ROUTE & TSHOOT from scratch in 7 weeks

tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
i like a challenge,

Labbing for the SWITCH exam was a pain in **** , there were so many logistics to think about (wiring, noise, connecting and disconnecting cable and console manipulation etc....). i reckon i can increase productivity by 1 hour just using GNS3 just cutting that out of the equation.

when i was doing my SWITCH exam i couldn't lab more than 3 hours at a time (when you have several cisco kits switched on at the same time- the noise becomes unbearable after then)

after i pass my ROUTE i will do TSHOOT the week after that, that way the material is still fresh.

any tips and hints please let me know. clock starts ticking from today.
Working on CCNP 642-813 and finishing off MCSA.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whats the point of putting such a tight time line? Just study until you know it then take the exam whether that is 7 or 27 weeks.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tndfrtndfr Member Posts: 110
    Whats the point of putting such a tight time line? Just study until you know it then take the exam whether that is 7 or 27 weeks.

Good luck!

i honestly think they we shouldn't dwell on a certification especially if you are in the industry and you know your stuff, a certification is just a formality... you take your time when doing a research degree, a business project, developing a relationshiop etc....

i say get it done before cisco becomes obsolete and employers dont care if you have CCNP or CCIE
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    If you have no other responsibilities and can pull it off more power to you.

I work as a Network Engineer and I have been studying the Route Foundation guide for almost 3 months and I'm only half way through it. I still don't feel ready for the exam. Me personally I would rather take my time and really get to know the protocols and procedures in depth which takes me more time. It doesn't help that we have started a large network redesign, plus my wife is pregnant with our 3rd kid.

I do believe from what others have said that the switch and tshoot exam can be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time. Route however is a much bigger beast.

If you think you can whoop those 2 in 7 weeks, go for it icon_thumright.gif
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thomas A. Edison
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like others have said...if you have the time and can study for upwards of 8 hours a day then you have a shot at it. It really depends on what your certification goals are. I am working on ROUTE right now and I'm about 1/3 of the way through the FLG after 1.5 months. However, I would like to ultimately go for my CCIE. The way I figure it is...the more effort I put in on the front end with CCNP to understand the concepts, it will put me that much ahead of the game when I start CCIE prep. I have to learn it sooner or later and i'd rather it be sooner.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    tndfr wrote: »
    i honestly think they we shouldn't dwell on a certification especially if you are in the industry and you know your stuff, a certification is just a formality... you take your time when doing a research degree, a business project, developing a relationshiop etc....

i say get it done before cisco becomes obsolete and employers dont care if you have CCNP or CCIE

I know where you are coming from, but I still believe that taking the time to master a subject before becoming certified on it is important. A lot of people may be out there cramming or dumping certifications, but I hold myself to a much higher standard than that. When I say I'm certified in something I want that to mean more than just a piece of paper I rushed through. To each their own though.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I know where you are coming from, but I still believe that taking the time to master a subject before becoming certified on it is important. A lot of people may be out there cramming or dumping certifications, but I hold myself to a much higher standard than that. When I say I'm certified in something I want that to mean more than just a piece of paper I rushed through. To each their own though.

I see both sides of the argument. You should take your time and learn, but at the same time I have only really felt like I was good was when I was actually working in the environment that the technology was in. So when I was doing my NP, I worked in a decent sized MPLS wan. There was no need for EIGRP/RIP and IPV6. So I felt I only needed to get my feet wet with those subjects and focus on the task at hand which was getting the cert. I felt that as long as I knew enough to understand what people were talking about was good enough for me.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    i spent four years studying for a degree, when i got my first job in the industry it was like i have never studied anything at all, all that best practice, theory and stuff was out of the window. the goal is to get the job done with minimum fuss

i am mainly referring to people who are already in the industry, it is simple if you are there and working with the damn things why does it have to take 6 months to get certified?!

obviously if you have never touched a switch in your life then that is a different matter... in the networking field you get found out pretty quickly if you are not ready !

i work as a programmer and we get people who fake their CVs, during the interview we give them a simple programming test, nothing to do with the syntax just algorithm, a test that says "show me how your brain works" it could be as simple as: define an algorithm that list the alphabet in reverse with minimal syntax and without using a loop.
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    If you have no other responsibilities and can pull it off more power to you.

