Lab for sale on CraigsList

themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/sys/2218646820.html

Looks good for the price, but I'm not sure on the IOS versions. Is 12.2 good enough for CCNA or should I invest in a kit that has the latest IOS? I was planning on a $2-$3 budget to get a good CCNA/CCNA Security lab but hey $300 is a lot better!

Thanks!
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would pass. How far do you plan on going? I jumped on CL deal for some 2500's a 2600 and some 1900 switches, it was only 100 bucks so I did ok.

After reading a ton of posts on here I found 2600xm's were popular, so were the 3640's and some use the 1700's.

I've been putting my lab together piece by piece and would suggest you go that route. My 2500's not just sit stacked up. I plan on using them to pratice frame relay. Those 1900 switches are good for third level, but you will want to find a 2950 for what they teach for the CCNA.

The IOS you want to try to work with is 12.4. Alot of the material will work on 12.3 IOS as well.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That gear is overpriced and old.

Trying looking around in ebay for

3x 1721's (32MB Flash), 2600xm series (with 1 or 2 serial port installed like WIC-1T/WIC-2T)
    1x router with lots of serial ports for frame relay.
    (e.g 2523, 2600xm with a nm-4as or nm-8as module installed)

3x 2950

Cabling would look like :

3x DCE/DTE crossover cable
    (if you choose the WIC 1T modules as your choice otherwise if you get the WIC-2T would need smart serial to db60)

some crossover/straight through cable
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    impz wrote: »
    That gear is overpriced and old.

Trying looking around in ebay for

3x 1721's (32MB Flash), 2600xm series (with 1 or 2 serial port installed like WIC-1T/WIC-2T)
    1x router with lots of serial ports for frame relay.
    (e.g 2523, 2600xm with a nm-4as or nm-8as module installed)

3x 2950

Cabling would look like :

3x DCE/DTE crossover cable
    (if you choose the WIC 1T modules as your choice otherwise if you get the WIC-2T would need smart serial to db60)

some crossover/straight through cable

+1, great advice.

I looked at kits like for 3 seconds but then decided to go with separates. I got two nice 2610XMs from a member here for $60 a piece. Spent some quality time on eBay and got 3 2950s for $110 shipped. Also got a 1721 with 32MB flash for $15 shipped.

Do your homework, be patient and you will prevail.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Thanks! People on this forum are just great. I have been eyeing the kit from the link on the left <
    (CertificationKits). I'm looking at the CCNA/CCNA Security + Voice and it was like $2200. Don't mind spending the money but if I can do it cheaper all the better.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Keep an eye out for a 3640. I have one and love it. It will run the 12.4 IOS and you can find them pretty cheap. They are module router, so you can make it do pretty much anything you want. I jsut got the 4 serial port NM for 15 bucks on ebay so I can set it up as a frame relay.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action