Options

vlan question

Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
I'm having some trouble setting up vlans on my switches and I'm not 100% sure why... I have 3 2950 switches, with switch 1 being the vtp server and 2 & 3 being clients. When I bring vlan 2 up on switch 2 or 3, I get this message:
Switch2(config-if)#int vlan 1
Switch2(config-if)#no shut
Switch2(config-if)#
02:16:29: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan1, changed state to up
Switch2(config-if)#
02:16:29: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan2, changed state to administratively down
02:16:30: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to up
02:16:30: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, changed state to down
Switch2(config-if)#

So basically, I bring vlan 2 up and it shuts vlan 1 down and then when I bring vlan 1 up it shuts down vlan 2. I'm confused confused.png

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think your confusion comes from not knowing the difference between a VLAN and an SVI. You aren't actually shutting/no shutting the VLAN itself. On a 2950 you can only have one SVI up at a time. This is used only for management of the switch.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Do you know why on switch one the vlan would show act/lshut?
    Switch1#show vlan br

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
    ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
    1    default                          active    Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4
                                                    Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8
                                                    Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/12, Fa0/13
                                                    Fa0/14, Fa0/15, Fa0/16, Fa0/17
                                                    Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20, Fa0/21
                                                    Fa0/22, Fa0/24, Gi0/1, Gi0/2
    2    L-vlan                      act/lshut Fa0/11
    3    VLAN0003                         active
    4    K-vlan                     active
    1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup
    1003 trcrf-default                    act/unsup
    1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup
    1005 trbrf-default                    act/unsup

And the fa0/11 int on switch1 is orange, but when I put it back in vlan1 it goes green
  • Options
    That is if you shutdown the VLAN itself.
    configure terminal
    vlan 2
    shutdown

Which is different than shutting down an SVI.
    configure terminal
    interface vlan 2 
    shutdown

• Options
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... nice.. so I think I understand now. I got that before but now I guess I just got confused about it. I think it's because i'm just used to typing "int" before it. I have to remember that the actual vlan isn't an interface, but that you can have an interface a vlan, but only one per switch. This is in order to have telnet/ssh access to the switch, right?
  • Options
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... nice.. so I think I understand now. I got that before but now I guess I just got confused about it. I think it's because i'm just used to typing "int" before it. I have to remember that the actual vlan isn't an interface, but that you can have an interface a vlan, but only one per switch. This is in order to have telnet/ssh access to the switch, right?

Correct. Unless the switch is L3 it can have multiple SVIs up for routing between them. Think of the SVIs as the subinterfaces if you were doing ROAS with an external router.
  • Options
    Sweet! Thanks for your help!