Options

Cover Letter Dos and Don’ts helpful formatting guide

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Feel free to add to this post/thread, I have included links that I found useful as I learn more about writing cover letters.

Should we have a cover letter “Sticky” thread? Currently, I’m no cover letter writing expert, but I have included some links that I have found useful. Lately I have been using a T-match cover letter format when applying for jobs. This format has helped me get a few interviews. In this economy all jobs seekers need an extra edge and a great cover letter can give us that extra edge.

Why should you send a cover letter?

• Showcases your writing ability
• Sets you apart from other candidates
• Helps introduce you to the employer
• Shows you follow directions, if an employer requests that you must send one when applying for a job.
• Shows the employer why you want to work at their company and why you would be a good fit for their company.

Cover letters Do’s and Don’ts:
Cover Letter DOs and DON’Ts - Careers and Worklife - timesunion.com - Albany NY

Cover Letter Samples
Different cover letters serve different purposes. Are you are applying for a specific opening? Did someone you know referred you to a job or an employer?

Cover Letter Samples | ISEEK

Should you send a cover letter?
When Not to Send a Cover Letter

Given all the reasons to send a cover letter, is it ever a good idea not to? “If the application instructions expressly say not to include a cover letter, or if an online application offers no opportunity, then you can forego the cover letter in these cases,” Atallah says.

Vasquez agrees that you should not send a cover letter when the employer specifically says not to. “This may be a test of your ability to follow directions,” she says.

What if you think the cover letter won’t be read? Corrado says that while some hiring managers say they don’t read cover letters, those who do may dismiss your application if you don’t send one. “Why take this chance when you need every possible advantage in this job market?” she asks.

While writing cover letters is time-consuming, the consensus is that the effort could give you an edge and help you land more interviews.
Cover Letter Tips: Is Sending a Cover Letter Always Necessary? | Monster

Is your cover letter ready to be sent employers? Use this checklist to see how well your cover letter is crafted:

Cover letter check list

http://www.memphis.edu/careerservices/job/Cover_Letter_Checklist__Directions__Sample_Combined.pdf

What should all cover letters have?
All cover letters should:

Explain why you are sending a resume.

Don't send a resume without a cover letter.

Don't make the reader guess what you are asking for; be specific: Do you want a summer internship opportunity, or a permanent position at graduation; are you inquiring about future employment possibilities?

Tell specifically how you learned about the position or the organization — a flyer posted in your department, a web site, a family friend who works at the organization. It is appropriate to mention the name of someone who suggested that you write.
Convince the reader to look at your resume.

The cover letter will be seen first.
Therefore, it must be very well written and targeted to that employer.
Call attention to elements of your background — education, leadership, experience — that are relevant to a position you are seeking. Be as specific as possible, using examples.
Reflect your attitude, personality, motivation, enthusiasm, and communication skills.
Provide or refer to any information specifically requested in a job advertisement that might not be covered in your resume, such as availability date, or reference to an attached writing sample.

Indicate what you will do to follow-up.
In a letter of application — applying for an advertised opening — applicants often say something like "I look forward to hearing from you." However, if you have further contact info (e.g. phone number) and if the employer hasn't said "no phone calls," it's better to take the initiative to follow-up, saying something like, "I will contact you in the next two weeks to see if you require any additional information regarding my qualifications."

In a letter of inquiry — asking about the possibility of an opening — don't assume the employer will contact you. You should say something like, "I will contact you in two weeks to learn more about upcoming employment opportunities with (name of organization)." Then mark your calendar to make the call.

Page margins, font style and size
For hard copy, left and right page margins of one to 1.5 inches generally look good. You can adjust your margins to balance how your document looks on the page.
Use a font style that is simple, clear and commonplace, such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri. Font SIZES from 10-12 points are generally in the ballpark of looking appropriate. Keep in mind that different font styles in the same point size are not the same size. A 12-point Arial is larger than a 12-point Times New Roman.

If you are having trouble fitting a document on one page, sometimes a slight margin and/or font adjustment can be the solution.
Serif or sans serif? Sans (without) serif fonts are those like Arial and Calibri that don't have the small finishing strokes on the ends of each letter. There is a great deal of research and debate on the pros and cons of each. Short story: use what you like, within reason; note what employers use; generally sans serif fonts are used for on-monitor reading and serif fonts are used for lengthly print items (like books); serif fonts may be considered more formal.

Test: ask someone to look at a document for five seconds; take away the document; ask the person what font was on the document; see if s/he even noticed the style. A too-small or too-large font gets noticed, as does a weird style.
Should your resume and cover letter font style and size match? It can be a nice touch to look polished. But it's also possible to have polished documents that are not in matching fonts. A significant difference in style and size might be noticed. Remember that you can have your documents reviewed through advising, and that might be a fine-tuning question you ask.

Here's the link to the original document posted below

Cover letters: types and samples | Career Services | Virginia Tech

Like videos better? Some Quick Videos on cover letters:

YouTube - Cover Letter Tips - When a Cover Letter is Needed

YouTube - Cover Letter Tips - What To Include in a Cover Letter
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor
Failed to load the poll.