Options

What a Network Manager Wants to Hear you say in an Interview

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Interesting link for wannabees looking for a job

What a Network Manager Wants to Hear You Say in an Interview

Has a downer on certs even though certified. While the tests may be worthless in the eyes of the author, he forgets to recognise that what someone could potentially learn during the study process may actually be valuable.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Looks more like a rant about the problems with the education system rather than what what a network manager wants to hear. There's a few helpful tips in there but you have to dig them out and you can probably find them on your standard how to interview site. I'd also have to disagree with him on his last point. It sounded more like his issue was with peoples' attitudes about thinking their way is the right way. It didn't really seem to be about philosophies either. If you've got a solution to a manager's problem and you've put in the research to debate it then you're better off bringing it up. If you didn't put in the research then just keep quiet and prepare better for your next interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote: »
    Looks more like a rant about the problems with the education system rather than what what a network manager wants to hear. There's a few helpful tips in there but you have to dig them out and you can probably find them on your standard how to interview site. I'd also have to disagree with him on his last point. It sounded more like his issue was with peoples' attitudes about thinking their way is the right way. It didn't really seem to be about philosophies either. If you've got a solution to a manager's problem and you've put in the research to debate it then you're better off bringing it up. If you didn't put in the research then just keep quiet and prepare better for your next interview.

Yup, although folks like this are doing the hiring. A landmine in itself for candidates. It's apparent that he feels strongly about things! May be much of it about so interviewees beware.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with him about the certifications in some ways. As a holder of a number of them myself, I don't necessarily qualify myself based on how my alphabet soup looks either (although it looks nice on paper). Now I did gain quite a bit of knowledge or filled in some gaps that I had before and studying for these certs has enriched me. On the other hand, most of what I know mainly came from direct applied experience. It's way too easy to forget the material that I managed to pass an exam with unless I reinforce it over time. It's already happening with some areas that I don't work with enough. Frustrating, but true.

Certification exams don't always take into account all the moving parts of a real-world environment where bad configurations are sometimes implemented as stop-gap measures and the infrastructure is composed of an array of different vendor appliances which don't cooperate well. The author of the article is probably just emphasizing the point about individuals ("kids" in this case) who lack any experience while believing that certifications are a guaranteed pass to qualification.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    While I realize this is a rant based on his opinion, I also pull something else from it, you couldn't pay me enough to work for this guy. He's talking about entry level this and entry level that, yet no mention of interviewing folks that have done entry level and want to move out of it. He's got a few good points about dedicating time and hard work into looking for a job and not expecting the moon right out of school, but that's about all I agree with him on.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lot's of opinion and broad sweeping statements made which make not like this article, some good points too though.
  • Options
    ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    He really showed his ignorance in some of the statements he made. While I agree with the majority of his points it just seems this was only created so he could vent.