Options

Marketablely

DEION10DEION10 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_confused.gif: I would like to know how marketable I would be after getting the MCSA. I seven years of IT Desktop Support experience. I hope to have my MCSA by May and I also plan to work on the CCNA in May. For the CCNA I am takeing a month lonth course and I plan to study very. As well as, build a lab of my own with A real SERVER, two workstations, and purchase router. I have even moved 2 block away from the school so that may get in as much study as possible. I have a small deliber, I work in a Novell Envirnoment. Will still have to take an entry-level position to start working my way up to a Network Engineer or at level should try to start at? icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    DEION10 wrote:
    Will still have to take an entry-level position to start working my way up to a Network Engineer or at level should try to start at? icon_confused.gif:

More than likely, yes. Help Desk experience is a step in the right direction, but doesn't make the next step an Engineering position. Do you also possess a Bachelor's or Masters in Computer Science or any type of management degrees?

Personally, I'd expect the next step to be working on a 'team' and evetually leading the team.

What is it that you 'want' to do? Do you 'want' to design network infastructures and secure them? Do you want to manage people? Train? Troubleshoot? What is your primary interest within IT, or are you still investigating?

If you can answer these questions, you can look for a company/position that will offer you more of the things you enjoy. Certainly working a helpdesk for 7 years should have given you an opportunity of working with people, with good reviews from that position, working with the network itself will be a realistic goal.

I'd interview for any position you can try for, perhaps you will find the right fit :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Hi,

There is actually a recent thread talking about the job market that may or may not answer your question.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7143

Also, you can check out this link because it has some good information.

http://workit.leapit.com/news/newsarticle.ihtml?news_oid=1275

Best of luck!
  • Options
    DEION10DEION10 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I need to clarify something. In my orginal question I should mentioned that I have 7 years of DeskTop Support in a network environments. Meaning I have hands on experience troubleshooting, building, and configuring, Network PC, and perphirals. I am not looking to sit on a helpdesk. Totally out. I am currently building and configuring Network Servers, PC's and perpherials.. What I am hoping to move into a position where I can administrator Servers, Swtiches and Routers while working my way up to a Network Engineer I am going in the right direction? If not please point out way which direction I should go.. I for the Links Shadown7, reading them..
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    You're going to get stuck in a crap job without any networking history. It's a tough field to break into, and the jobs aren't plentiful. Plan on going for your CCNP as with just an MCSA and CCNA, it'd be tough to land just a junior network admin position.

I've got 9 years of experience with desktop support, building and administering servers and clients for a number of businesses. My resume is fairly nice and I have an impressive list of professional references. All of which means dick because setting up a local lan for an office doesn't mean I'm qualified to screw around with a companies enterprise routers or yell at bellsouth about why my DS3 is frotzed up :)

So unfortunately, I'm back at the bottom of the heap. CCNA was the first step, CCNP is the next, and I'm failry convinced that without some major contacts, the only way I'm going to end up a Network Engineer is to go pull down a CCIE. So that's what I'm working towards hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    well, the kind of job available for you and your qualification is really depends where you standing at.
    if you stand in the end user side ( company not a service provider ), maybe MCSA/CCNA is enough.
    but if you stand in the providers side - like myself - an MCSA/CCNA will hardly counted as an ENGINEER. helpdesk/support maybe yes. it because the differences of the requirement or the systems they run in specific way.
    the end user side majority uses Windows as their core OS, but if you stand in provider - you will find UNIX/Linuxes, and more advanced devices and its configurations.
    for example : mostly in user side environment they use a router in a stick kind of network, but when you stand in provider side - you will get a totally headache facing not so stub area/NSSA configurations, plus a headache more if you considering security implementation... :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.