Options

SNRS eligibility for CCNP:Security

ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hi guys and gals,

The text part of Cisco's CCNP:Security FAQ suggests that SNRS would be eligible for CCNP:Security beyond Oct 14, 2011. What confuses me, however, is that the table header reads "Table 2. Valid path for the CCNP Security program, from November 10, 2010, to October 14, 2011". Could someone please clarify which one is correct?

Also, judging by the exam objectives, it seems the new SECURE exam is harder than SNRS, as it includes everything from SNRS + design & troubleshoot sections - what do you think?

I'm planning to attempt IINS in a week or two, and contemplating taking SNRS at the end of March, rather than doing SECURE later on, hence the questions
“You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
- discounted vouchers for certs

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    November 10, 2010 was the date that they officially firmed up the CCSP to CCNP Security migration path. October 14, 2011 is the last date to complete the CCSP track.

The SECURE exam is merely the next version of the SNRS exam. The SNRS exam has covered more material with each revision, which is normal, and that is the same thing with the update to SECURE.

The IINS and SNRS have significant overlap, so if you are planning on sitting IINS soon, it would be wise to pursue the SNRS. The SECURE exam does not currently have many study materials; the Cisco Press books will be released in the Summer. That being said, the official SNRS study materials are for an older version of the exam. Many individuals use the IINS study materials to make up for the gap, which is another reason to study concurrently.

I passed the IINS earlier this month, and I will be sitting the SNRS exam later today. I will let you know how it goes. I am actually going to pursue all of the existing CCSP exams before they expire. There are pros and cons to each of these, but I need to attain a professional level Cisco cert in the short term and there aren't update study materials for the new exams. However, I do plan on going through all of the CCNP and new CCNP Security exams within the next two years just to keep fresh leading up to CCIE Security studies.

One other item of note is that the IPS exams have a huge gap between them. The IPSv6 exam retires at the end of May. At the moment, I cannot confirm this, but I believe that the IPSv7 exam won't even be available for some time after the IPSv6 exam is retired. If anyone has a link to verify or dispute that, please provide.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for your comments! As a matter of fact, it was after reading your other thread on IINS/SNRS that I started looking at the SNRS exam.
    powerfool wrote: »
    November 10, 2010 was the date that they officially firmed up the CCSP to CCNP Security migration path. October 14, 2011 is the last date to complete the CCSP track.
    Right. But would SNRS still be eligible for CCNP:S after Oct 14, 2011?
    The SECURE exam is merely the next version of the SNRS exam. The SNRS exam has covered more material with each revision, which is normal, and that is the same thing with the update to SECURE.

The IINS and SNRS have significant overlap, so if you are planning on sitting IINS soon, it would be wise to pursue the SNRS. The SECURE exam does not currently have many study materials; the Cisco Press books will be released in the Summer. That being said, the official SNRS study materials are for an older version of the exam. Many individuals use the IINS study materials to make up for the gap, which is another reason to study concurrently.
    Cool, this is what I was wondering about...
    I am actually going to pursue all of the existing CCSP exams before they expire. There are pros and cons to each of these, but I need to attain a professional level Cisco cert in the short term and there aren't update study materials for the new exams. However, I do plan on going through all of the CCNP and new CCNP Security exams within the next two years just to keep fresh leading up to CCIE Security studies.
    Good luck with your CCSP track!
    One other item of note is that the IPS exams have a huge gap between them. The IPSv6 exam retires at the end of May. At the moment, I cannot confirm this, but I believe that the IPSv7 exam won't even be available for some time after the IPSv6 exam is retired.
    Good to know, although in my case, there is no urgency to complete the track. CCSP (or CCNP:S) is on my roadmap mainly for recertification purposes - I'm a sysadmin, so (a) Cisco is only a small part of my world, (b) there is relatively little added value in going from CCNA to CCxP, they only want you to be "Cisco-certified"...
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs