Options

Layer 2 and 3

VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Okay Maybe I need to reread chapter 1 and 2 on the Cybex book. I still dont quite understand the difference of 2 layers. Why some Router is considered layer 2 and some is layer 3? Can anyone point me to a quick web article that explains this?

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Routing is layer 3. Switching is layer 2, but some switches can be a layer 3 - which means it does routing and switching.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you know the layers of the OSI model? Do you know what addresses correspond to those layers?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Definitely refer back to the OSI model, eventually you will have that memorized.

Switches work at layer 2, since switches rely on CAM tables and MAC addresses, to forward the traffic to specific hosts. You can read up on ARP requests and CAM tables for more information.

Routers work at layer 3, since they rely on (ip) routing table to forward traffic. Many routing protocols cover this topic. (You'll get to these later on)

The middle group is a Layer 3 Switch, this is essentially a switch that is capable of routing traffic by IP and not just by layer 2 information (MAC addresses and default gateway)

Note: As you read further the differences will become more apparent, and routers work at Layer 3 not 2.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you know the layers of the OSI model? Do you know what addresses correspond to those layers?

Well I reread the Encapsulation section in Chapter 1. I think I got it now. Thanks for clearing it up guys