InterVLAN routing help

JZegersJZegers Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to setup intervlan routing but my routing knowledge is pretty rusty.

Everything works fine until i try to set it up, it has something to do with the routing protocols/routes since i can get online just fine before i try setting it up.

Router to 3550 switch

Router fa 0/1 ip: 172.16.5.1 Switch fa 0/24 ip: 172.16.5.2

Now, i have configured all my vlan interfaces with ip addresses as well as dhcp. When i move the switchport to the vlan, i can ping the correct gateway for that vlan, can ping the other vlan interfaces, but cannot ping the router?

When i use the no switchport command on switch fa 0/24 i am no longer able to access the internet, but i can ping the router's fa 0/1 interface.

I am sure this is some kind of routing problem, any tips/help?

Comments

• MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Have you setup a default route to the router? (i.e. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.5.1) Once you configure fa0/24 as a routed interface, the switch needs to know where to send internet traffic...
  • tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    JZegers wrote: »
    I am trying to setup intervlan routing but my routing knowledge is pretty rusty.

Everything works fine until i try to set it up, it has something to do with the routing protocols/routes since i can get online just fine before i try setting it up.

Router to 3550 switch

Router fa 0/1 ip: 172.16.5.1 Switch fa 0/24 ip: 172.16.5.2

Now, i have configured all my vlan interfaces with ip addresses as well as dhcp. When i move the switchport to the vlan, i can ping the correct gateway for that vlan, can ping the other vlan interfaces, but cannot ping the router?

When i use the no switchport command on switch fa 0/24 i am no longer able to access the internet, but i can ping the router's fa 0/1 interface.

I am sure this is some kind of routing problem, any tips/help?

have you got routing configured properly (either static or dynamic), your icmp echoes sent from your hosts (assuming the hosts are on a different subnet) are probably reaching R1 fa0/1 but the replies are not coming back to your host because there is no route back to your host's subnet. you need to configure static routes/dynamic routes for the icmp replies to come back to your host
    Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the switch
    (config)# ip default-gateway 172.16.5.1
  • JZegersJZegers Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I figured this out, was a combo of a nat statement issue (was only natting 172.16.0.0 0.0.0.255 instead of 0.0.255.255) and little routing issues