Options

AP connection clarification

cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
This question, albeit rather minor, has popped up during my CCENT studies (i know not CCNA:W but all the wifi gurus hang out here, so i thought it would be ok :p)

My question is that in my reference text it outlines that the connection between an Ethernet switch and an Wireless Access Point a 'straight-through' cable is used.

Granted that a ethernet switch and an AP both operate on Layer 2, wouldnt that suggest that a crossover be used as you are communicating within the same layer, as apposed to communication to a layer above or below the source device?

I may be missing something, but seeing as though a Wireless AP is just a layer 2 "wireless switch" i thought a crossover would be used. This disregards a wireless router.. just a standard AP is in question.

Anyway, I thank thee in advance for any help or clarification of my issue.

Comments

• Options
    snoopgstsnoopgst Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cisco_nerd wrote: »
    This question, albeit rather minor, has popped up during my CCENT studies (i know not CCNA:W but all the wifi gurus hang out here, so i thought it would be ok :p)

My question is that in my reference text it outlines that the connection between an Ethernet switch and an Wireless Access Point a 'straight-through' cable is used.

Granted that a ethernet switch and an AP both operate on Layer 2, wouldnt that suggest that a crossover be used as you are communicating within the same layer, as apposed to communication to a layer above or below the source device?

I may be missing something, but seeing as though a Wireless AP is just a layer 2 "wireless switch" i thought a crossover would be used. This disregards a wireless router.. just a standard AP is in question.

Anyway, I thank thee in advance for any help or clarification of my issue.

An AP is not a wireless switch its a "wireless hub" from the radio to the stations. From the wire side its all lwap/capwap traffic depending on how its setup.
  • Options
    cisco_nerdcisco_nerd Member Posts: 198
    Fair call, my mistake.. i realise this now due to the nature of wifi operating at HDX.. this would in turn explain my original question. i guess i wasn't thinking clearly.

Thanks.