Options

IPCC redundancy

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone here work with IPCC?
I'm wondering how the redundancy is supposed to work in a primary/standby environment.

From what I understand, when the primary goes down the standby becomes the active server. Straight forward.

What happens to the agents that are currently logged in? Do they stay logged in? Do they disconnect and reconnect automatically? Or do they have to choose the backup ip phone agent service on their phones?

I was under the assumption that the agents should be logged back in automatically and there is no need for the backup agent service to be subscribed to the phones but Its not working as I am expecting.
Working on CCIE Collaboration:
Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    sandman748 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but does anyone here work with IPCC?
    I'm wondering how the redundancy is supposed to work in a primary/standby environment.

From what I understand, when the primary goes down the standby becomes the active server. Straight forward.

What happens to the agents that are currently logged in? Do they stay logged in? Do they disconnect and reconnect automatically? Or do they have to choose the backup ip phone agent service on their phones?

I was under the assumption that the agents should be logged back in automatically and there is no need for the backup agent service to be subscribed to the phones but Its not working as I am expecting.

Calls in progress are disconnected, and its usually about 5 seconds for failover. Agents will be automatically logged back in, but they will have to go ready themselves.

I forgot to ask, but are we talking about uccx(smaller version) or ICM(enterprise)
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    VERY glad to see a UCCX/UCCE post :D
    Per Cisco UCCX SRND 1.2011, after the primary server fails, the standby server takes it over and agents will be automatically switched to the active server. As you said, agents have to change state to ready manually.
    Calls in IVR ports, CSQs...., as long as are not answered by agents, will be lost.
    "no need for the backup agent service to be subscribed to the phones but Its not working as I am expecting". What did you mean <backup agent service to be subscribed>?
    I have been working with quite some customers on various "partial service" problems. Usually after we restarted UCCX engines, we told agents to log out and log back in to register with the correct (primary) server.

shodown wrote: »
    Calls in progress are disconnected, and its usually about 5 seconds for failover. Agents will be automatically logged back in, but they will have to go ready themselves.

I forgot to ask, but are we talking about uccx(smaller version) or ICM(enterprise)
  • Options
    UCCX is about 25 percent of my job. I use to do a little bit of ICM a few years ago. Call Center is fun, but its very demeaning when its not working the headaches begin.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    Using UCCX. Agents are logging into hardware phones rather than soft phones. I have to subscribe the phones to IP phone agent (I'm actually using a one touch login for simplicity). During testing, I am shutting down the switchport attached to the primary server to simulate failure. Agents are logged out of phones and cannot log back in. I found another service which is one touch log in backup. They can't log into that either.
  • Options
    when you say logging into the phone do you mean extension mobility?
    Currently Reading

• Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    I believe it is some sort of extension mobility. The agent presses services on the phone and chooses one button log in. This service has been configured in the ccx GUI with their extension, username, password and the resource group they belong to. They can log in fine, take calls etc.. with the primary up. But when I test the failover, they get logged out and cannot log back in. Either the failover is not happening correctly on the server side, or the phones aren't smart enough to connect to the new server when the primary goes down. Do you guys work with soft phones on the PC? We're using 7940 series hard phones.
  • Options
    I believe it is some sort of extension mobility. The agent presses services on the phone and chooses one button log in. This service has been configured in the ccx GUI with their extension, username, password and the resource group they belong to. They can log in fine, take calls etc.. with the primary up. But when I test the failover, they get logged out and cannot log back in. Either the failover is not happening correctly on the server side, or the phones aren't smart enough to connect to the new server when the primary goes down. Do you guys work with soft phones on the PC? We're using 7940 series hard phones.

I use a combination of both. I don't really like the softphones for call center. Its a pain. I like having my desk phone with me. Extension mobility is different than the CAD which they log into for the call center. They are logged back into CAD automatically. I havne't done enough testing with extension mobility in the call center to give you pointers on that.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are we talking about IPPA as I didn't see CAD in your post. If users are in IPPA mode, they have to manually log back in after a fail-over happens.
    page 2-28 in UCCX SRND 1.2011
    Using UCCX. Agents are logging into hardware phones rather than soft phones. I have to subscribe the phones to IP phone agent (I'm actually using a one touch login for simplicity). During testing, I am shutting down the switchport attached to the primary server to simulate failure. Agents are logged out of phones and cannot log back in. I found another service which is one touch log in backup. They can't log into that either.