Options

setting virtual lab for MCITP:SA

marcins78marcins78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally I am looking to work towards MCITP: SA and I would like to have a lab to go along with the studies. I will be using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on dual core Intel E8400 with 8 GB of ram running latest VMware workstation (I’m VCP4 certified so I get it for free).
Will 8GB of ram be enough to run all required VMs at the same time? Is there any specific networking setup required that would force me to have two physical systems instead of all on one in VMware? What is the total number of VMs that are needed between the 3 exams? Are all windows servers VMs should be Windows 2008R2?

Thank you for all the information

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    8 GB should do for your RAM to have as many VMs as you need. Since Exams are now R2 you should probably use R2 VMs. I got by using just 2 or 3 VMs (due to not enough RAM) through 640 and 642 but couldn't do a couple of the 640 labs. I forget if it was federated services or Certificate services (or both) that required more. Since the MS press books only cover Server 2008 then you will have to make up extra labs in order to properly study some of the R2 features.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.