Expired Certs on Resume

ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
Just curious how you guys handle putting expired certifications on your resume. Do you keep them on your resume or do you remove them completely? Do you mark them as expired or simply put the date next to it when you got it?

I was thinking something like this..(just an example)

MCSE 2003 (May 2006)
Vs
MCSE 2003 (Expired)

I think listing the date next to the certification looks better than putting "Expired" next to it. I also think its important to note you achieved this at one point in your career because it shows you are willing to learn and pursue a higher education.

Thoughts?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think you should leave it off completely if its expired. You no longer have the certification so you shouldn't be listing it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    The MCSE doesn't expire so I would simply list it:

MCSE NT4, 2000, 2003

In the case of a CCNA, CCNP, etc.....If it's expired I would leave it off, or go renew it. If it's worth listing on your resume, it's worth keeping current.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    I think you should leave it off completely if its expired. You no longer have the certification so you shouldn't be listing it.

You may no longer have a valid certification, but some of the fundamental's that you obtained by getting the certification may still hold strong. If this is the case and if you document that it's expired so you aren't trying to misrepresent yourself I think its still valid to put it on the resume.

I think another random example off the top of my head would be the CCNA. You may have obtained a solid understanding of networking, but no longer remember the syntax to configure a router/ switch. Showing that you got it at one point in your career should show that you are willing to study and if it's important enough to the employer to a valid certification they might send you to training right away to get it updated.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Personally, if I see a cv with an expired cert listed on there (such as CCNA etc) it gets tossed straight away. There are far better things to put on there rather than listing a cert that, technically, you no longer hold. If you want to make reference to a solid understanding of a subject then that should come through in the experience sections instead. I'd much rather read about some different types of project success requiring CCNA level knowledge instead of listing the expired cert. As an example, I did the CCNA and was 1/2 of the way to CCNP *several* years ago but an opportunity presented itself, my career took a different path and it's now been banished from my records. As it happens, I've kinda gone full circle and am required to get my hands dirty on Cisco gear again so I'm currently re-studying for the CCNA (boy how things have moved on :)) and when I earn it it'll be added back.
    xenodamus wrote: »
    If it's worth listing on your resume, it's worth keeping current.
    +1

I couldn't agree more with xenodamus. The MCSE doesn't technically expire, so if the job you are applying for requires Windows 2003 skills then by all means put it on there but if the role requires a CCNP and the last version 'you' did pre-dates the discovery of fire then it simply has no place on there.

I don't mean to come across in a negative manner, but adding an expired cert to a resume just makes it seem like you've not got anything better or more meaningful to say. Just my tuppence worth mind.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Zaits wrote: »
    You may no longer have a valid certification, but some of the fundamental's that you obtained by getting the certification may still hold strong. If this is the case and if you document that it's expired so you aren't trying to misrepresent yourself I think its still valid to put it on the resume.

I think another random example off the top of my head would be the CCNA. You may have obtained a solid understanding of networking, but no longer remember the syntax to configure a router/ switch. Showing that you got it at one point in your career should show that you are willing to study and if it's important enough to the employer to a valid certification they might send you to training right away to get it updated.

Hey, everyone has their own opinion and there is no right or wrong on a resume. I just feel if you don't have a qualification don't list it on your resume. Pretty cut and dry.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Thanks guys for your feedback and in no way do I feel you guys are coming across as negative. I just wanted to be sure I'm explaining myself clearly and not trying to "misrepresent" myself. I'm not applying for any job, I just noticed my CCNA is about to expire this May and was wondering how I should go about re-arranging my resume.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks guys for your feedback and in no way do I feel you guys are coming across as negative. I just wanted to be sure I'm explaining myself clearly and not trying to "misrepresent" myself. I'm not applying for any job, I just noticed my CCNA is about to expire this May and was wondering how I should go about re-arranging my resume.

Thats easy, just renew the CCNA before then and you're good to go icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bertieb wrote: »
    if I see a cv with an expired cert listed on there (such as CCNA etc) it gets tossed straight away.
    We flag the job candidate so that their resumes stop popping up when we do a search for candidates who have that certification -- and we don't waste any more time on them or any of their future resumes unless all their contact information changes (address, phone, email) so they look like a new job candidate.

Even if they regain their certification(s) over the next year and submit an updated resume we'll also have thousands of new candidates to consider who haven't wasted our time in the past, so the odds of us every running a search against the do not search group is small to nonexistant.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Biggest benefit for Cisco certifications if they are expired is to put them on your resume with the valid date range.

CCNA (Jan 2008 - Jan 2010)

for example, so it shows that you were once CCNA and could easily obtain the certification again if needed.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    We flag the job candidate so that their resumes stop popping up when we do a search for candidates who have that certification -- and we don't waste any more time on them or any of their future resumes unless all their contact information changes (address, phone, email) so they look like a new job candidate.

I'm surprised at such a strong reaction. However I can appreciate the hirer's POV and am glad that I read this.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mgeorge wrote: »
    Biggest benefit for Cisco certifications if they are expired is to put them on your resume with the valid date range.

CCNA (Jan 2008 - Jan 2010)

for example, so it shows that you were once CCNA and could easily obtain the certification again if needed.

That is what I have done in the past. Although, in my case, CCNA (April 2001 - April 2004) looked OK in 2006 when I landed my current job, but doesn't look all that great in 2011... so I'll probably take it out during my next resume update since I have barely touched a production router in 8 or 9 years.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I look at it like this: if I used to have a CDL (commercial driver's license), and it's expired, or revoked for some reason, and I apply for a job as a truck driver, do you think they're going to give me the time of day? Sure, I know HOW to drive a truck, the fact that I don't hold a valid license anymore didn't change that. But, that doesn't change the fact that my license is no longer valid, or relevant.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A CCNA isn't REQUIRED to be allowed to work on a network. Apples and oranges.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□

I think this is a great way to go about it. Don't mislead potential employers about certifications you no longer hold, but showing them that you are willing and can obtain those certifications definitely go a long way in allowing them to gauge your knowledge of the material.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would personally remove an expired cert. If I were job seeking and had, for example, a CCNA set to expire inthe near future I would list the date of it as that would invite into the interview conversation the possibillity of the future employer helping with study materials and/or exam vouchers.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.