Options

Win 2K8 or 2K8:R2??

Is it recommened in using R2 for MCITP Labs, or is there any benefit between the two? or will 2008 suffice?

I ask as my servers are x86 and R2, from what i can find, is x64 only.. i'd like to be able to continue using my equipment without having to upgrade servers.

Also would one server/PC running 2K8 with a VM host or two be enough for labs for the MCITP:EA/SA?

Any tips/info is greatly appreciated fellow TE'ers! icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    The MCTIP:EA and SA exams are all R2 now so it's essential to know it well. Just playing around with the original 2008 alone isn't recommended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    Is it recommened in using R2 for MCITP Labs, or is there any benefit between the two? or will 2008 suffice?

If you are just starting to study then R2 is recommended since all exams now are R2 based and there are few changes between 2008 and R2 and a lot of terms have changed.

Funny thing is that books didn't relflect this so far also MS is planning to puplish the new books soon.

Check out this link for release dates

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/63095-release-dates-ms-press-books-r2-content.html

I ask as my servers are x86 and R2, from what i can find, is x64 only.. i'd like to be able to continue using my equipment without having to upgrade servers.

Well I'm afraid you will have to eventually.
    Also would one server/PC running 2K8 with a VM host or two be enough for labs for the MCITP:EA/SA?

Any tips/info is greatly appreciated fellow TE'ers! icon_thumright.gif

I don't think so, you will need at least 4 machines running for some labs. Have you bought the books already? I recommend you take a look at Sybex books in addition to MS. As for the server try to put as much RAM as you can (8GB is recommended). Good luck to you
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    @za3bour.

Thanks for your reply, great info. I'm yet to purchase the books, but i'll keep the Sybex ones in mind. I'll more than likely start these towards the middle of the year when i have some more spare time.

When you said have at least 4 machines running, is that host systems with the domain controller, or a DC and 4 hosts?

I've decided to forgo the x86 and just build x64 desktops capable of running all of this in VMware, so ill just have 2 machines running, both hosting 2K8: R2 and both having 2 VM's of Win7 x64 each, all connected to a private VLAN in one of my CCNA switches. This sould be fine i assume?

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When you have the 4 VMs they usually include DCs and member servers (all R2) since you're waiting til later to do these you should probably wait to get the nhew books http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/63095-release-dates-ms-press-books-r2-content.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Cool thanks! Yeah i've read a little about the new release of MS books so ill be keeping an eye out for them.

Thanks for the help.