I work as a Network Engineer and I have been studying the Route Foundation guide for almost 3 months and I'm only half way through it. I still don't feel ready for the exam. Me personally I would rather take my time and really get to know the protocols and procedures in depth which takes me more time. It doesn't help that we have started a large network redesign, plus my wife is pregnant with our 3rd kid.

I do believe from what others have said that the switch and tshoot exam can be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time. Route however is a much bigger beast.

If you think you can whoop those 2 in 7 weeks, go for it icon_thumright.gif

you are absolutely right, in fact i admire people who have big commitments in life and still try to develop and maintain their skills.

when i was with my girlfriend it took me over 5 months just to get my CCNA,
    since i am now blessed (probably not the right word to use but for now i think it fits perfectly) with not having children or a girlfriend i feel like i can spend considerable time studying.

i dont know how you do it man, but hats off to you.

Thank you, it helps to have a spouse who at least sum what understands what the goal means to you and to the family. My studies don't get accomplished without the occasional argument/disagreement of being socially absent from various daily life.

I used to work 40+ hours, +12 hours a week for college and I had national guard duties. Last time I went back for the Cisco Netacad I was working 60+ hours, +10 hours a week for the netacad, + studying for the CCNA. Shes learned when she needs to just let me do what I need to do and when to help bring me back to reality.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
    Thank you, it helps to have a spouse who at least sum what understands what the goal means to you and to the family. My studies don't get accomplished without the occasional argument/disagreement of being socially absent from various daily life.

I used to work 40+ hours, +12 hours a week for college and I had national guard duties. Last time I went back for the Cisco Netacad I was working 60+ hours, +10 hours a week for the netacad, + studying for the CCNA. Shes learned when she needs to just let me do what I need to do and when to help bring me back to reality.
    wow! i am always on the lookout for inspiration , i have a colleague who more or less has the same commitment as yourself (2 kids, wife and a mortgage etc...), you are now officially my new hero!

seriously though, after i split up with my girlfriend, i suddenly had a huge influx of free time, i look at myself and i say "i have no freaking excuse, i better work my butt off before i start having REAL responsibilities!"

so my advice to whoever is in my situation get it done before REAL life hits you!
    I have a buddy who only has a GF and he has gotten his CCNA-V, CCNA-S, CCSP and JNCIA all in the past 6 months. He's a Network Engineer and all he does is study outside of work.

If you have the time might as well do them now
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
    reading EIGRP chapter from Wendel's OCG, man this guy can write! information flows easy when you have a good writing style!
  • UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□

I hear ya. Wife, 2 kids here as well. Not trying for 3 so good luck icon_lol.gif. Somehow I was able to pass the BSCI studying while my wife was pregnant/had child number 2. I also started a new job which keeps me away from home 11 hours a day. I needed to take a break after all that. Now my kids are 1 1/2 and 3 so it a little easier, but still takes up a lot of time.

All and all. I find this fun. I am taking my time to get the most out of switch and moving on. I have been a network engineer for years now and have lots of hands on, but I will not underestimate the Cisco exams. They can be unforgiving.

Good Luck.
  • UndyUndy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to say I am wondering what you think you will retain from 6 weeks of studying for detailed topics like this. If you are trying to prove you are a great test taker thats nice, but I would find it hard to believe this will help you much in the real world. Sorry, just my two cents.

when i was doing my SWITCH exam i couldn't lab more than 3 hours at a time (when you have several cisco kits switched on at the same time- the noise becomes unbearable after then)

Doesn't bother me really but.. If a few hours of the noise from 3 switches is bothering you, you must not have spent any time reasonable time in a DC.
    Undy wrote: »
    I have to say I am wondering what you think you will retain from 6 weeks of studying for detailed topics like this. If you are trying to prove you are a great test taker thats nice, but I would find it hard to believe this will help you much in the real world. Sorry, just my two cents.

