Options

Would it be detrimental to accept entry level position over full time to finish BS:CS

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a really good chance of getting an entry level Help Desk position. I spoke with the employer and he told me to keep in contact and to finish A+ and Security+ first. I am also a student who has finished the associates of science in Computer Science. The plan WAS to continue onto the B.S CS however things seem to have changed since my dad passed about a year and a half ago. And by change I mean my progress toward the BS (Upper to years) has been extremely slow. I have no money to even take classes. The plan was to take some loans out. However this entry level position could possibly lead to a much better paying job than what i have now over time. Would you guys say its a mistake to take the full time job position over finishing the B.S? Who says I'll even be able to find a job after finishing with the B.S degree? I'm sure my dad would want me to realize things have changed since he is no longer here and ultimately the decision is mine. But I really see this position as a way into the industry. I told the employer in about two months I'd be finished with Sec+, A+, CCNA, and the active directory exam for MCITP. He told me that is exactly what he needs.
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take the job. Experience is what is going to get you bucks, and it sounds like you may need the money just to pay for school. Work on your degree part time on the side. Don't let your degree slip away. It isn't valuable to everyone, but some of the highest paying companies are going to want to see it. Stay away from loans if possible, but if you need them to get your degree finished then take them.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Why don't you do what me and thousands of other people do, work full time and do your Degree part-time (or distance learning) in the evenings and/or weekend?

You gain the experience that employers want, coupled with the degree that you want :)

-Ken
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Why don't you do what me and thousands of other people do, work full time and do your Degree part-time (or distance learning) in the evenings and/or weekend?

You gain the experience that employers want, coupled with the degree that you want :)

-Ken

This. Take the experience now. You don't have the bachelor's yet, but you do have a degree. Who knows... maybe this new company offers tuition assistance? Chip away at it part time, by the time you finish the new degree, you'll have several years of experience and be in good shape.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Thanks guys! I was thinking, man, what a bummer that friends are pretty much done with their bachelors this coming spring and I'm stuck somewhere in the middle. When I say progress on the degree has been slow, I mean it seemed to nearly halt. Also, even while browsing jobs that require bachelors, I am seeing that the employers want it coupled with "5 - 7 years of experience". I was more inclined to take the position, and after reading the few replies, I definitely will work to get it now.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I was thinking, man, what a bummer that friends are pretty much done with their bachelors this coming spring and I'm stuck somewhere in the middle. When I say progress on the degree has been slow, I mean it seemed to nearly halt. Also, even while browsing jobs that require bachelors, I am seeing that the employers want it coupled with "5 - 7 years of experience". I was more inclined to take the position, and after reading the few replies, I definitely will work to get it now.

Take the job!!!!!… I have my associates and it’s hard to get just an entry level IT job. The last job I applied at and interviewed with told me that they had 10 candidates that they were interviewing and next week they would bring in the top 3 or 4 for another round of interviews. The best candidate got the job. This was a small company and the position was entry level tech support. Most employers want experience, even if it’s an entry level position. It’s been my experience they care less about the certs or degree, and more aobut the experience. Certs and degrees seem more like icing on the cake to me.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    peakbagger66peakbagger66 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »

Yep, definitely take the job. The degree will come in time. The job is invaluable experience, especially during these hard times.
    Time was, when I was in school I thought it be the end of the world if I turned down the volume and took 5 years instead of 4. Looking back, it didn't really matter.
    Good luck to you!
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Take the job!!!!!…

+1

I got my AAS in 2006 and went to work. Since then I've more than doubled my initial entry-level salary and make more than some of my friends who finished their BA.

I still plan to finish it one day, but I'm truckin' along just fine without it for now.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    I don't see why you shouldn't especially since a lot of guys get their B.S. just to get their foot into IT. You have a chance to gain experience you can put on your resume without having to do that. The option of finishing school will always be there but the hardest part in IT is just getting your first job.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    A valuable life lesson that I am now learning is to not -completely- depend on someone. This is the case, up until my dad passed about a year and half ago, I was never even worried about getting an IT-related position because he was a Network Operations manager at Verizon and was telling me he was pretty sure he could get me something, I just needed my Bachelors. Well seeing as he's now deceased I'm sure it likely wont happen that way. So the lesson is "DONT DEPEND ON OTHERS!".
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go for the job to build your resume and gain some experience in the field and work on your degree on the side. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ericcumbeeericcumbee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have a BS of Information Technology from a Public Research University, A+ and Sec+ and less than 1 year of work experience.

i am finding i am getting beat out on a constant basis by people with a 2 year AS degree and 2 years of experience.
    Georgia Southern University Class of 2008
    BS of Information Technology- Network Admin
    A+, Security+