Options

How necessary is the certification??

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
My cousin tells me this every time i am studying for the ccna security certification "why are you studying for the certification do you already take it the official course right" Me-" Yes but i think the certification will boost my it career" cousin-"no really with the course its enough"

what do you think?? is true do i need the certification or should leave and move on ??

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    HR teams at employers and recruiters don't search for "Cisco Security Course completion", they search for certifications. Take from that what you will.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    AvidNetworkerAvidNetworker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it is just for your own self fulfillment, maybe he is right, but how would you demonstrate, at least on paper, to someone, that you are proficient with the CCNA material...the certification. I personally wouldn't take any advice from your cousin.
  • Options
    YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it is just for your own self fulfillment, maybe he is right, but how would you demonstrate, at least on paper, to someone, that you are proficient with the CCNA material...the certification. I personally wouldn't take any advice from your cousin.
    I agree :)

+ I hate your cousin icon_lol.gif
    CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
    NEXT : CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    Me and Guy from work went on the official VMWare VCP course. Paid for by work.

The guy I went with slept through the course.

If you pass the exam you cannot sleep through the course.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    what do you think??
    I think you should hang out with a different cousin.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Follow your own path and take the exam. Scanners and HR goons don't look at orrecognize the course, just the cert.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Anybody can take a course... The certification is proof you understand the material since you have been tested on it.

Of course it does really depend on your situation.. But just cause you completed a course don't expect people to consider you expert. Not that getting a certification makes an expert either, you will still need to prove your competence to others in the material.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    My cousin tells me this every time i am studying for the ccna security certification "why are you studying for the certification do you already take it the official course right" Me-" Yes but i think the certification will boost my it career" cousin-"no really with the course its enough"

what do you think?? is true do i need the certification or should leave and move on ??

if you ask for my opinion, im terribly going nuts in these days. Nothing changed
    in my life even though i get certified.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think you should hang out with a different cousin.
    +1 to that lols

On a serious note, most if not all of the job listings I see want the certifications not a "certificate of completion" from some institution.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    ok i gonna take the cert examn next month today i finished the course i have just one extra practice next sunday ips and zbf via CLI i know the exam doesnt ask for CLI zbf just SDM mode but i want learn that (because i hate SDM)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, certs are no magic potion. Even though I a firm believer in certs, my last 3 employers didn't care about any of the ones I had. I am a Windows admin an just finised MCITP:EA in December and my employer couldn't care less. However, having that cert can make the difference between two equally qualified candidates. As stuh84 mentioned, in most places HR is instructed to ask for certs up front and not having it could mean going to the REJECTED pile.

Let's say you don't go for the cert. Think about this: you see your dream job posted somewhere and it requires CCNA. You apply, confident that the experience on your resume speaks by itself. They don't call you. Now you don't know if they hated your resume or said "ah, good resume but no CCNA".

Why take the chance?
  • Options
    AvidNetworkerAvidNetworker Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thedrama wrote: »
    if you ask for my opinion, im terribly going nuts in these days. Nothing changed
    in my life even though i get certified.

What exactly did you expect to happen? People beating down your door to offer you a job? Only you can change your life, the certification only helps a tiny bit.
  • Options
    Dave88LXDave88LX Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your cousin is clueless.

Get the cert.

"I took a bunch of classes in college, but I didn't take my exams or get my degree. But hey, I went to college!"icon_study.gif
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i forgot to say something significant. Even though, certifications will never guarantee a job, stupid human resources eliminate candidates by
    looking at these even he or she does not have any idea about your level of
    knowledge. Ah, kill that idiot.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)