Doesn't bother me really but.. If a few hours of the noise from 3 switches is bothering you, you must not have spent any time reasonable time in a DC.

we can all make a better burger than McDonalds in the comfort of our own home, Mcdonalds are successful at it because they back it up with tangible and concrete evidence (marketing, price strategy, convenience etc...)

the formula is simple: like i mentioned before when someone is already in the industry getting a certification is just a formality (since you work with those things on a daily basis).

i might come across a bit off here, but i honestly think that a certification is not worth much these days and one shouldnt spend an entire life working on it, i just see it as a necessary evil (like that damn ITIL :D )
    i am by no means a Cisco fan, very pragmatic in my choices, if tomorrow HP or Juniper becomes the dominant player i will jump ship without thinking it about it twice.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study formula with little ones....

Read when it's quiet, Lab when it's noisy and stop when you hear breaking glass :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    7 weeks? very tight schedule! goodluck.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Goodluck I am sure you can pull this, the enemy is not the learning, but the tricks on the exam, it looks like Cisco is on the roll with all the complaints form test takers, they ask the most insignificant detail in the exam that we most likely skimmed.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    i am by no means a Cisco fan, very pragmatic in my choices, if tomorrow HP or Juniper becomes the dominant player i will jump ship without thinking it about it twice.

Don't expect that any time soon. Unless Cisco was wiped off the face of the earth tomorrow, I just dont see that happening within the next 5 years, if not longer.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
    we can all make a better burger than McDonalds in the comfort of our own home, Mcdonalds are successful at it because they back it up with tangible and concrete evidence (marketing, price strategy, convenience etc...)

the formula is simple: like i mentioned before when someone is already in the industry getting a certification is just a formality (since you work with those things on a daily basis).

i might come across a bit off here, but i honestly think that a certification is not worth much these days and one shouldnt spend an entire life working on it, i just see it as a necessary evil (like that damn ITIL :D )

I agree with most of what you say. If Cisco somehow disappeared tomorrow it would be no sweat off my back. Just move onto the next big thing. We are all in it for the money at the end of the day anyway.

All that said, I do take pride in what I do regardless. Racing through two exams in seven weeks "just because" isn't taking pride in what you do IMO.
  • cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119

im guessing your not working in the industry?
  • avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    who knows maybe Cisco will have a very very bad year (years). But the underlying technologies will not become obsolete very soon.
    Good luck in your studies.
  • ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    you are absolutely right, in fact i admire people who have big commitments in life and still try to develop and maintain their skills.

when i was with my girlfriend it took me over 5 months just to get my CCNA,
    since i am now blessed (probably not the right word to use but for now i think it fits perfectly) with not having children or a girlfriend i feel like i can spend considerable time studying.

Without really knowing your situation, it sounds like maybe you just haven't met the right one yet. The right woman will support you in what you are passionate about, and also have the sense to realize that if she wants you to maximize your potential to provide for your family....you need to learn this stuff.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
    ehnde wrote: »
    Without really knowing your situation, it sounds like maybe you just haven't met the right one yet. The right woman will support you in what you are passionate about, and also have the sense to realize that if she wants you to maximize your potential to provide for your family....you need to learn this stuff.

the last one i was with freaks every time i picked up a book, it's like "why are you reading, you have a job right, why study so much?!" or "you're too ambitious!".

that was the main reason why we're not together.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    avlad wrote: »
    who knows maybe Cisco will have a very very bad year (years). But the underlying technologies will not become obsolete very soon.
    Good luck in your studies.

This is key right here. This is why I think its more important to understand the BGP/OSPF/SIP/H323/IPSEC more than just learning a vendor. When you understand the technology you should just have to take a crash course in understanding how Vendor X implements it
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related