Options

ROAS problem

impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
After watching the CBT nuggets, I decided to do some ROAS and setup my lab as follows.

PC1 (the laptop) config : (connected to switch via fa0/8 port)

IP :192.168.5.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.5.1

PC2 config (connected to switch via fa0/18 port)

IP :192.168.10.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.10.1

Switch (2950T) config

fa0/8 assigned to vlan 5
fa0/18 assigned to vlan 10
fa0/21 port was made a trunking port.

Router (1721) config (connected to switch via fa0/21 port)

int fa0
no shut

int fa0.5
encapsulation dot1q 5
ip add 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

int fa0.10
encapsulation dot1q 10
ip add 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0

So basically PC1 can ping its default gateway, PC2's default gateway, PC2's IP address. PC2 can ping its default gateway, PC1's Default Gateway BUT not PC1's IP address.

The strange thing is I emulate the exact same setup in packet tracer and it's working so I am really lost as to the cause of PC2 not being able to ping PC1's IP address in my lab setup (although it worked in packet tracer.)

Comments

• Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    im completely stumped to lol. everything looks good (from a beginners perspective )

normally in packet tracer i go to the pc and double check i didnt mis type an ip address for the pc 1 host seems sometimes i mix things up. it has to have something to do with pc 1's config if you can ping everywhere else shouldnt it ?

that narrows it down abit. but yeh im stumped

be interested to see if you work it out, id be keen to find out why it wasnt working.

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    impz wrote: »
    So basically PC1 can ping its default gateway, PC2's default gateway, PC2's IP address. PC2 can ping its default gateway, PC1's Default Gateway BUT not PC1's IP address.
    So PC1 can ping PC2 AND get the reply back from PC2, but PC2 can't ping PC1?

Usually it's a firewall issue. Check PC1's firewall.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    So PC1 can ping PC2 AND get the reply back from PC2, but PC2 can't ping PC1?

Usually it's a firewall issue. Check PC1's firewall.

I was thinking that too but I kinda doubt it cause I'm not using any firewall...well except for the one that comes with windows.

If I put them back to defaut vlan and set the appropriate IP address (in the same subnet), both of the PC's could ping successfully to each other.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If PC1 can ping PC2 then you have end to end network connectivity as Mike pointed out. The built in firewall is probably only allowing local pings which is why they ping on the same subnet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    If PC1 can ping PC2 then you have end to end network connectivity as Mike pointed out. The built in firewall is probably only allowing local pings which is why they ping on the same subnet.

Hmm I'll try turning off windows firewall and see how that goes.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    impz wrote: »
    I was thinking that too but I kinda doubt it cause I'm not using any firewall...well except for the one that comes with windows.

If I put them back to defaut vlan and set the appropriate IP address (in the same subnet), both of the PC's could ping successfully to each other.

It should go without saying, but Windows Firewall IS a firewall. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    today, I redid the lab but this time turning windows firewall off and everything worked like a charm. so yeh windows firewall rocks :D