Options

70-680 possible to pass as first certification? HELP**

Hello all, I've been fortunate to obtain all of the materials to pass 70-680 but I am wondering if I can do it as my first cert,

Materials:

Microsoft Book
Labsim 70-680
CBT Nuggets Training Videos

I've been looking to break into I.T for a long time but haven't been able to focus (Diagnosed with ADD shortly ago) and now that i'm on medication I feel confident again,

Am I over my head though? I have a lot of common knowledge on OS and building, repairing, upgrading, and a little trouble shooting knowledge.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Also, if you do not reccomend, which cert or method would you suggest? I'm looking to break my foot in the door somewhere (I'm only a college student), and I'm tired working as a server.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hello all, I've been fortunate to obtain all of the materials to pass 70-680 but I am wondering if I can do it as my first cert,

Materials:

Microsoft Book
    Labsim 70-680

I've been looking to break into I.T for a long time but haven't been able to focus (Diagnosed with ADD shortly ago) and now that i'm on medication I feel confident again,

Am I over my head though? I have a lot of common knowledge on OS and building, repairing, upgrading, and a little trouble shooting knowledge.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Also, if you do not reccomend, which cert or method would you suggest? I'm looking to break my foot in the door somewhere (I'm only a college student), and I'm tired working as a server.

Yes, it's possible. There was a thread by a lady on the WGU communities who stated she was completely new to IT and that this was her first cert exam, and she passed it on the first attempt. She use the MSPress / Labsim resources and basically just took her time and studied appropriately.

Obviously one anecdotal case doesn't apply to everyone, but I have no doubt if one puts the time and effort into it that it can be done. As long as you lab the things you're studying and get a hands-on knowledge of the information being presented, you can do it.

I just began preparing for this exam myself, and while I do not underestimate its difficulty, I refuse to let myself be intimidated by the material. I am taking it slowly, verifying retention of the pertinent information, and trying to cover some ground every day, no matter how small.

Good luck.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, I read that one too.....

I do have a theory about why that is.

If you have never worked in IT, then you can learn "the Microsoft way" (as opposed to the "Real World" way) as intended, and then pass the exams.

However, when techs who have been in the field for x-amount of time (in years), then have to learn "the Microsoft way", it can be a detriment, at times. We have to shut off the real world lessons and focus on the Microsoft lessons in order to pass these exams.....

That is why folks who could not spell IT prior to sitting for these exams can pass. [Assuming they really did study properly, of course...]

Anyone (for the most part) can pass a subject with proper study. A good example of this was the movie Catch Me If You Can. Leonardo DiCaprio's character (as a master check forger) studied for the Bar Exam and passed...with no legal training....I found that to be hilarious.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you have never worked in IT, then you can learn "the Microsoft way" (as opposed to the "Real World" way) as intended, and then pass the exams.

However, when techs who have been in the field for x-amount of time (in years), then have to learn "the Microsoft way", it can be a detriment, at times. We have to shut off the real world lessons and focus on the Microsoft lessons in order to pass these exams......

Just because it's 'Your' way doesn't mean it's the 'Right' way. Empty your cup and you might learn some new things.

Edit - I mean the royal 'You', not you in particular erpadmin

Everyone should learn the Microsoft way as a starter and then have enough understanding of the technology or solution to determine when to deviate from the standard path. Often I visit client sites who have non-standard implementatations for no other reason than 'that's the way we do it'. In many cases we have to push our clients away from the bad habits they developed because 'that's the way they've always done it'.

It's true that windows has features that you may never use. You should learn them if only to understand their limitations. You may not use a Windows server as a router or even ever add a static route to a workstation, but those features have gotten me out of a couple of jams.

680 can be passed as your first MS cert, and it will be the first cert for many. 680 is challenging when compared to the joke of an exam that was the 620 Vista cert. However, compare it to the 270 exam and you should see that it fits as an entry level cert and serves as a good foundation for future MS exams.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Just because it's 'Your' way doesn't mean it's the 'Right' way. Empty your cup and you might learn some new things.

Edit - I mean the royal 'You', not you in particular erpadmin

Thank you for the clarification. Otherwise, I would have most definitely said "I didn't invent the way I administer my servers....." icon_lol.gif

You are 1000% (intentional) correct though, and that's actually what I'll be doing when I (re)start going for the 70-642 (will not be distracted with the other stuff I was studying for). One has to go tabula rasa on that *bleep* to have a good shot at passing.

When you find yourself tuning out of something (because you think you know it), that's when you have to fight harder to watch, learn the material. I am 1000% (intentional) sure that's what will help people (and me) pass this exam and other MS exams.
  • Options
    GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    Thanks guys! In respect to price of the Microsoft Exam's being cheap (For .edu students) it is a major incentive to strive for the certification,

I find it ridiculous to obtain an A+ as i'd be one of the 10294302831904213908 people that have obtained it, I think this would look better generally,

What do you guys think?

Thanks
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it may be agood idea as a first exam. For one thing the CompTIA exams are ridiculously easy compared to MS exams. MS exams take way more study and practice with the product. If you do go back and take the CompTIAs you'll be surprised at how easy they are.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! In respect to price of the Microsoft Exam's being cheap (For .edu students) it is a major incentive to strive for the certification,

I find it ridiculous to obtain an A+ as i'd be one of the 10294302831904213908 people that have obtained it, I think this would look better generally,

What do you guys think?

Thanks

It's not a complete waste of time to do A+ if you're looking for a break into the IT realm. For a desktop support job, I was able to demonstrate A+ knowledge (at the time, that was knowing what IRQs and COM Ports...stuff they're not asking young whipper snappers anymore...lol) without an A+ cert. I ended up getting one (and Network+) because I thought I would be going for my MCSA....I never got to because I landed my current job.

However, a little under 5 years after I got both of my CompTIAs, I was able to shave off $600 per term at WGU via their IT Scholarship. So in that regard, there was value in it....

In the end, A+, Network+ can't hurt at whatever stage of the game you're on.
  • Options
    GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    Would you guys say 70-680 is the easiest certification as far as Microsoft goes and is the most needed for entry level?

Thanks
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Easiest? No, but a great start if you're breaking into the I.T. world.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Materials:

Microsoft Book
    Labsim 70-680

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I found with exam, it helps to take your time. Get the errata threads ahead of time, make the corrections in your M$ book. That way when you read it, you know the material is correct. I read through the book several times, making notes, labbing, and then finishing up with practice exams to gauge my knowledge.