cert. I think CCNP, CCIE, MCSA & MCSE deserves raises.
  • Options
    hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ask for raise if the company need you( can't replace you ).

and make sure your boss don't know A+ is not that difficult icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think you should ask after adding N+ b/c u hav earned 2 certs on your own time. then afterwards i would ask about my employer paying at least for a book and 1 test voucher toward newer certs i'm working on if its apart of the technology in place in the office. after getting something like a CCNA or MSCA i definetely would expect one and if i didn't see any i would look else where( but i would have looked before i asked to make sure i had another offer on the table) icon_wink.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    sxiboysxiboy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agree with keenan and plantwiz

I would definately mention it to them and maybe ask your boss to pay for a future cert but I wouldn't ask for a raise... YET. Maybe after Net+, CCNA or something similar.

I passed A+ yesterday and like everyone says- you gota start somewhere... icon_wink.gif

Your pretty lucky to have a well paid job.. I'm finding it difficult to get my foot in the door, hence the reason I'm working for myself.
  • Options
    Hey everyone!!!

I'm planning on taking the Network+ exam (and passing it) in late May. Once I do get it I will have my A+ and Network+ certs under my belt. My question is how can I approach my manager & supervisor in regards to getting a raise on my salary? It's annoying when they hire someone and you train them and they're making more money then you.

Any advice would be greatful because the first time I approached my manager and supervisor about this they told me that I would have to present a strong case as to how the certification would benefit the department. I took your advice and decided to not present a case until I at least got my Network+ cert also.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Hmm. I guess asking for a raise after your A+ didn't go well. You have to ask yourself a few questions like:
    Where do I fall in the company pay scale?
    Do the new hires have higher education and cert levels required for higher pay?
    Does my boss like my work ethic and production?

If you answered no, low and yes then arrange a meeting and speak your mind. Avoid things like, I'm better then Joe, and I work harder then Sally. Just stick to your positive points and avoid comparing yourself to others.

Be warned whenever I get asked for a raise out of sequence I break out the personel folder and debate against any mid term raises.
  • Options
    fondue wrote:
    Hmm. I guess asking for a raise after your A+ didn't go well. You have to ask yourself a few questions like:
    Where do I fall in the company pay scale?
    Do the new hires have higher education and cert levels required for higher pay?
    Does my boss like my work ethic and production?

If you answered no, low and yes then arrange a meeting and speak your mind. Avoid things like, I'm better then Joe, and I work harder then Sally. Just stick to your positive points and avoid comparing yourself to others.

Be warned whenever I get asked for a raise out of sequence I break out the personel folder and debate against any mid term raises.

Oh no! They didn't shoot me down right away. They told me that if I really wanted to pursue this raise I would need to present them a strong case as to how obtaining an A+ certification would benefit my current position. My boss (as well as my fellow TechExamies) recommended that I go for my Network+ so that I have a better shot at the raise that I'm asking for.

I planning to take the Network+ exam in 4 weeks.
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hang the cert on the wall. when he ask what it is, there is your chance to inform him how hard you are working to keep ontop of the IT world ;)
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I honestly think YOU know when to ask the boss for more money. When you feel over worked, when you actually have full confidence in your position & role, when you feel you know your job inside & out.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Agreed.

I don't think obtaining a certification, or multiple certifications, is enough to justify a raise, nless those certifications directly relate to the work you're doing and allow you to perform your job easier. Even then, I would say that you have to get to the point where you're able to perform your job with relative ease, after you have applied your knowledge to real world scenarios.

For example, I wouldn't even ask for a raise after I received my MCSA. Not until I had a little experience actually applying the knowledge I learned.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    I'd go with something like, you spent the last 3 months of your free time, and about 1000 of your own money on books and taking the exam to prove that you are well qualified for the job you do.

If you get CCNA or something though, you can pull out statistics, saying XX amount of people fail, etc..

and ask... How are newer people that you train getting paid more then you icon_confused.gif:
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    spfdz wrote:
    and ask... How are newer people that you train getting paid more then you icon_confused.gif:

That's what I'd like to F%^$#@!* know icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    Hey guys!

I know I started this post back in March but now that I have both my A+ and my Network+ should I pursue my quest in getting a raise again? I think that ball falls in my court considering the fact that I now have 2 certifications that I've pursued on my own AND I'm getting married.

PLEASE...your thoughts!

bowing.gif
  • Options
    NoodsNoods Member Posts: 168
    I think your strongest argument here is that your trainees are making more then you. You have put forth effort not only to pass along knowledge to other employees, but you have worked to expand your knowledge in your role through learning inside and outside of the workplace.

I agree with you solely based on the fact that you are making less then the people you have trained. People should be paid based on the work they put into a company, not how much they do/do not have to pay you. Your efforts speak more loudly then your certifications do.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    I would not even bring up the subject, I would wait until I have a higher credential and then look for an internal position that has a higher pay scale. In that way, Ive been with the company X amount of years and have proven to them I am dedicated worker.
    What next?
  • Options
    dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd dust of the resume, tweak it in too reflect my current skills, education and certifications and start fishing for a new job that pays better. Nothin ever got me a raise faster than a letter of resignation with the explanation that the new opportunity pays more. Let market forces define the issue I would think NJ has plenty of other opportunities. Dont bluff you might find your butt in the unemployment line.